How to present Aviation?

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Young person (16yrs) you do not know wants a 1-hr briefing on “Aviation (flying, probably) as a Career” (at noon today)

What to cover…Go!

We’ll spend some time at the airport, show her the planes I fly and any others I can get close to. We’ll probably grab a bite so we can chat and I can field questions or lead a discussion.
Wish I had an plane to go for a ride, but but this time.

Huge pressure, important task!

Last edited:
An outline would be good, as an off the cuff start;

-Types of flying jobs (mil/121/135/91 and all their dozens of sub-parts/ maybe also mechanicking/atc/faa)
-What some jobs are like, day to day: I can guess at typical 121, 135, tell her about my jobs
-demand for aviators is not always high
-How aviation is different from other jobs (importance of precision, accuracy, attention to detail, observational skills, procedure adherence, professionalism, lifelong learning, inside work, often a dress code,)
-Flying subtopics: aerodynamics/weather/comm/navigation/instrument flying/ regulations)
-Remuneration/hours/benefits
-Downsides: training costs, length of pathway to get in the left seat, safety/relationship stress/often much relocation/pressure to perform 100% each time, responsibility, boredom, constant testing

Last edited:
Stay away from technical things except in light doses…glazed eye territory.

Medical, dangers thereof, loss of career if losing it. Backup plan

Young person (16yrs) you do not know wants a 1-hr briefing on “Aviation (flying, probably) as a Career”
Given she wants the "briefing" keep it simple and positive. Nothing negative. My 1st two questions are always what do you know about aviation and what do you see yourself doing in aviation. Take those answers and go from there. Stay away from dry details until your 2nd or 3rd meeting. And the best advice I was given is to think like a 16 year old. Good luck.

Talk about types of careers and then how do you get there. Steps along the way. Military, Civilian and/or both

Types of careers besides pilot, A&P, Weather Guesser, Dispatcher, Flight Attendant, Airline Ticket Agent, Ground Crew, ATC,

If there’s an EAA Chapter nearby, suggest a Young Eagles flight.

Last edited:
Start with part 61 and the subtle differences between between the different ratings and authorizations.
Then the differences between part 91, 135, etc.
Of course, the various medical certificates - what kind you need and when.

Mention that there are aviation careers other than being a pilot, aerospace engineering being a great example and an excellent backup plan. Also ATC, maintenance, aviation law, etc., etc.

Mention that there are aviation careers other than being a pilot, aerospace engineering being a great example and an excellent backup plan. Also ATC, maintenance, aviation law, etc., etc.

if they want top tier, become a pilot. If they want to settle for boring and mediocre, then the rest apply. ;)

Given she wants the "briefing" keep it simple and positive. Nothing negative. My 1st two questions are always what do you know about aviation and what do you see yourself doing in aviation. Take those answers and go from there. Stay away from dry details until your 2nd or 3rd meeting. And the best advice I was given is to think like a 16 year old. Good luck.

I agree with most of this, except the two questions "what do you know about aviation and what do you see yourself doing". When I first developed an interest in aviation, those two questions would have turned me off. When you are a complete novice, you don't know what you don't know. My answer would have been that I know nothing, even though I had done quite a bit of background study. That suggests that I am an idiot for showing up with no knowledge of the subject. "what do you see yourself doing" is a bit intimidating. My answer would have been that I have no idea, and that would have reinforced the idea that perhaps this may not the right career path for me.

My advice: show an interest in her education and personal interests. Then make a connection to aviation if that is possible. Don't interrogate her why she is here, and what she knows about aviation.

Last edited:
Too many young people looking at aviation have no real interest in planes, flying or aviation. It's just a way to make money without digging ditches.

When I first developed an interest in aviation, those two questions would have turned me off.
Well that hasn't been my experience in the years of helping young people into aviation. I've found when the person specifically inquires about aviation, as with the OP's case, knowing the why they asked about aviation assisted me in what route to take the narrative. Not saying it couldn't happen, but never had someone run away or lose interest after the 1st meeting and asking those questions. 2nd or 3rd meetings sure, but that was usually due to other reasons or requirements.

For a just chatting session. As other said - keep it light and find out more about their interests and perception of aviation. It is so easy to talk about all the negative stuff - especially the medical. Logically its a waste of time if they are on ADHD meds, etc. Then again that is private between them and their parents.

But I think what they really want is a ride and the flying environment. I think I have taken up 3 kids now exactly that age AND a self-professed interest in aviation.

I always do summer evening flights about 90min before sunset. We chat while I preflight and lots of plane questions come up which is great. When we take off the first thing I do is fly to a controlled airport (our nearest has parallels). Its a typically a pretty active environment.

They get to hear "pilot talk". Very good chance they will see another plane in the air passing or landing just beside us, etc. They'll see jets on the few FBO ramps. On one occasion I pulled into a FBO and we got out and I introduced them to a CFI who chatted to them for about 15 minutes. On the short flight back I let them fly - if they want to. Right now 1 of the 3 has done a 1hr discovery ride with a CFI and planning his Private next summer between HS and college. He has selected a medium sized college with small flight school as his number one choice.

I really wish the parents had more interest though.

Well that hasn't been my experience in the years of helping young people into aviation. I've found when the person specifically inquires about aviation, as with the OP's case, knowing the why they asked about aviation assisted me in what route to take the narrative. Not saying it couldn't happen, but never had someone run away or lose interest after the 1st meeting and asking those questions. 2nd or 3rd meetings sure, but that was usually due to other reasons or requirements.

