How to have an incident

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, anyone. Back in the day, I thought I was hot-shyte, pilot of the gods. Then one day my little red plane is sitting in a bean field and I'm standing next to it going; 'hmmmmmm, I sure did not see that coming.' Lucky me, the farmer didn't mind cutting a few hundred feet for me to hop out of there after I fixed it.

Meant like when buying disability ins there is generally a 6 month exclusion period where no payouts, didn't know if was same in aviation. ( I rent due to club being way cheaper....therefore no insurance as they cover me and the A/C)

No, there is no such clause on property insurance.

Well bye bye everyone I will no longer be posting under this ID.

Thank God. Better yet, how about promising to never post under any ID,

Now if Jeff King would just follow your happy ass out the door then we'd be set!

It's not a personal attack against him. If someone else had done this he would be all over this thread giving his expert advice. Just like he did in this thread.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3837

At least he is man enough to keep the same ID over the years so you can go back and see what he posted.

Changing IDs so you can spew crap without it following you is childish at the very least. You should be ashamed of yourself if you are a grown man. I'm quite sure it doesn't bother you in the least as it is with most who behave this way.

Maybe another attempt to kick a fellow pilot who just gear upped and came here and spelled it out for others completely accepting responsibility will make you feel better?

Yup, anyone. Back in the day, I thought I was hot-shyte, pilot of the gods. Then one day my little red plane is sitting in a bean field and I'm standing next to it going; 'hmmmmmm, I sure did not see that coming.'

It is surreal isn't it, and how fast things can go bad?

I think the strangest memory I have... I was bit stunned with the plane sliding across the parking lot when it hit the curb and the tip tank burst instantly igniting 17 gallons of 100LL out my right window.... I don't remember any heat.. but an intense white light to my right. Thankfully all the fuel stayed behind and I continued over an embankment into another parking lot with a small fire on the wingtip. The most surreal thing however was seeing that right main wheel bounce towards me as I scrambled out and having literally to dodge it. Don't want to take away from Henning's thread but here is the Wall-mart security cam video of the accident: http://youtu.be/4ZqHHUsGXvc

Is there an exclusion period on aircraft insurance?

Depends on the binding authority of the agent. Some can issue an immediate verbal binder, like AVEMCO, because as direct writers they don't have to submit the risk to a 3rd party underwriting authority. Others may have to wait for a quote, then fax a written binder to the risk. Still others issue a wriitten binder specifying the risk waits until 12:01 am on the day specified for the coverage to begin. But once bound, coverage is force according to the terms of the contract.

Personally, in this day and age I would never assume coverage is in force until I receive an email to that effect.

Now if Jeff King would just follow your happy ass out the door then we'd be set!

Don't worry Tim I won't be staying much longer so you can go back to your usual business whatever that might be. Someone had mentioned this on red board so I thought I'd share my experience.

It is surreal isn't it, and how fast things can go bad?

I think the strangest memory I have... I was bit stunned with the plane sliding across the parking lot when it hit the curb and the tip tank burst instantly igniting 17 gallons of 100LL out my right window.... I don't remember any heat.. but an intense white light to my right. Thankfully all the fuel stayed behind and I continued over an embankment into another parking lot with a small fire on the wingtip. The most surreal thing however was seeing that right main wheel bounce towards me as I scrambled out and having literally to dodge it. Don't want to take away from Henning's thread but here is the Wall-mart security cam video of the accident: http://youtu.be/4ZqHHUsGXvc

:eek: Good thing the fire stayed behind and you didn't end up in it, glad you managed to dodge the wheel as well, that could hurt. It's interesting that some people walk away from thing that kill others...:dunno:

Depends on the binding authority of the agent. Some can issue an immediate verbal binder, like AVEMCO, because as direct writers they don't have to submit the risk to a 3rd party underwriting authority. Others may have to wait for a quote, then fax a written binder to the risk. Still others issue a wriitten binder specifying the risk waits until 12:01 am on the day specified for the coverage to begin. But once bound, coverage is force according to the terms of the contract.

Personally, in this day and age I would never assume coverage is in force until I receive an email to that effect.

I had that email before departure, so far no indication of a problem from the insurance.

