Status
Not open for further replies.

Henning

Taxi to Parking
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHenning
Deep fatigue from traveling 2 days and waxing my plane in the Atlanta heat, waking up at 3am due to being on Italy time, long flight to OSH, hold for an hour then getting beat by some of the strongest turbulence I ever encountered, even the dog was puking. Since I was holding at 2300' and 135kts as directed, with the low ceilings and severe turbulence I never climbed or accelerated and 135 is my downwind speed, as I added flaps normally the plane decelerated normally, never got a gear horn. As I entered the pattern the turbulence subsided and I just relaxed too much.

When the FAA dude asked what happened I answered with 2 words, "I forgot". He liked that and the fact that I had not put the switch down or pulled the breaker and tried to bull**** some excuse. I explained my analysis of the incident (due to the minimal level of damage it's an incident not an accident) coming down all the links in the chain I could identify and concluding that my primary and initial error was allowing myself to operate at such deep levels of fatigue.

He and the NTSB guy were quite pleased that not only were there no injuries (all that really matters) but that I was completely open and honest with them, was introspective as to the causes coming to what they agreed was the valid conclusion, and took full ownership of the mistake. "The good thing about guys like you is you're not going to make the same mistake again."

Naturally I'll have to do a 44709 ride, that is where the only hitch in the matter comes in as the FAA needs to close these and have the ride done in 30-60 days otherwise they have to issue a suspension. I told him I'd be back in Italy on Monday and not likely to return until October and asked if it was possible to do the ride this week, he said he would try, but due to Airventure, it was uncertain if it was possible. He called the next day and said it wasn't and gave me the option of avoiding a suspension on my record (and him all the paper work and trying to send me certified mail which is impossible) of voluntarily surrendering my certificate at the FSDO pending completion of the ride which I can take at any FSDO, so that's what I did since I don't use the certificate in Europe anyway.

So now it's in the hands of the insurance company, at $70k of coverage, a minimum of $30k in salvage, and $50kin repairs, I suspect they will total it.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Ouch, That really sucks Henning, Sorry for your loss in terms of damage to the 310 but happy that you are ok.

Do not cry for me lol, we climbed right out with no injuries, nothing else matters. There is no room for pride in aviation.

Oh no! From what I've seen yours looked like a beautiful plane. Was this at OSH or somewhere else?

Aw, geez ... Sorry to see this, Henning. Glad you (and the dog) are OK. :(

Glad to hear you're ok. Nice landing, but I think you coulda held the centerline better. :D

Oh no! From what I've seen yours looked like a beautiful plane. Was this at OSH or somewhere else?

Appleton, couldn't get into OSH due to the storm Tuesday evening. They just started funneling people to RIPON when it started and I don't think anyone got much past FISKE, when I got to RIPON I couldn't even see half way to FISKE and told him I was breaking left to go back to Green Lake and hold for a while which the controller agreed was a wise choice. He stated Fon Du Lac was reporting heavy winds but no rain and the other 2 guys on the radio headed down there, but then came back with reports that by the time they got there the storm had it covered as well. I was still in pretty smooth air over at Green Lake so I kept holding for a few more laps until the turbulence hit. When it got so severe that I had to right a 90° upset, I decided to bail out for Central Wisconsin airport where I could see the sun was shining. As I headed N I looked over to my right and could see the storm had moved off Appleton, so diverted there.

Holy Crap Henning, that really sucks, glad you and your "passenger" are ok. Metal can be fixed or replaced, life not so much. Stuff happens.

Why the need for a 709 ride?

Nothing sadder than seeing a plane on the ground with its legs still tucked away.

Glad to hear no injuries except to pride.

And thanks for sharing your story. Recognizing the chain and learning how to stop the sequence may help another pilot to not do the same thing.

Do not cry for me lol, we climbed right out with no injuries, nothing else matters. There is no room for pride in aviation.

Wise words. Sorry it happened but I appreciate you telling us what happened and why.

Why the need for a 709 ride?

Nothing sadder than seeing a plane on the ground with its legs still tucked away.

Glad to hear no injuries except to pride.

And thanks for sharing your story. Recognizing the chain and learning how to stop the sequence may help another pilot to not do the same thing.

