How Was your Long Weekend?

22 hours in the back of a couple of 777's & MD-80's....

Sigh.

Had a great weekend. Wheels up (KFDK) at 9am, direct to KDMW, direct to 58M and landed at KGED. Dropped off a friend who needed to spend the weekend with a sick mother-in-law. Smooth as silk going out. No one on the way back except the 3 of us (me, myself and I!). Wx turned choppy all the way back to FDK...felt like I was getting an inflight deep tissue massage. Wheels down at FDK at noon (3.1 hours). Went home and sleep for until the BBQ party was ready. Rested and after church ate more carbonized meat on Sunday. Was scheduled to bring my friend back in the late evening on Monday and realized I had invited my sister and brother-in-law for BBQ that evening. Oops, can't (or shouldn't) clone myself. Was able to reschedule to 8am and repeated the trip. Everything was again smooth as silk until about 30 nm miles from GED and as soon as I dropped below 2,000 ft, BAM! it was like being in a pot of boiling water...played the rudder dance all the way down to a greaser of a landing...was pleased, but knew I'd have to go back up. Drank a cup of joe and buckled my passenger in for the trip back. Rotated and at about 300 ft, the right wing dropped like crazy, stall hour screamed and my passenger asks how are we going back (come on let me just get through this first!). Sure enough, at 2,000 ft, it smooths out, I change my shorts (figuratively) and head back for a wonderful cruize back with another great landing and another 3.1 hours. 6.2 total...GREAT WEEKEND!

Good Weekend for me as well. First Glider flights of the season. Putzed around in the 2-33 for about an hour and a half over 2 flights. Rode the heck out of the BMW, enjoying the nice weather in WI.

By the way henning that bike is so ugly I think gas would have to be above $5/Gal for me to ride that thing :D:D

I spent another long weekend helping my parents recover from a tornado that hit their neighborhood on Mother's Day. They have lived in the same house for 45 years and now have to move into temporary housing for 3-4 months while all the roof trusses are replaced and the interior of the kitchen is replaced. A truss or two broke and caved in the ceiling. Fortunately no one was hurt. 15 seconds before it all caved in, my Mom was standing under the very spot where the trusses knocked down the ceiling. Hopefully, they will be out this weekend so the builder can get started. Even got my Dad's newly painted truck. Man, they have a ton of stuff.

Attachments

• Right After.jpg
    Right After.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • Kitchen 1.JPG
    Kitchen 1.JPG
    464.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Blue Roof.JPG
    Blue Roof.JPG
    492.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Truck 2.JPG
    Truck 2.JPG
    497.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Porch 1.jpg
    Porch 1.jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 4
Bought my first tank of $4.00 a gallon gas, so I bought a motorcycle.
2528969281_25f9c20b5a.jpg

Tinky Winky likes your new bike
_42980025_twinkybbc203body.jpg

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I spent another long weekend helping my parents recover from a tornado that hit their neighborhood on Mother's Day. They have lived in the same house for 45 years and now have to move into temporary housing for 3-4 months while all the roof trusses are replaced and the interior of the kitchen is replaced. A truss or two broke and caved in the ceiling. Fortunately no one was hurt. 15 seconds before it all caved in, my Mom was standing under the very spot where the trusses knocked down the ceiling. Hopefully, they will be out this weekend so the builder can get started. Even got my Dad's newly painted truck. Man, they have a ton of stuff.

Glad you folks are alright Keith.

Oh man, were you in the Jacksonville area around lunchtime on Saturday?

Naah, I was just south of Nashville, TN then. I wasted some time there, then went up 65-24-57-74 to Le Roy, IL for the night. Sunday, it was 74-39-94 to Eau Claire, WI and then US 29 to Wausau. Monday, 39-74-70-75-US35 to Washington Court House, OH.

Funny thing about WCH - First time I heard of it was on the Sporty's private pilot videos where they show a DF Steer and the FSS guy says it looks like they're over WCH. :goofy:

Naah, I was just south of Nashville, TN then. I wasted some time there, then went up 65-24-57-74 to Le Roy, IL for the night. Sunday, it was 74-39-94 to Eau Claire, WI and then US 29 to Wausau. Monday, 39-74-70-75-US35 to Washington Court House, OH.

Funny thing about WCH - First time I heard of it was on the Sporty's private pilot videos where they show a DF Steer and the FSS guy says it looks like they're over WCH. :goofy:

Well son of a gun...you came right past the house. If you recall pulling a long grade on I-24 going west from Nashville, I live at the top of that ridge (exit 34 I believe...it's the Joelton/Springfield exit). If you roll through again let me know and supper is on me.

Great!

Off 3M3 at 8:45am Saturday morning, landed KTIX three hours later. An hour after that, I was eating fish and chips and drinking fine dark English brew. We then spent the afternoon alternating between the hotel pool and the beach. A TS chased us back to the room about 6, so shower, and a nice seafood dinner along the banks of the Banana River.