To give you another example, recently I made some inquiries about getting my ATP. Seeing a middle aged guy with grey hair, the school was asking why I was interested in it. I have no reasons, except as a personal challenge. I have no plans of taking up a career that requires an ATP. However, since I am far more confident now than I was when I was younger, I was able to direcly tell them that I was doing it just because I wanted to, and discouraged that line of questioning. Back when I was younger and timid, I might have made up some lame reason why this was the logical step for me, just to come across as someone who had his career plans all figured out.

Another example, after my undergrad in engineering, I had a potential business plan, and I approached some guy who was supposedly successful in business. His first question was, tell me why your idea is the best one since sliced bread. I couldn't, because I didn't think my idea will transform the world like sliced bread did. In hindsight, 30 years later, I know that the dude meant well, but his message had the opposite effect of what he intended.

I'd start by just asking what interests her about the idea, if she's had any previous experience or impressions. Asking questions is in my opinion a better way of figuring out what "briefing" she needs. Go from there. She wants to fly for a living? Great, outline the path to that through Private, instrument, Commercial, time building... then the career options. She wants to fly for fun? Great, just cover the Private path. Or maybe she just wants to fly, doesn't know what she wants to do from there, and just wants to figure it out. Broad strokes, limit the detail. She's 16, she's got years to get it figured out.

Stay away from technical things except in light doses…glazed eye territory.
Absolutely.
Medical, dangers thereof, loss of career if losing it. Backup plan
That can come during a subsequent second meeting too. I would however mention that there are a LOT of things that can kill an aviation careen -- and hobby -- dead, so stay away from drugs and alcohol and anything else that can get you thrown in jail.

Don’t introduce them to PoA.
Gotta agree... at least at first. There's so much well intentioned but conflicting advice to be had, not to mention the often withering response to un- or ill-informed people asking what to them may seem innocent questions. We can be a pretty jaded bunch sometimes.

Id try and let her ask the questions and steer the conversation. I probably wouldnt mention the nuances of 121/135 and the fars in general. That still makes my eyes glaze over.

I would mention the need for a medical and how some seemingly innocuous diagnosis could create problems. Not to mention the need for sobriety from drugs and alcohol

A pilot is a glorified bus driver. Not a winning approach?

It's going well, I had to shift gears a bit because apparently there are high schools that have aviation classes, and she's in one! Refreshing to have someone know the airplane part already, so I can ask how is it controlled and what it does. Same with meteorology, communication, navigation, etc etc.
We established early that aviation is not a done deal; other careers are possible and she is just exploring all options at this point. Her instructors have already told her of the many different aviation opportunities out there including maintenance.
We talked about how the airport functions; and looked over piston & turbine helos; piston & turboprop & turbofan fixed wing airplanes. We looked inside some engines, sat at the controls of the CJ.

One of her classes besides aviation and robotics etc is drone-flying. Her chance to fly a drone in class was kiboshed when the student ahead of her crashed it, so she is going to fly mine tonight.
We are having fun.

Every now and then I meet a youngster who gives me hope for the future and today was one of those!
(unlike what my elders surely thought of me!)
Actually thanked my newest hire for restoring my faith in his generation. I think it's important to let someone at that age know you're impressed and to keep it up. Any age really, but especially that age hearing it from someone outside the home or school really does mean more imo.

"what do you know about aviation and what do you see yourself doing". When I first developed an interest in aviation, those two questions would have turned me off.

Way back when I was 7 years old our assignment was to write a paragraph on ''What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up''.

My paragraph was ''I Want To Be A Pilot When I Grow Up''.

My second grade teacher wrote on my paper, ''You will never be a pilot with your math grades like they are''.

I am sure she meant well, but I told myself if I can't fly airplanes I'll race cars instead. At age 32 I decided to try flying. Turns out my math grades and permanent record didn't hurt me after all.

My point is... be careful with words around kids and young folk. What is said might be taken the wrong way.

(I was such a sensitive child...) :lol:

Don't forget to mention engineering can also be an aviation related profession.

Don't forget airport operations and airport management! I used to be in an Aviation Explorer member in high school and my first couple years of college where I was introduced to this profession. The leaders of this local Aviation Exploring post were airport managers where we would get a tour of the airfield, see planes up close, taking a tour of ARFF and vehicle maintenance facilities, and seeing their state-of-the-art ops center.

Off the top of my head, I would say what got me interested in this industry would be the many interesting roles in this profession. At a large hub, some interesting roles she could work would be in Airside/Airfield Operations inspecting runways (while seeing 747's and A380's up close) to working in an airport operations center/tower.

At my large hub airport I work at, I started in Airside Operations doing various airfield inspections and now I work in the Airport Operations Center, assigning gates to airlines, and helping with diverted flights or irregular operations for flights.

If a second visit or more time is available, see if you can arrange for a control tower tour.

My second grade teacher wrote on my paper, ''You will never be a pilot with your math grades like they are''.

I am sure she meant well, but I told myself if I can't fly airplanes I'll race cars instead. At age 32 I decided to try flying. Turns out my math grades and permanent record didn't hurt me after all.

My point is... be careful with words around kids and young folk. What is said might be taken the wrong way.

(I was such a sensitive child...) :lol:

And how did she know how much (or little) math skills are required?????

MANY people over estimate what it takes to be a pilot.

And how did she know how much (or little) math skills are required?????

She was approximately 109 years old. I thought she new everything. And I hated math class, so I wasn't going to do more than I had to do.

MANY people over estimate what it takes to be a pilot.

You're right. I thought a person had to be as smart as a rocket surgeon to be a pilot. Silly me, all it takes to be a pilot is money...:lol:

Back