How Windy is Too Windy for You?

One time during one of my solo flights, I landed a Cessna 162 with 24 kt crosswind without any major incovenience.

I still remember the tower saying that must have been fun! And indeed it was really fun, even though I wasn't too convinced that it was going to be such a smooth great landing.

I would not untie the Pawnee to tow last weekend with the winds at 20G30. You still need to taxi and turn broadside to the wind or taxi downwind. Doing that with a nose heavy taildragger you best be real careful.

Without a load in the hopper (and even with) it's not a nose-heavy conventional gear airplane. With a lot of ag airplanes, when you've got a full load on board, you'll be at nearly full aft trim in many cases. With the hopper empty, not a problem at all.

When the crosswind is stiff enough that you can't turn away from the wind on the ground, however, it may be time to consider plan B.

I've had days when thunderstorms and weather was building as I returned to the airport, and ended up making eight approaches before being able to land in a large conventional gear airplane, due to the crosswind. When you run out of control trying to get down, as in you don't have enough rudder left to align the airplane with the runway and enough aileron to keep the wing relatively level, you've hit the aerodynamic limit for the airplane in that crosswind. I had to shoot eight approaches fully crossed before the wind shift allowed a landing, but once on the ground I couldn't turn to leave the runway. Every time I powered up, the tail kept coming up, and the airplane tried to weathervane. Finally just held the brakes and stayed put until the wind shifted a bit more.

Those aren't the kind of days that one would ever decide to go fly, but it was the kind of day when the winds increased greatly after already in the air. With all the airstrips in the area using the same orientation, there wasn't any point trying to go somewhere else. Plan B, if the eighth approach didn't work out, was to land on a road next to the airport and wait for the winds to improve.

I had to shoot eight approaches fully crossed before the wind shift allowed a landing, but once on the ground I couldn't turn to leave the runway.

Yep, Doug, I'd say you were at the limit. Good thing you had enough fuel to allow eight approaches!

Today the quick trip up to the avionics shop, KAPA-KBJC-KAPA... The wind was gusting to 30 at both ends on the return trip.

The interesting part. Runway at KBJC is 29. Runway at KAPA is 35. Wind was wandering around 330 so it worked for both ends. :)

Even more amazing, Gobosh 77K was chasing me around in it. Tower at BJC asked him after he landed and I was taxiing out how it was... He said it was "interesting". Tower then says to me, "Skylane 79M that was from a recent arrival." "Understood, 79M."

I didn't have the heart to make a wisecrack about different weights. I bet it was pretty sporty in the Gobosh!
The issue with the Gobosh (and LSAs in general) is that they are so light that there's very little momentum to resist the effect of gusts, etc. So it's definitely going to take anticipation/perception/reaction time maintain lack of drift and proper alignment. OTOH, the Gobosh has much less for a crosswind gust to "push" on so, making it "better" in crosswinds than even some larger, heavier airplanes.

Looked "interesting" over some parts of the foothills this morning. Had the appearance of isolated lennies and rotors. Winds aloft weren't that ugly when I checked DUATS...

Yep, Doug, I'd say you were at the limit. Good thing you had enough fuel to allow eight approaches!

I had the fuel, but was running out of patience and energy. Once approaches and landings like that start going badly, things can start to snowball, and just like the wisdom of not trying to salvage a bad landing, it's often best to go some place else when something like that is going on.

The problem at the time was rapidly building convective activity and mountainous terrain. There was no where to go; other airfields were under the same conditions. Large thunderstorms were building in the heat of the day and I was returning from a fire that had been caused by lightening and was wind driven. I had no intention of going back out: I just wanted to get the airplane on the ground and tie it down. As the storms moved through that particular valley, the winds shifted to follow them.

In the same airplane at a different location, I experienced a hydraulic failure when the pump shaft sheared. I was returning to a small mountain airport to pick up a load of retardant, and upon arrival found that my three hydraulic pressure gauges were flat. The airstrip was narrow and relatively short, but the airplane's only form of steering was differential braking (largish, conventional gear airplane: turbine M18 Dromader). Without brakes, in that crosswind the airplane wouldn't have stayed on the ruwnay; it wouldn't have ended well. Also, without flaps, it would have happened at a higher speed, too.