Sunday, we went to Calema Windsurfing at Kelly Park on the Banana river, and alternated between swimming, windsurfing, and kayaking. Sherry even took a beginner windsurfing lesson, and liked it greatly. Later, shower, and another good dinner. Life is good.

Monday, sleep in, late breakfast, then off to Playalinda beach, where Sherry used to go as a child. Holly played in the waves while we watched and enjoyed the unspoiled beaches.

Too soon, it was time, and an easy 3:15 flight and we were back to 3M3.

Airplane good, windsurfing good, seafood good, Bill happy!

Last edited:
Bill, on Monday we had to have been fairly close together in time and space. Aint Mooneys great for these kinds of trips?

After one long last full power runup we yanked the Warpdrive & the wings off the STOL amphibion & put them on their rotators in the garage covering & painting bay, leaving the fuse suspended for rotating, covering, and float rigging attachment in the hangar. Lawn mowing, crop planting and BBQs with fresh dandylion greens and Henry's ale interspersed...

Last edited:
Well son of a gun...you came right past the house. If you recall pulling a long grade on I-24 going west from Nashville, I live at the top of that ridge (exit 34 I believe...it's the Joelton/Springfield exit). If you roll through again let me know and supper is on me.

Wilco! :)

What I really needed was to get a lift over to Athens where the Swift Nationals were taking place, and try to beg a ride in one. Oh well. :(

Bill, on Monday we had to have been fairly close together in time and space. Aint Mooneys great for these kinds of trips?

The Mooney is working out to be a really nice airplane. Brent has flown it a good deal more than I, but we're coming up on our fourth 50hr oil change since buying the bird, I'll bet she gets 250hrs on her this year.

That's what Kent loves about this board. He has acquaintances everywhere and hasn't needed to buy his own meals in quite a while!:rofl::goofy:

Haha! I wish I could see PoA people every day. I don't often get a chance to stop for more than 15-20 minutes unless I'm stopping for the night.

Most recently, I had pizza at KLOM with Adam, Bob, and Andrew in early April. I've done dinner with the Dallas crew once, and a second time with just Troy. I've stopped by Chip's a few times, Ames a couple times, and I think that's it.

My favorite thing to do is to have a PoA weekend: I pick up a load in Dallas on Friday, do dinner with whoever's available in Dallas, head up into OK, sleep, get up, go visit Chip for a little while, keep steaming north into MO/IA, sleep, drive to Ames and hang out with Tony and whichever Matts can show up, and then finish the drive to MN/Chicago/WI/wherever. :)

Haha! I wish I could see PoA people every day. I don't often get a chance to stop for more than 15-20 minutes unless I'm stopping for the night.

Most recently, I had pizza at KLOM with Adam, Bob, and Andrew in early April. I've done dinner with the Dallas crew once, and a second time with just Troy. I've stopped by Chip's a few times, Ames a couple times, and I think that's it.

My favorite thing to do is to have a PoA weekend: I pick up a load in Dallas on Friday, do dinner with whoever's available in Dallas, head up into OK, sleep, get up, go visit Chip for a little while, keep steaming north into MO/IA, sleep, drive to Ames and hang out with Tony and whichever Matts can show up, and then finish the drive to MN/Chicago/WI/wherever. :)
Oh, okay. Let's forget about flying with Kate to Clow, shall we?:cheerswine: (Hey, I didn't restrict my comment to driving!:D)

So how come you never "check in" with me when you're in Mpls???? :p

Haven't been there in a while! :no: I generally don't have much time even when I do get there, we have a fair amount of customer freight in that area so it's usually pretty much dump and run (in and out, whatever you want to call it!) I will certainly give you a buzz if/when I do get some free time there at a reasonable hour. :)

Oh, okay. Let's forget about flying with Kate to Clow, shall we?:cheerswine: (Hey, I didn't restrict my comment to driving!:D)

I did! (restrict my comments to driving, that is)

Poor Grant, he's gonna have a complex pretty soon. Bought me dinner (thanks again :yes:) and I always leave it out of my stories! :rofl:

I almost got stuck in Quincy, IL this weekend. Almost! Same situation as when I got stuck in Philly a few weeks ago: Load cancelled late on Friday afternoon (AFTER I showed up to pick it up). This time, however, dispatch was able to find me another one from Edwardsville, IL to Gas City, IN. Then they had another one waiting for me at our drop lot next to O'Hare to round out the weekend. Fun fun.

Spent Monday running an airport so y'all could find some fuel. Had Saturday and Sunday off (someone else ran the airport) so I was at the airport burning fuel. Took a son and two granddaughters flying. One of the granddaughters has really smooth hands on the controls. She is only 14. She will learn in a hurry. The 12 year old is still very tentative on the controls but much more eager to get into the plane and off the ground than last year. The son has really smooth hands too, but with many many hours in C-130s, he should have.

Saturday we worked in the garden for most of the day, then went up to Manson to see a freind that had a triple by-pass.

Sunday we slept in until 1100, then took the pair of GS's to Bothell to visit a friend who is in Hospice (terminal colon cancer.....:( )

Monday we both worked.

Back