How to get killed an emergency

Here is what "Ilan" says:

"First, my back was broken by the impact of crashing into the water."

"When all the test results were in, the ER doctor came in and told me that my back was broken, and that the orthopedist would be there shortly to explain further."

Guess he thought it was bigger deal.

http://www.avweb.com/news/features/190126-1.html

Yes, I know but I also know what Ilan said after everything settled down and that he was later able to go skiing (or was it snowboarding). His more serious issue was the golf ball sized brain tumor. It was cut out and Ilan eventually got his medical back but unfortunately the tumor came back.

Some folks have different considerations about money than I, or, I imagine, you. The $50/hour is prolly worth it to them to know that they are taking that extra step.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

$50 an hour is what we charge to use the airplane! Double the cost for a parachute of questionable value. What a good idea. If you really want peace of mind, one the ground you should stay. Other than that you takes your chances.

Yes, I know but I also know what Ilan said after everything settled down and that he was later able to go skiing (or was it snowboarding). His more serious issue was the golf ball sized brain tumor. It was cut out and Ilan eventually got his medical back but unfortunately the tumor came back.

Did he survive the second tumor?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

$50 an hour is what we charge to use the airplane! Double the cost for a parachute of questionable value. What a good idea. If you really want peace of mind, one the ground you should stay. Other than that you takes your chances.

Cost/benefit analysis. It a pilot's personal decision as to the value of the benefit and no-one can argue with his personal decision (except his wife, of course). The cost is relative to disposible income. So I have no problem with a pilot that can afford a BRS and has one.

edit: just as I have no problem with a pilot that can afford a P-51 and has one. :yesnod: Just that one pilot I would like to be very good friends with and the other, sure, why not.

Last edited:
Statistics say no such thing.

Don't have the stats and too lazy to look up, but I swear I read that the SR22 has one of the worst fatal accidents per hrs flown records, while diamond has one of the best.

Don't have the stats and too lazy to look up, but I swear I read that the SR22 has one of the worst fatal accidents per hrs flown records, while diamond has one of the best.

Diamond has an exceptionally good record. Cirrus is there with Mooney and Bonanza. GA statistics can be misleading. If you remove professionally flown GA (jets, etc.) then Cirrus is about average. The C172 is better but then the first 50 hours a pilot flies are the safest of his career (see The Killing Zone) and a lot of truing is done in the 172 i.e. different mission. Something I keep pointing out is Flightaware data. Take a look over several days and you will see why you hear so many Cirrus aircraft when flying in the system. There are a lot of them on IFR flight plans.

I had to delete that asshat from my FB account. I can't freaking stand his posts. Every time I see him post in the third person I want to punch him. MossY flew a Cirrus today... Who gives a crap!

Wait, I post when I fly. But not in the third person. You are on my FB yes?

Yes however you dont post it in this format: "Follow MossY today as he flies a <insert plane here> with <insert name here> and do <insert task here> and <insert secondary task here> and then heads back to <insert airport name here>"

The BRS has to be repacked every what, 10 years? Costs about $15K? Thus it's $1.5K/year worth of unobtrusive. That is my aircraft's annual. That's 30 hours of flying. That is something less than unobtrusive. And for questionable safety value.

No sir, the safety value is unquestionable, whether you feel that option is worth your money is up to you. If what you value most is money that's going to have to be a consideration. Think of it this way, $1,500 a year is the premium I pay for 100hrs of having an extra engine. You buy a similar level of survival options.

Last edited:
Yes however you dont post it in this format: "Follow MossY today as he flies a <insert plane here> with <insert name here> and do <insert task here> and <insert secondary task here> and then heads back to <insert airport name here>"

No I meant inverted. I know you are on my FB silly.

No I meant inverted. I know you are on my FB silly.

I know you were talking about Inverted, but I also know MossYs typical status' and share his frustration. Your flying posts are entertaining and interesting, MossYs are obnoxious.

I'm pretty sure he did the voice for this video too.

I know you were talking about Inverted, but I also know MossYs typical status' and share his frustration. Your flying posts are entertaining and interesting, MossYs are obnoxious.

Wow, thank you. I looked and I hadn't posted since March so I added some wx photos from the XC to explain why I chose to go under the clouds rather than over.

Oh and honey badgers kick a$$

I KNEW it couldn't just me who thought that!! :rofl:

Not quite as swishy as the "Honey Badger" narrator (known only as "Randall"), but equally obnoxious.
I would love to have Randall overdub a MossY video... that would be fantastic.
"Oh my God, the propeller just... stopped, how crazy is that? " :D

Steingar posts in the third person on occasion. Steingar understands why Joe Biden refers to himself in the third person. Steingar thinks it's actually a bit of fun. Unlike Joe Biden, Steingar has the good sense not to do it all the time.

No sir, the safety value is unquestionable, whether you feel that option is worth your money is up to you. If what you value most is money that's going to have to be a consideration. Think of it this way, $1,500 a year is the premium I pay for 100hrs of having an extra engine. You buy a similar level of survival options.

If the safety value were unquestionable, no BRS-equipped aircraft would have ever killed it's pilot or passengers. Since folks have died in such aircraft, I question the parachute's utility.

I KNEW it couldn't just me who thought that!! :rofl:

Not quite as swishy as the "Honey Badger" narrator (known only as "Randall"), but equally obnoxious.
I would love to have Randall overdub a MossY video... that would be fantastic.
"Oh my God, the propeller just... stopped, how crazy is that? " :D

That's the funniest thing I've read here to date!!

Back