How was your Saturday?

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by Scott@KTYR, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Scott@KTYR

Scott@KTYR Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Scott@KTYR
    How was your Saturday?

Today I flew a friend to KCXO (Conroe Texas) (Clear Skies 100 miles Vis) for lunch at the Black Walnut Café (Great Food!!!) in the Galaxy FBO. As we got out of the plane the line guy said the Tesla Car company was giving test drives at the FBO. We drove an all Electric Model S and WOW - it was a Rocket. 0 to 60 in seconds without sound! All in all we had a Great day!!!

How was you day?

Attached Files:

2. FastEddieB

FastEddieB Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Fast Eddie B
    Hell, that's nothing new.

Had to remind me of this:

[​IMG]

Anyway, spent the afternoon cleaning/organizing my hangar while my plane is down for avionics work.

Woo. Hoo.

3. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
    Beautiful day, a bit cold, but wide open skys. Got to the airport and notice that the right wing had dripped some gasoline on the ice covered floor - well, I had fixed the sump drain on the left side, I guess it's time to do the right. I decide to gas up first then pre-flight while preheating.

Push it outside to add fuel - getting over the ice ridge at the door was an effort, but...

Get the ladder out, climb up, check the fuel level in the right tank so I know about how much to add.

Stick comes up dry. What? There should be about 5 gallons in that tank - look down and I see bare metal. WTF?

A closer look reveals that it wasn't the sump drain - it's coming from somewhere else. Cut the fabric off and find that the tank itself is leaking at a weld.

Wing should come off tomorrow.

Other than that, it was a nice day.

4. Henning

Henning Ejection Handle Pulled

Display name:
    iHenning
    Went to the Miami boat show.

5. flyin'gator

flyin'gator Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    flyin'gator
    Fantastic day- did a BBQ run KFTW-T47 and brought back (2) smoked briskets from Louie Meullers' ...meat coma ensued- now about to celebrate hitting 40 with some single malt and who knows- I might even get lucky !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. pbramlett

pbramlett Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    PGB
    My best friend and I flew a super cub around for an hour. We haven't been able to fly in several weeks. It was a great day. The heater worked great in the airplane!

7. N801BH

N801BH Touchdown! Greaser! Gone West

Display name:
    FBH
    Snowin all day here... Worked a bit in the AM.... Tonight....

Homemade Pizza, a strong Rum and Coke and NASCAR 's first race of the season.....:):);)

8. ClimbnSink

ClimbnSink Ejection Handle Pulled

Display name:
    Greg
    Went to the beach, was a little light, made a couple of passes and sunk out. Hiked back to launch and it was stronger but a bit cross, with snow, launched again made a few more passes sunk out and hiked back to the car in the snow. Not bad for February soaring.

9. DavidWhite

DavidWhite Final Approach

Display name:
    DW
    My saturday was pretty good. I rode the Concours a little bit, and did some shopping for the girlfriend (I didn't get her a present for valentines day but she got me one) I'm not in the doghouse but I felt bad.

10. ClimbnSink

Display name:
    Greg
    Not even skittles?

11. frfly172

frfly172 Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    ron keating
    How was the show? Did two young eagle flights and enjoyed the sun,a little cool today.

12. flyingmoose

flyingmoose Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Flyingmoose
    Moved airplanes around the hanger, ordered some parts, started a new annual. Went to a birthday party.. spent some time with the kiddos! Pretty good

13. Old Fart

Old Fart Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Jeff
  14. BillTIZ

BillTIZ Final Approach

Display name:
    BTIZ
    Dead calm with an inversion. New "add-on" student doing well on tow so introduced wake transition and boxing the wake maneuvers on the way up, and cross controlled stalls on the way down. Plus standard traffic pattern, entry planning and landing.

15. Henning

Display name:
    iHenning
    Pretty good.

16. SixPapaCharlie

SixPapaCharlie May the force be with you

Display name:
    Sixer
    Not a bad ending to a Saturday. Flew a student pilot friend around North Texas this evening. Snapped this photo after sunset.

Aside from resizing, this is completely untouched. Rarely do I get a good shot. Tonight I was lucky.

[​IMG]

17. jpower

jpower Cleared for Takeoff

Display name:
    James
    Fantastic day. Got up for the first time in almost a month and it was a gorgeous day to boot. Flew down to the shores of Lake Erie, landed on a rather snowy and icy runway at Custer County TTF, had my friends switch front/back seats, went back.

And got two greasers to boot, one of them with prolly a 6 or 7 not crosswind component, which is always nice after not having flown in a while :).

18. VanDy

VanDy Cleared for Takeoff

Display name:
    VanDy
    Spent some time with the Family, 1.1 in the Tcraft terrorizing a friends strip who was having fun playing with skis! Then went and did 1.4 in a 172RG during some IR training.

19. Pilawt

Pilawt Final Approach

Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'

Display name:
    Pilawt
    We're in Arizona to visit the grandkids and welcome our son home from a month of USAF Commissioned Officer Training at Maxwell AFB, Alabama. He now begins his career as a USAF Reserve Chaplain Captain.

He had to lug this home from Alabama in his carry-on:

[​IMG]

20. asgcpa

asgcpa En-Route

Display name:
    CPA
    Spent it at Epcot. Needed a weekend in sun to give me a mental health boost.

