How would you log this?

superdad

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
superdad
A friend and I are thinking of doing a very long 300nm XC flight. He owns the plane and I would pay my half for gas. How would we log this to count towards the requirements for the IFR ticket?

For the IFR ticket, you need simulated instrument time (40 hours), of which 15 must be with a CFI. Assuming neither of you is a CFI, then as long as one of you is wearing a view-limiting device:
1 - the person wearing the device can log as sim instrument time
2 - both of you can log pic time, as long as the other pilot is acting as safety pilot

To be clear - view-limiting can only be worn if the other pilot is acting as safety pilot. Otherwise, cannot use them.

I'm not sure you X-C can be logged unless one person actually flies the whole leg. Not sure on that one though. Whoever buys the gas does not really matter. If the safety pilot is the agreed PIC while the other pilot is under the hood, the safety pilot can log PIC time for that time as well.

I'm not sure you X-C can be logged unless one person actually flies the whole leg. Not sure on that one though. Whoever buys the gas does not really matter. If the safety pilot is the agreed PIC while the other pilot is under the hood, the safety pilot can log PIC time for that time as well.

Yes good point. Cross-country requires takeoff/landing. Obviously you don't wear view-limiting during takeoff/landing, and when they're not worn, there's only one PIC. Only that PIC can log cross-country.

I believe the answer is that you can log as sim time and both as PIC, but only the PIC who does the landings/takeoffs can log cross country (toward the 50 hour x-ctry requirement).

Note that the IFR requirement for 250nm x-ctry is with a CFI, so your trip couldn't count toward that.

Meeting the cross country requirements: Each of you flies a leg of the flight from takeoff to touchdown. That will takes care of logging cross country time. Each of you will log your own leg as cross country time. (Wayne is correct - only the flying pilot may log the time as cross country.)

For simulated instrument time: the pilot flying a leg does it under the hood with the non-flying pilot as safety pilot.

Yes good point. Cross-country requires takeoff/landing. Obviously you don't wear view-limiting during takeoff/landing, and when they're not worn, there's only one PIC. Only that PIC can log cross-country.
No. Only the pilot performing the flight from takeoff to landing may log the cross country time. The flying pilot may also log it as PIC time (assumping properly rated for the aircraft) whether or not he is acting as PIC.

Who is "acting" as PIC is irrelevant.

Log it as turbo prop PIC, jet time, cross country, and actual instrument.

So he could fly the route down and land, then I would fly the route back and land and log it as XC time? 300nm one way.

Thanks for that link.

First 300nm ain't that long, second does your friend need/want to log the time too? Maybe he'd just let you PIC the whole thing.

You takeoff, go under the hood, he acts as safety pilot, you line up to land, foggles off and you land, all but .2 would be hood time for you, the remaining .2 for the takeoff / landing would just be regular VFR PIC time for you.

Buddy can log all your hood time as PIC since he was the safety pilot, but he looses out on the .2 and the take off / landing.

One of the requirements for IFR is 50 hours cross country. If you don't already have that, I'll suggest flying a leg straight VFR with no simulated instrument, and just honing your PIC skills. Plan the whole leg -- route, fuel planning, weather, etc. -- and fly it precisely, with VFR flight following and a flight plan. if this stuff is second nature, instrument flight is that much easier.

Back