How to navigate when the VOR is not received

2nd505th

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
2nd505th
I’m entry level into IFR flight. My plane only has VORS and DME. Often I cannot receive the VOR. One example the PDK VOR IS 17nm away from RYY but I did not receive it until climb out of KRYY to 4000 MSL. Then I flew to KFTY for the VOR A for rwy 26 (the PDK VOR was being received by then) then went missed came back around to rwy 8 for the ILS then went missed to the hold for it. That hold requires the LGC VOR 57nm away. Could not receive it, so used ForeFlight. I would think the DPE won’t approve. So what do I do when I cannot receive so the DPE won’t gig me?

You should be able to receive them. Were you above the MEA or minimum altitude for that segment of procedure? Are there NOTAMs for unusable radials/distances/altitudes for those VORs or for the approaches? Is your radio a POS?

The missed approach for the ILS runway 8 doesn’t require use of the LGC VOR. RMG VOR and DME are sufficient.

On the climb out, follow the departure procedure. If you cannot receive VOR signals at the right time, something is wrong.

VORs are also being slowly decommissioned. Make sure yours is not one.

I miss the VORs that are being decommissioned. The aircraft I fly do not have GPS, so I really miss the VORs.

Tell the controller you are unable to receive the vor and need alternate missed approach instructions.

If you can't receive a VOR 17 nm away pretty soon after takeoff (let alone by 3000 AGL) and are having trouble receiving others as well, I'd suspect your equipment needs some fixing - antenna, cables, corroded connectors, something in the radio itself limiting sensitivity, etc.

Because the airplane you bring to the checkride needs to be capable of performing the tasks required.

If you can't receive a VOR 17 nm away pretty soon after takeoff (let alone by 3000 AGL) and are having trouble receiving others as well, I'd suspect your equipment needs some fixing - antenna, cables, corroded connectors, something in the radio itself limiting sensitivity, etc.
Kinder than @dmspilot's comment radio problem sounds like a definite possibility.

I’m sure you’re doing the required 30 day VOR checks, right? Are those working?

You should be able to receive a L VOR signal for 40 miles once you're at 1000AGL. If you're not getting a VOR that is 17 miles away until you're at 4000msl, there is something wrong.

The ILS 08 missed does not require you to receive LGC immediately. Rather, you should intercept and fly the RMG 132 radial to 4000 where you should be able to receive the crossing radial from LGC to identify DALAS. unless LGC is NOTAMed out of service, you should be able to receive it. If not, you likely have a radio reception issue that needs to be addressed.

Just to be complete with the how far from the VOR should you have accurate reception discussion.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim_html/chap1_section_1.html

TBL 1-1-1
VOR/DME/TACAN Standard Service Volumes

SSV Class Designator

Altitude and Range Boundaries

T (Terminal)

From 1,000 feet above ground level (AGL) up to and including 12,000 feet AGL at radial distances out to 25 NM.

L (Low Altitude)

From 1,000 feet AGL up to and including 18,000 feet AGL at radial distances out to 40 NM.

H (High Altitude)

From 1,000 feet AGL up to and including 14,500 feet AGL at radial distances out to 40 NM. From 14,500 AGL up to and including 60,000 feet at radial distances out to 100 NM. From 18,000 feet AGL up to and including 45,000 feet AGL at radial distances out to 130 NM.

I appreciate all the responses and have decided to have an avionics shop run a signal test in an attempt to isolate the problem. At least that’s what I’m calling it. I asked that they send out minimum signal that I should be able to receive.

Just to be complete with the how far from the VOR should you have accurate reception discussion.

The service volumes are irrelevant for published routes and intersections.

FYI - I fly from KRYY, have used the VOR's from ROME, PDK, ATL etc. I've picked them up at 2000' Something isn't right with your VOR.

BTW - what flight school are you using? I used / now rent from Superior / Phoenix East.

Back