I diverted to another airport where I recalled a good crosswind runway; as it turned out, that runway was no longer in use and overgrown (remembered it from a long time ago). Two other runways were available, but the one I needed was closed due to resurfacing and men and equipment on the runway. I needed it anyway, and requested it from a recently-installed tower. The tower ordered the men and equipment removed, and told me I could have the runway at my risk. Same scenario, lots of thunderstorms building, fewer and fewer choices time went on.

The only other option that day would have been a road, but that also would have put me away from crash rescue and other assistance. I already had an abnormal/emergency, and didn't want to compound it further. Fuel wasn't the issue in either case, but as things progress, especially after repeated attempts, one tends to become frustrated, and that can lead to mistakes or poor decision making. In most cases, it's best to cut losses, go somewhere else, get on the ground and re-evaluate. It's also best not to be in that situation to begin with, of course.

Doug, agreed, trying to force a landing in bad conditions can be worse than just going elsewhere. Quite a lesson here. Thanks.

You know, if you go back and read all the posts regarding flying in wind, including fairly high winds, are not fun but is manageable. We may chose not to do it due to the lack of fun factor, but most of us can and will do it from time to time.

Crosswinds present their own problems, and the amount of crosswind we can takeoff and land in is limited to the particular plane we are flying and our own skill level.

Wind gusts, however, present the biggest challenge. They are unseen and have the ability to flip our aircraft when taxiing and can wreak all sorts of havoc on takeoff and landing.

I feel good about flying up to 20 kts, less happy about flying 20 to 30 kts, but downright unhappy and probably not willing to fly when wind is gusting 25 to 35+ kts. Steady headwinds are one thing, but gusts, to me, are just too unpredictable to play around with.

We flew friday, Sunday and Monday this past weekend. Sunday was certainly sporting into k34. 20-30kts and I start to factor in the reason I am going. 10-15 on the X Wind and I start considering the plane I am in.

A lot of folks from Ixd, ojc, and k34 on here

We flew friday, Sunday and Monday this past weekend. Sunday was certainly sporting into k34. 20-30kts and I start to factor in the reason I am going. 10-15 on the X Wind and I start considering the plane I am in.

A lot of folks from Ixd, ojc, and k34 on here

Sam, what were you flying?

Wind gusts, however, present the biggest challenge. They are unseen and have the ability to flip our aircraft when taxiing and can wreak all sorts of havoc on takeoff and landing.
Agreed! And that's the main reason I don't like to fly on windy days, apart from it just being plain not fun. When it's windy around here, it's usually not a steady wind, it's almost always gusty. And I've had too many experiences with unpredictable gusts coming out of nowhere and nearly ruining my day.

Plus, being an owner, I just don't like to take chances with having to deal with an expensive repair bill (or face a higher insurance premium next year). That's apart from the nearly inevitable 709 ride and who knows what other unpleasantries with the FAA.

I do not fly in adverse weather. Canceled a flight within the past 2 weeks involving two POAers due to high winds. Even at our dinner we checked, many airports gusting to over 30 knots. Not always down the runway either.

Staying local? <25... Going somewhere? Let'r Rip! As long as its safely within the a/c performance. :crazy:

I learnt to fly in Cheyenne, WY. where winds are a way of life. I now fly a lot on the Oregon coast where the typical winds during nice sunny summer days are howling. You do get used to flying in wind and it does get easier.

Staying local? <25... Going somewhere? Let'r Rip! As long as its safely within the a/c performance. :crazy:

We get a lot of wind in my area. I'll fly it local, but don't like to plan trips into a head wind out here. Down drafts off the mountains on westbound trips can be brutal and with fuel prices will adjust departure time to avoid them on long XC trips. I will go after them if it favors the trip (tailwind).

Flew Lubbock to El Paso at night (full moon) with a 25-30 kts headwind. My normal airspeed is about 130 kts, was doing right at 100 on that trip until Carlsbad ... then it went to 65 kts ... was smooth and only an occasional down draft but no rough air. That 65 held for about 30 minutes then subsided. Got to see the Carlsbad city lights for a LONG time.

Our limit is 20kts or the aircraft's demonstrated crosswind component. So:

20kts
13kts x/w for a Maule
17kts x/w for an Arrow

It gets more complicated based on the person's certificate level, if he/she is solo or with a CFI and how much time the CFI has in that aircraft. So overall we have around 10 different wind limits.

Back