HP/Complex endorsement

I won't ask that, but my 36+ years of marriage (all to the same woman) leads me to ask why you want to start a fight with your wife when she's already happy with you spending the money to trade up a couple of classes of aircraft. :confused:

a happy wife.....is a happy life. :yes:

Listen to Ron.

I've got Ron beat (41+ years), but I agree fully. No reason to pick a fight with your wife. You are a lot more likely to be happy if she's happy.

Enjoy the Bo. I'd love to get some time in one someday.

I've got Ron beat (41+ years), but I agree fully. No reason to pick a fight with your wife. You are a lot more likely to be happy if she's happy.

Enjoy the Bo. I'd love to get some time in one someday.

Why does everyone seem to think there is any sort of argument or fight? There truly isn't. This is a big step and I want to do it right, for both of our sakes. In our marriage, we always work as a team. As well as being happily married for ~ 30 years, we are partners in a successful small business and we are partners in our airplanes.

I am currently registering her in the BPPP training program. It seems that my original question doesn't really matter. We can base the airplane at either airport and the Bo CFI will come to us. I think. So we both get what we want. Win-Win.

But the point of my original question had to do with whether or not changing CFIs in the middle of the program would cause her to have to repeat a lot of the same material with the new CFI, which actually wouldn't be such a bad thing anyway.

There are a lot of good answers and suggestions on this thread. I have already learned a good bit about transitioning to a Bonanza.

But I chose to reply to this one for one reason:
I wasn't asking for support to win the argument. I was asking for opinions, pro and con, so that I could help her make a better decision. She is the one that suggested I post the question here.

I already told her (last night), that most people said this doesn't make much difference, and she should do whatever she feels most comfortable with, as long as we try to get a CFI with plenty of Bonanza experience, at least initially.
Ah! Much better :)

Why does everyone seem to think there is any sort of argument or fight? There truly isn't. This is a big step and I want to do it right, for both of our sakes. In our marriage, we always work as a team. As well as being happily married for ~ 30 years, we are partners in a successful small business and we are partners in our airplanes.

I am currently registering her in the BPPP training program. It seems that my original question doesn't really matter. We can base the airplane at either airport and the Bo CFI will come to us. I think. So we both get what we want. Win-Win.

But the point of my original question had to do with whether or not changing CFIs in the middle of the program would cause her to have to repeat a lot of the same material with the new CFI, which actually wouldn't be such a bad thing anyway.

Your original query and concern seemed location/transport based, not repetitive learning based. I can groc the repetitive learning if one has already covered the material in question with the first CFI, just advise the second guy to talk to the first guy and pick it up from there. I presume that the first guy is going to cover the critical stuff like gear and fuel system, and the second guy can go over it briefly, and move on to speeds, and other aircraft systems.

<edit: which brings up a piece of unsolicited advice on gear and speed. Pretty much all the Bos are getting old. The motors are getting old, the gear box is old, the actuators are old, the pivots are old, the locks are old, and the pilots are(for the most part) old. This has a point, which I'm getting to. The air loads on the gear increase at the drag coef of relative speed. The nose gear retracts back, but extends forward, and is on a pair of drive rods with an articulation in between. The gear speeds on the Bo have gone up with newer production models, but the motor for most of them is basically the same(until you get to the 24V group). The gear asm is all pretty much the same through all V tails, with some minor tweaking. So - whether the BPPP guy says so or not, do your plane a favor and wait on the gear extension until you are slowed well down. Driving that nose gear forward, into the wind, and opening those nose gear doors creates a lot of drag, and it only gets worse > 100kts. I leave my gear ext until I'm on downwind or around 70kts in most cases. As with all opinions, YMMV, objects in mirror, settling has occurred, and pro driver closed course. >

Last edited:

No, it's not a big deal to swap CFIs. I had 7 or more in my PP training and took my ride at 40.0hrs. The key is to own your training and direct it. BPPP should provide a syllabus I imagine, she should track her own progress in it. That's basically what I did with my PTS making notations in it and recording completed requirements. Before every lesson I'd review what I still need for requirements, and where I felt I was still weak and wanted to work into the lesson, then we would come up with a game plane that used 75% of the time efficiently and 25% just playing around.

We sold our 172 and are about to purchase a Bonanza.
My wife will be training for her HP/Complex endorsement. She wants to take the first few hours of training where the plane will be with one CFI. Then she wants to bring the plane to our home-drome and continue her training with a more local CFI. I think she should choose one CFI and stick with him through the training, unless there is a problem.

She doesn't understand my logic and I dont' understand hers, so we need some educated opinions.

Opinions are invited, but please don't ask me why she wants to do this.

I stopped listening after the part where you have a wife who is a pilot and you are getting a bo. You are blessed, my friend.

Go fly and have fun. That's my opinion. :D

Back