How to join scat hose?

GTO Tiger

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
GTO Tiger
Hello all. On several parts supplier websites I see this note along with their ad for scat hose: "Lightweight and extremely flexible. Short sections, which are normally unusable, can be joined together to form a continuous length." But I cannot find any info on what the proper method is to join them! Anybody know?

SCAT is spiral wound with stiff wire. The wire acts like threads so pieces can be threaded together by screwing one end into another.

Nauga,
heated

That makes sense but do they need to be sealed with something (permatex, hose clamp, etc) or is screwing them together good enough?

Depends on what you're running through it I suppose, but I just screwed them together for a few turns for cabin air.

Nauga,
all hosed up

If you are screwing them together, remember to orient the joints so that the downstream end is the outer piece on the joint.

Nauga, I am using mine for carb heat so I think that should be fine.

Craig, good point on the joint orientation!

but do they need to be sealed with something (permatex, hose clamp, etc) or is screwing them together good enough?
To add to the above, I've never sealed/secured any screw joints with no issues but have seen people use lead/aluminum tape and tywraps for an added level of security. But if your plan is to take a number of short hose remnants and make a long hose ensure you plan out where your joints are. While straight runs are no problem if there are any tight bends, service loops, etc, you tend to loose some flexibility at those joints which in some cases may cause issues at those joints. I mainly used this for repairs or if replacing the entire hose run was not feasible at the moment. And just for some other FYI: this method works better with CAT hose and doesn't work with CEET/SCEET hose. And another way to remember the joint orientation is always have the exterior/overlapping hose section point to the air source. There have been instances when the opposite was used and the interior material edge folded up in the air flow and restricted it.

Last edited:
Bell206, yes, I want to piece some new pieces of SCAT hose. I misunderstood the ordering method from the supplier and got 4 pieces of 1' long hose instead of 1 piece of 4' hose that I was going to cut to exact length! Multiple supplier websites say remnants can be joined, but NONE of them told how! I contacted one supplier and he said he did not know either. I will only have to join two pieces so I am not worried about them unscrewing from each other.

I will be mindful of the joint orientation and location! Thanks!

If the external string moves it allows the internal wire to move and the unit fails.
If you run an external bead of RTV to secure the string the piece will last a lot longer.
Bending the wire and assuring the clamp captures the wire and string will also promote longevity.

The old material makes excellent “Chafe Pages” for the new piece or other applications.

On some aircraft ( C-150 carb Heat Inlet) punching a small hole in the lowest point allows water to drain rather than accumulate and rust the wire,

Back