How was your Saturday?

Flew today from HPN to Block Island KBID for some of the awesome Clam Chowder at Bethany's (in the terminal building). Return via DXR for some ... well, I was going to say cheap... less expensive fuel. Back to HPN and then home. Off to Carnegie Hall this evening for the Munich Philharmonic Concert. Life is good! -Skip

1.2 round trip through the Columbia Gorge to The Dalles (KDLS) for breakfast. Spectacular!

SAM_1864.JPG

SAM_1871.JPG

This blue heron is so emotionally scarred by airplanes that he just stands by the runup area for hours watching airplanes take off ...

SAM_1879.JPG

SAM_1881.JPG

Got the wing back on this afternoon. Just a couple details and there is a non-zero probability that it could get off the ground.

I spent most of the day grading papers. When the time came to decide whether or not to go fly, there were convective SIGMETs not too far west of me, so it was no go. Probably a good decision. A couple of hours ago a nasty storm moved through the Flint area, downing power lines and closing a stretch of I-75.

Had a great day! Flew to Port Clinton, OH for lunch with a student pilot friend, had a great sandwich at the Tin Goose Diner, and flew back up to Ann Arbor. On the way back I turned on the autopilot aka my friend and enjoyed the view.

The winds had picked up quite a bit by the time we got back, actually. Unforecasted too. It was variable, gusty, and generally strong...for the Skycatcher we were in, at least. 220@17 on short final to 24, but based on the slip I had going there had to be more of a crosswind component than 6 knots.

Also we found out that you can climb or descend by leaning backwards and forwards. Fun fact of the day.

Went to a nice little lunch Fly-in hosted by the Baja Bush Pilots, in Queen Creek AZ (airport 5AZ3). Free Hot Dogs and Chili, and some great people. About 20 planes showed up, in spite of gusty winds throughout the region and 18G25 directly across the runway. Eclectic group of planes, from a Citation & Evolution, to Aero Commander & Seneca, to a Warbird, to a smattering of other single-engine birds and my CT light sport.

The winds had picked up quite a bit by the time we got back, actually. Unforecasted too. It was variable, gusty, and generally strong...for the Skycatcher we were in, at least.
Actually it was forecast... if you checked the ADDS winds chart at 3000 feet, you would have seen they were expecting a pretty strong wind field building up in the afternoon. The TAFs farther west at JXN and AZO were forecasting 15G25 and even (IIRC) 20G30 or even more. That was something else that gave me pause, since if it came true, it would have meant a heck of a crosswind at my home field.

Actually it was forecast... if you checked the ADDS winds chart at 3000 feet, you would have seen they were expecting a pretty strong wind field building up in the afternoon. The TAFs farther west at JXN and AZO were forecasting 15G25 and even (IIRC) 20G30 or even more. That was something else that gave me pause, since if it came true, it would have meant a heck of a crosswind at my home field.

Huh, do you know what time that would be for? I landed around 2:15, 2:30. I might have missed it somehow, but the instructors at the club when I got back weren't expecting it either, at least not that early.

Little over an hour thermalling my paraglider to 6K.

Pretty normal Saturday for me. Did a little flying. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Flew over a Rangers Stadium to watch a baseball game

Then I flew down to Ft. Hood to get some Aerial photos of Air-force One (president was down there)

On the way back, I flew slow and low over Texas Motor Speedway to get a good look at the races. Man those guys are fast.

Was a great day to fly.

999925051677.jpg

Last edited:
Huh, do you know what time that would be for? I landed around 2:15, 2:30. I might have missed it somehow, but the instructors at the club when I got back weren't expecting it either, at least not that early.
Ah, okay. Yes the TAF forecasts that I saw were for later in the day. Not too much later though -- 20Z, 21Z, somewhere in there. Anyway I didn't check the winds charts again since Friday night, but they were showing the 3 kft wind field getting close by 18Z. Add typical sun-driven mixing, and what you saw is what you can expect.

Pretty normal Saturday for me. Did a little flying. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Then I flew down to Ft. Hood to get some Aerial photos of Air-force One (president was down there)

On the way back, I flew slow and low over Texas Motor Speedway to get a good look at the races. Man those guys are fast.

Was a great day to fly.

999925051677.jpg

I see you did some formation flying also! Nice! :rofl:

Had a great day! Flew to Port Clinton, OH for lunch with a student pilot friend, had a great sandwich at the Tin Goose Diner, and flew back up to Ann Arbor.

We flew from Ann Arbor to Port Clinton on Friday evening. We wanted to have dinner at the Tin Goose Diner, but had to go elsewhere as they were closed for the day. We found a nice Mexican Diner very close to the airport.

On the way back my husband was PIC and I enjoyed the view over Toledo and Detroit by night. Very nice... :D

I had stopped flying in 2008, but I've re-upped with my club and on Saturday I finished up my first BFR since 2006. We did a GPS-3 approach into MGJ got some fuel and some coffee, and then filed and did an ILS-34 back into HPN.

It's great to be flying again. I was very happy with how fast it all came back. And I'm sure not going to miss having to update those Jepp books!

Saturday was a GREAT day!

Was a great day to fly.

999925051677.jpg

:lol::lol:

Vandy, you are such an Animal. I was there for this event, I didn't take the offer to experience it.

Had a great weekend with some flying, changing the oil in the Arrow, did my night currency in great smooth air at night after getting tossed all over the place earlier in the day.

Helped with a few things on the Debonair project and helped a friend lift the Fuselage of his Navion.

Ah, also got the Harley Nightster out for some fun and skyped with my son from Bahrain.

All in all a great weekend.

Great did young eagles again,weather was fine,with a few clouds.

I wouldnt say im an animal, lol. I rarely turn down the opportunity for a new experience! YOu should definetly go next time tim!

Vandy, you are such an Animal. I was there for this event, I didn't take the offer to experience it.

Had a great weekend with some flying, changing the oil in the Arrow, did my night currency in great smooth air at night after getting tossed all over the place earlier in the day.

Helped with a few things on the Debonair project and helped a friend lift the Fuselage of his Navion.

Ah, also got the Harley Nightster out for some fun and skyped with my son from Bahrain.

All in all a great weekend.

Well, today is Saturday and its early morning, I have a day off I intend to do as little as possible, but don't tell the wife.

Going to go to Oxnard today, practice for one of my 50nm XC's. Looks like a beautiful day to fly!

Did a cross country today for breakfast,with some VFR pilots, airport was low ceilings and mist. So had to return hungry,as no one had planned an alternate.m

Well that sucked. I have a bit of wind, but can see just about to you from here :)

Soggy out, but the predicted winds are good. Watching the radar, may go for a dune flight later. Coffee is good, internet is still there.

Sitting in my chair with a cold therapy machine strapped to my shoulder, enjoying the pain killers. Had surgery on Tuesday.

Back