21. Geico266

Geico266 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Geico
    Spent Sat on the ground at an EAA flyin Bfast talking to old and new buds. Nice to see a couple of new young guys from a town 100 miles away. New pilots and one built a Rotorway help and has 45 hours flying it so far. Both are new pilots full of spit and vinegar.

Today, I go flying, tomorrow I install a smoke system.

22. ClimbnSink

Display name:
    Greg
    Smoke, cool. Did you build the system yourself with an RV pump?

23. N747JB

N747JB Final Approach

Display name:
    John
    I flew the 182 to Athens, a whopping 30 minute trip with my wife and our "extra" daughter for our youngest son's fraternity Founders night. Clear, cool and bumpy! But, it beats driving and it's a good excuse to fly.:D Great evening, I think I'm too old for the after party! ;)
    [​IMG]

24. poadeleted21

poadeleted21 Touchdown! Greaser!

My plane is still in the avionics shop, :(

25. eman1200

eman1200 Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Bro do you even lift
    I ate a hot dog and bought some wood glue.

26. N801BH

Display name:
    FBH
    Me too........... I want to build a smoke system....

OK Geico........... Spill all the details...;)

27. N5922S

N5922S Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    N5922S
    Got to enjoy the beautiful TX wx with a short flight around KJSO. Baby bird needs to go back to the shop for fuel injection system adjustment, so I don't want to fly it too much until then. Besides, it's zero-zero at the home drome today :(.

I've been meaning to try that new restaurant at Conroe -- thanks for the pirep.

28. frfly172

frfly172 Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    ron keating
    After Saturdays flying in the pattern,I flew today and claimed another airport in FLA ,in operation fly . Com ,web site.

29. hindsight2020

hindsight2020 Final Approach

Display name:
    hindsight2020
    I did some cruise setting data collection for about an hour, climbed to 11K' and played around with some fuel flow settings in preparation for a possible Texas-Florida-Puerto Rico bucket list flight I'm planning on doing here in the next year.

The rest of Saturday was spent trying to figure out what the hell I was reading on the fuel flow gage. Would it kill them to mark all ticks? Anybody care to guess what this thing reads? That was @ 11K, WOT 2400RPM, 126-127KTAS according to the TAS calculator. The Piper Dos POH is fairly mickey mouse; it only gives data to 55% power, so can't x-reference to TAS at power below that. I still have no idea what the hell I was burning. "Less than 8". Not exactly the answer I want to lean on over water as I try to cheap out and skip the bahamas for the Dominican Republic lol.:D:D

IMG_1837.JPG

30. Henning

Display name:
    iHenning
    It reads 7 to me, which is whatever pressure corresponds to 7gph IF everything in the fuel system is calibrated to factory spec. As for a real fuel flow, these gauges are not that great, get a real fuel flow gauge and you'll be much happier with its readings. If you have a 430/w you can also integrate the two and know if you have enough fuel to make it. If it says you don't, you can adjust power/mixture settings until it says something different, or change your destination if you can't.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  31. N801BH

Display name:
    FBH
    My JP450 fuel flow is coupled to my King KMD 150 and I get instant read outs of flow, MPG, and the ol... "Willy he make, Betty don't" calculations..:D

32. us AAirways

us AAirways Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    us AAirways
    My tractor started right up after sitting for 3 months.:goofy:

33. bluerooster

bluerooster Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    shorty
    I went to work, and changed a few changes that got changed last week.

I'll never get done if these folks don't stop makin' changes, then changin' th' changes. :mad2:

34. Geico266

Display name:
    Geico
    :rofl:

Nope, installing a 5.5 gallon, dual injector system from Smoking Airplanes. I want SMOKE. ;)

35. Geico266

Display name:
    Geico
    I took the weenie way out and bought a premade system. A lot of mistakes are made trying to invent the wheel. Also, it is completely removable except 2 pounds of plumbing hardware.

http://www.smokingairplanes.com/sa-200-series.php

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  36. ARFlyer

ARFlyer En-Route

Display name:
    ARFlyer
    Went Scuba Diving through a Kelp Forest with my cousin. Then had dinner at his place and got a kick out of watching flight training above us. Some guys were doing stall and spin recovery above San Pedro, CA.

37. Bill

Bill Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    This page intentionally left blank
    About as exciting as my Saturday. Grounded thru at least end of June, not allowed to ride the motorcycle for another two months.

38. Maxmosbey

Maxmosbey Final Approach

Display name:
    I need to get serious.
    My Saturday was the same as it always is. I guess I'm in a routine. Got up late, went to the coffee shop for breakfast, went to the farmer's market, stopped by the post office to pick up the mail, ate lunch, then went to my painting class. My son is here visiting for a few days so after class we walked over to Fort Morro and he checked it out. I usually walk over there and draw after class anyway, so nothing new there. Went out for drinks in the evening.

39. MickYoumans

MickYoumans Cleared for Takeoff

Display name:
    MickYoumans
    Trying to recover from the ice storm in the Augusta Georgia area. We were without power for three days but power was restored late Friday night. Now we are in the cleanup mode from all of the limbs that came down during the storm. My place looks like a war zone. I have 150 pecan trees and I think a third of the limbs fell out of each of them. :(

At least the weather is supposed to be perfect tomorrw when I fly back to work. :)

40. MyassisDragon

MyassisDragon Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    Mr Fred
    Got a chance to fly along the lake Michigan shoreline with the wife unit on Saturday and check out the ice around the light house.

Attached Files: