How would you finish training?

Trcpilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Cjayfly1
Currently sitting at 190 hours!
license: Private

Majority of the instruments and commercial requirements are completed!

Instrument requirements remaining:
-250nm
-3 hours w/instruction

Commercial requirements remaining:
-250 total time
-7 hours taa needed
-3 hours w/instruction
-written

What would be your plan of action?
60 hour’s remaining until 250 total.

would you fly with an instructor all remaining 60 hours to complete both instrument and commercial requirements?

Feel about 75% comfortable flying the ifr checkride. Not going to fly it until I know I’m 100% ready.

Would honestly like to hear how you would go about finishing training. Thank you!

That’s a lot of unnecessary cfi hours?

reasoning?

Anyway, besides being expensive, you aren’t getting enough solo time. It’s almost always harder without a cfi onboard because there’s no sharing the load, even if only as look out or picking up a dropped iPad

Bang out one or the other and it’s checkride, then do the other one. Way less of a chance of dorking up a checkride doing one at a time.

Are you a "going at your own pace for fun" person or a "trying to be efficient for an airline career" person, or something in between?

If own pace / for fun, I'd say finish the IR first; you can probably do that in 10 hours with dedicated practice / CFII time, and it sounds like the written clock is already ticking, and then you'll still wind up around 200 hours looking toward commercial, which is a fine place to be too.

If you're a career type, then sure, start working on right-seat CFI skills etc while you build to 250 hours, or start working in some multi time so you can knock out commercial ASEL/AMEL both at 250 hours, or try to get some right-seat instrument time to get ready for CFII, or whatever. I still kind of think the IR is low-hanging fruit here and you should just go for that, but if you're trying to maximize efficiency some of the career people on this board probably have good answers.

I agree with others that "plan to spend 60 hours dual" is a weird thing to propose.

Finish the instrument rating and checkride first, using whatever plane/panel you're most used to. Those skills are the most likely to diminish when not used.
Then work on filling out the hours required for commercial. And, I agree, no reason to make 60 hours all dual.

Thank you all for the insight. I never thought about the right seat to start my transition over to the cfi role in the future. I’m trying to get it done asap! That’s my goal! I will not fly 60 hours dual. Thanks for the heads up!

Are you a "going at your own pace for fun" person or a "trying to be efficient for an airline career" person, or something in between?

If own pace / for fun, I'd say finish the IR first; you can probably do that in 10 hours with dedicated practice / CFII time, and it sounds like the written clock is already ticking, and then you'll still wind up around 200 hours looking toward commercial, which is a fine place to be too.

If you're a career type, then sure, start working on right-seat CFI skills etc while you build to 250 hours, or start working in some multi time so you can knock out commercial ASEL/AMEL both at 250 hours, or try to get some right-seat instrument time to get ready for CFII, or whatever. I still kind of think the IR is low-hanging fruit here and you should just go for that, but if you're trying to maximize efficiency some of the career people on this board probably have good answers.

I agree with others that "plan to spend 60 hours dual" is a weird thing to propose.

:yeahthat:

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

Finish up the Instrument, this should all be with an instructor since you are on final approach for the check ride.

Get yourself to about 235-240 hrs, you can just fly, Collect endorsement, tailwheel, complex, High performance. Add some ratings, Multi-engine, Glider, Sea plane.

At about 240 hours do your final brush up for the commercial check ride with an instructor. Sounds like you already know how to do the maneuvers, if not get enough training you can practice and an have a CFI check your progress every 5 to 10 hours.

If you want to go for CFI I would recommend using the time to work on the CFI, you will be over prepared for the commerical and about ready for the CFI checkride when you get to 250 hours.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Thank you all for the insight. I never thought about the right seat to start my transition over to the cfi role in the future. I’m trying to get it done asap! That’s my goal! I will not fly 60 hours dual. Thanks for the heads up!

Not sure if you could convince an instructor/DPE to do it, but I don't see any reason why a CFI/commerical check ride couldn't be a combined check ride. I think they might balk at combining an initial CFI with a commercial check ride.

It is rather common for Power CFI's adding Glider/CFI privilege check rides to be combined. That is what I did for my commercial Glider and CFI Glider check ride. Better yet I convinced the FAA to do the check ride and it was a free check ride, I don't think the FAA is doing CFI check rides anymore. I had way more glider experience than the examiner giving me the check ride, in fact my check ride was delayed after the examiner hit some powerlines getting current so he could do my check ride.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Back