How would you program this in G430?

polaris

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
polaris
If you got the following clearance:

"Cleared to the XXX airport via ABC, ABC 180 radial to intercept the DEF 030 radial, DEF, V-123, GHI, then direct."

How the heck would you program this in your G430 and fly it?

With dual G430s, the only way I've thought of is the following:

1. Punch in direct ABC in #1 GPS.
2. In #2 GPS, go to OBS mode and punch in 210 course "to" DEF.
3. Once at ABC, go to OBS mode in #1 and punch in 360 course "to" ABC. Follow that line until you intercept the DEF 030 radial according to #2 GPS.
4. Once you get to DEF, active a pre-stored flight plan in #1 GPS with routing beginning at DEF, V-123, GHI, XXX.

I would just use the built in VOR receiver and coupled CDI. The least button pushing and hassle.

I would just use the built in VOR receiver and coupled CDI. The least button pushing and hassle.

Ok, so you would ignore the GPS programming until you get to a less complicated portion of the flight?

How about if the radial instruction was sandwiched between simple routes, like:

"Cleared to XXX via ABC, HELLO intersection, DEF, DEF 180 radial to intercept GHI 030 radial, FELLO intersection . . . "

Ok, so you would ignore the GPS programming until you get to a less complicated portion of the flight?

How about if the radial instruction was sandwiched between simple routes, like:

"Cleared to XXX via ABC, HELLO intersection, DEF, DEF 180 radial to intercept GHI 030 radial, FELLO intersection . . . "

ABC -> HELLO -> DEF -> GHI -> FELLO

at DEF put it in OBS mode and fly the 180 radial. Use CDI #2 tuned to NAV 2 to intercept the GHI 030 radial. Go back to your flight plan, go direct to GHI, back to leg mode?

You can set the second gps on the second route,when you hit the first way point,hit direct to wherever ,it will usually put you on the radial your looking for. Or go the obs route and fly the radial.

ABC -> HELLO -> DEF -> GHI -> FELLO

at DEF put it in OBS mode and fly the 180 radial. Use CDI #2 tuned to NAV 2 to intercept the GHI 030 radial. Go back to your flight plan, go direct to GHI, back to leg mode?

You nailed it. I like that. It's just super counter-intuitive to program DEF -> GHI.

You found my issue with the GNS series boxes, you have to either use an intersection nearby on the 180 radial or create a user defined waypoint. This isn't bad when you get it in your clearance before you depart. However when they give it to you as an amendment as you're on descent into a terminal area, it is nearly impossible to do quickly enough when flying single pilot IFR. Basically complex V-Airway clearances render a $12,000 unit as featureless as a Kx 155.

For victor airways and things like that, I put in into foreflight, which automatically gives me the waypoints for the 430.

It's just crazy that the 430 can't understand airways.

For victor airways and things like that, I put in into foreflight, which automatically gives me the waypoints for the 430.

It's just crazy that the 430 can't understand airways.

Before the GTN series radios came out and after they put some airway capability in the G1000, I took the Garmin guy to task over this at Sun-n-Fun. He finally got exasperated enough that he shouted, "If we did that, how would we get anyone to buy our next box?" That was all I needed to hear, the answer to the question was, "planned obsolescence." What's funny is that Avidyne may cut their throats with it with their slide in replacements for the GNS series boxes.:wink2:

The GNS480 always had airways. The thing that none of the navigators do is allow you to generate easily an intersection (either between two airways or two VOR radials) if that is not already a named fix. Yeah, I just go back to standard needle-needle navigation at that point.

Gives me something to do in flight.

The GNS480 always had airways. The thing that none of the navigators do is allow you to generate easily an intersection (either between two airways or two VOR radials) if that is not already a named fix. Yeah, I just go back to standard needle-needle navigation at that point.

Gives me something to do in flight.

I didn't get the chance to try it the other day, but I believe you can rubber band it in with the GTN series boxes, not sure with the new Avidyne boxes.

If you got the following clearance:

"Cleared to the XXX airport via ABC, ABC 180 radial to intercept the DEF 030 radial, DEF, V-123, GHI, then direct."

How the heck would you program this in your G430 and fly it?
Create a USR waypoint (call it "AD123") defined by the ABC 180 and the DEF 030 radials, then program:

[departure airport]
ABC
AD123
DEF
[turnpoints along V123 between DEF and GHI]
GHI
KXXX

...in the FPL.

Always use the right tool for the job. Sometimes, using 2 VOR's is the fastest tool.

I was on an IFR flight out of Orlando where they vectored me to join a radial. I tuned the VOR, spun the CDI and was off to the races. I then went to work reviewing the route to see exactly how it would intercept my cleared route and then transition back to GPS when it was convenient.

Create a USR waypoint (call it "AD123") defined by the ABC 180 and the DEF 030 radials, then program:

[departure airport]
ABC
AD123
DEF
[turnpoints along V123 between DEF and GHI]
GHI
KXXX

...in the FPL.

This is how you do what Ron suggests on a GTN series.

pu6eveza.jpg

The FMS used in airliners and business jets make this each. You enter it as a PlaceBearing/PlaceBearing waypoint. It would be entered at ABC180/DEF030.

You can also do PlaceBearing/Distance waypoints. i.e. ABC180/50

Not sure why Garmin made it so relatively complicated. These FMS systems were out there long before they were designing the G.A. units.

Not sure why Garmin made it so relatively complicated. These FMS systems were out there long before they were designing the G.A. units.
Garmin can't "design" to save their life. Much rather put in bells and whistles of dubious worth (like the idiotic highway in the sky presentation, which might work for auto gps but is stupid in a plane) than useful navigational features.

In my experiences, 7 times out of 10 the intersection they are trying to get you to has a name, but because of how you initially filed the computer spits out the FRD (Fix Radial Distance) or in this case just the fix and radial. I've had this happen when I simply file "direct" and the system really wishes I would fly a SID.

One we get here (KDTO) a lot, is "...via radar vectors Maverick 348 radial, Ardmore 179 radial, Ardmore...". That point is the LOWGN intersection and is much easier to enter into your favorite GPS navigator.

Check it out and see if there is an intersection at that point. If it isn't published on the low-enroute chart there is a chance it is on a SID that serves your departure airport.

Garmin can't "design" to save their life. Much rather put in bells and whistles of dubious worth (like the idiotic highway in the sky presentation, which might work for auto gps but is stupid in a plane) than useful navigational features.

May be so, but they managed to capture a market from King, Narco, and others that is now owned almost exclusively by them. A 7 year old 430W box is still worth $7k. What is a KLN90B worth?

The Avidyne 540 is nice, but about 5 years late to the party and with a lot of upset buyers that paid upfront $11k to wait 3 years beyond what they were promised. One guy on Beechtalk has his brand new in the box 540 for sale for $11k and nobody has bought it. I just sold my 7-year old 530W for $9k 5 minutes after posting it for sale. The market has spoken.

That is hella-cool

Can't you do the same thing on a GNS User Waypoint screen (without the little map area, though)? Either enter 2 VOR/radial pairs, or a VOR/radial/DME. Or latitude/longitude.

Yep....tested the local VORs with a student yesterday and they still work exactly like they did 35 years ago!

Can't you do the same thing on a GNS User Waypoint screen (without the little map area, though)? Either enter 2 VOR/radial pairs, or a VOR/radial/DME. Or latitude/longitude.

Yes, it looks a bit more cumbersome to do though.

za6a9yvu.jpg

Back