Yes, that is factual. For the prior week when I found out I'd be able to get the time off for sure up until Monday I had been working with another agent that was a flake and wasn't getting back to me. I had lunch on Monday with EppyGA at LZU and asked for his agent as I wasn't going to fly into Airventure uninsured. That agent got back to me Tuesday on schedule and we bound the insurance.

If you have any problems after you get though this, try AMRG who is a broker. They worked with me extensively to make sure I could get insurance... even arranged a call with one of the insurance companies and help me write up the accident explanation when we renewed. They are out of Michigan but can handle everything on the phone/e-mail. I'm currently paying $1900/yr on my Aztec with $45K hull.

Aerospace Risk Management Group, Inc.
Phone: (517) 627-9700
Fax: (517) 627-9797
www.avnins.net

Henning,
You and I have not always agreed but I've always enjoyed the debate and I respect your opinion. Thanks for sharing this incident. I know some ops inspectors that I would not hesitate being up front and frank with because they are fair and but I've also run across a few that I wouldn't make any statement to without counsel because they are grade a #-holes. The problem is knowing which category someone falls into without personally knowing the individual asking the questions. Immediately after an accident or incident is probably not the time to be offering up information as you might be in shock and not thinking clearly. Just my opinion, YMMV. Glad you're okay and I hope everything turns out well in the long run for you. This incident proves no one is immune to distraction or fatigue or any of the contributing factors listed in accident reports--it's something we all are one flight away from experiencing first hand. I have to laugh at the poster declaring it will never happen to him--that's exactly the pilot I would put money on to someday have to eat those words.

Well bye bye everyone I will no longer be posting under this ID.

I'm laughing my f*cking ass off! The great Henning turns out to be an incompent bumbling fool who gave up her certificate like a little girl because the nice inspector said so.

It must be hard carrying so much anger and frustration around. Life really doesn't have to be so difficult if you don't let it.

I hope you come back in a few years under a new ID with the edge worn off.

I found it interesting that after my trip to the bean field my scan for emer landing sites improved dramatically. After that, every piece of brown dirt, green field, and black roadway I was sizing up for how, where, and what I would land on.

As an aside, while driving I started looking at roads as potential landing sites, and decided that they really weren't the best, or even second best option except for at night when the rest of the countryside is in darkness. Lots of wires, and poles, and cars, and people, and other crap that would really mess up the tin. Much rather have a bean field, or corn, or wheat, or cow pasture, just about anything but a road during the day.

:rolleyes:

Based on what? His larger than life internet persona? Hubris, the term used by Jeff, is very appropriate here.

There is absolutely no reason to ever have a gear up incident. First of all, flying in a plane with an inop gear horn and not even knowing his OWN plane has a gear horn is inexcusable. Someone else had to point out in his OWN POH. Every plane I fly, I read the POH from cover to cover. Secondly, by following a few simple rules you will NEVER have a gear up. Don't even touch the flaps until you have extended the gear. Never. Always check for the green lights multiple times including short final. I always not only check but touch the gear down lever multiple times reminding myself. And please don't blame the last annual. Has this been your only annual? It is all their fault? How on earth can you own a plane not even knowing that it has a gear horn? Incompetent. I'm sorry to be harsh but you need some major remedial training here.

My take on this? Yes fatigue and lack of a process (checklist or whatever). But also clear to me HUBRIS ("I've got this, I'm a super pilot") and lack of recent experience. I'm sorry to say this it was just a matter of time his attitude in his tens of thousands of posts on this and other sites is clear.

don't want to keep stirring the pot, but I've never had an issue with Henning. In fact, I've found him to be very helpful in most of the threads I've come across. Although I haven't been on here a long time, I've seen abrasive personalities but never considered Henning to be one of them.

After some discussion of the event with Kimberly, I have come to the conclusion that this is all her fault, and she even pointed it out. You see, I had invited her to fly to OSH with me which she declined. She asked, "Do you think if I was with you that this would have happened?" I told her "No, I don't think it would have, I would expect that you were paying attention to what I was doing and cross checking me. I would have expected a "gear check" by 300'"

So it is now all Kimberly's fault and I'm going to have her take the 709 for me.

The other thing it points out is why commercial and business aviation is so much safer than GA, 2 pilot cockpits, it's not a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back