Standard for a gear up that was not mechanically induced.

As I said last night, sorry but glad you and the pup walked away ok.

So now it's in the hands of the insurance company, at $70k of coverage, a minimum of $30k in salvage, and $50kin repairs, I suspect they will total it.
View attachment 35126

Wow.....

I hope it won't be totaled... The world needs all the nice 310's like that we can keep around. Yours has always been on my radar if I ever needed a light twin.

I can't imagine what you must have been thinking when you settled in on the flare lower than normal and realized what as going to happen seconds later.

Empathy for your loss. Dinner/drinks on my tab next time you're in DFW area.

I'm really sorry sir. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Thanks for coming here and sharing the story.

If it can happen to you, it can happen to anyone.

Sorry to hear, glad there were no injuries. I'm away from home for a bit but if you need any local WI help with your plane or details, just ask. I'm a bit South but move around some.

Wow.....

I hope it won't be totaled... The world needs all the nice 310's like that we can keep around. Yours has always been on my radar if I ever needed a light twin.

I can't imagine what you must have been thinking when you settled in on the flare lower than normal and realized what as going to happen seconds later.

Empathy for your loss. Dinner/drinks on my tab next time you're in DFW area.

If it totals, I'll give you the insurance contact if you want the salvage. The only airframe damage is the jacking tits got ground down about half way, flaps got a bit ground and bent, and 2 skins got scraped on the belly in a couple places that didn't even go through the rivets. Obviously props and engine tear downs where if they don't total it, I'll probably toss in the extra and have them called overhauled. It was a perfect and smooth landing, just without wheels lol.

Well, sincere commiseration on this event. It sure could happen to anyone, sad to see it happen to a good pilot. Hope the plane is saved, she looks good in the pic except for the obvious, but ya never know. Also glad you are ok. Metal can be unbent, people not so much. Best of luck with ins and your ride, I doubt you'll have a problem, they've seen this before.

Honest mistake, &h1t happens.

OK, I'm done.

If it can happen to Henning I'm doomed to end up in a smoking hole at some point.

OK, I'm done.

If it can happen to Henning I'm doomed to end up in a smoking hole at some point.

No smoking hole, the flight went perfect, the landing was smooth and controlled. As soon as I heard the prop tips hit the thought to hit the throttles occurred but was immediately dismissed with the counter thought of "Nope, the only time people get hurt in a gear up is when they do something stupid to try and save equipment." I just held her attitude and let her settle in smooth as silk.

Even when things are going wrong, think about what you are doing and you will be fine.

Ugh, tough one, sorry about that. Will buy you a beer sometime in Ft. Lauderdale.

Dang brother, that plain sucks. I much enjoy your contributions to this board and it is humbling to me to realize that this can happen to anyone of us regardless of experience when the wrong combination of human factors are compounded on top of each other. I truly appreciate your thread in the interest of reminding us to keep a conservative approach to our recreational flying when it comes to human factors. At least that's the takeaway I get from your case study.

I'm embarrassed to ask since I should know this as an aircraft owner who has insurance of his airplane, but what elements of a prop strike lead to the insurance covering the repairs on engine components to the tune of a total writeoff?

My understanding of the aircraft insurance game is that the engine is yours when it explodes, it is only breaking the airframe that gets you covered. Do prop strikes really get you a new engine? How does the cost get pro-rated if you had high time engines for instance? How do they determine what parts they will cover and what parts they'll argue weren't part of the incident?

Very sorry to hear.

We all need to learn from each other and understand no one is invincible, no one.

I was looking forward to meeting you, maybe next year.

Again, thanks for sharing Henning, sincerely glad you are okay.

Stay safe!

Last edited:
That sucks Henning. You know what they say, though: There are those that have landed gear up, and those that will. Sad about the plane, but good you got it out of the system and are unhurt. Now that leaves the rest of us to do the same at some point..

I've only forgotten once when I was very overloaded on an instruction flight in my old plane. The tower reminded me on final, which saved my bacon. In the Aerostar, it's almost impossible to slow down to pattern speed without getting them out (it's like a necessary speed brake) which helps to not forget them. Still, I'm sure it will happen one day.

Hope you can repair or get a new plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back