How to fly with 60lb golden retriever?

Skid

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Skid
So the pup in my pic is starting to get pretty big and he has yet to go on his first flight yet. We are planning to make a short cross country this weekend and bring him along to see how he does.

He does pretty well in a car, but still yearns for attention. We have a collapsible crate that we were going to set up in the back but it might be too wide (36"). On top of that we have some hearing protection that is kind of like a scarf to go around his ears. Any suggestions that might help out?

Last edited:
My 60# golden knows the route to the airport. She's always excited when she recognizes where we're going. There's no way to keep her out of the plane once the door opens. 10 years and she still loves it. If you can't trust the dog will stay in back? Tie a leash to limit range. Mine hasn't been leashed for years. No need.

My 60# golden knows the route to the airport. She's always excited when she recognizes where we're going. There's no way to keep her out of the plane once the door opens. 10 years and she still loves it. If you can't trust the dog will stay in back? Tie a leash to limit range. Mine hasn't been leashed for years. No need.

That's great to hear. Good call about the leash, I think I'm more concerned about him panicking and starting to eat the seat belts or digging at the seats.

I put beach towels on the back seat. Keeps the seat cleaner. Instead of a leash and collar, I use a harness attached to a backseat seatbelt. Get everything set up then taxi around and see how the dog likes it before flying. If you're worried about eating belts, that's very unusual. Head over to a pet store and get a bottle of Bitter Apple and spray the seat belts. But with two of you in the airplane, one flies while the other reassures the pup. Might even sit in the back with the dog for more reassurance.

My dog hates riding in the car (and it's not a vet thing because she has no problem with the vet for some reason) but she is perfectly happy in the plane. Mine is a bit smaller (40lb english bulldog) but we just put her in a little dog bed on the back seat and she just goes to sleep very happily.

Cover the back seat, toss him in, harness to seat belt. Done

Both my dogs (60+ lbs each) fly unrestrained in the back seat and do fine.

My dog luvs luvs luvs riding in the car but is not a huge fan of the plane....he does not like the loud noise...even though his name is PAX!

When he does fly he is totally unrestrained and is 75lbs with no issues, but he is also trained in the car that he can not be on me or bug me. He will come sit up in the front seat and look out just like the truck.

Generally they will behave the same as in a car and if there are freak out issues it will be once you fire the engine, not once en route.

B1EE7B5C-1298-4556-B87E-28FC3D2DF85C.JPG Every dog aviates differently - my two Labs do great, even tho one is still an ADHD 2yr old. Recommend better hearing protection - from 4Paws Aviation

Here is a 60# German Shorthaired Pointer in the back seat of an Archer II

IMG_0514.JPG

...and the 25# corgi in the baggage area with all our baggage stuffed on top of her crate(oh the dog isn't in yet but you get the idea)

IMG_0513.JPG

So loading procedure for above is as follows:
soft crate is collapsed, brought into the aircraft, and put back together. Baggage is packed around that crate and in the back seat footwells. Then the big dog crate is carefully slid into the back seat at an angle (only way to fit it). A helper stands behind the wing holding the big dog while I stand on the wing walk, dog is released and he jumps onto the wing walk, I guide him into the open crate door, he lays down, I push crate back into the seat. Small dog is placed in soft crate through baggage door and zipped up.

At this point we are completely out of usable volume inside the cabin but still generally 100-200# below gross. I kind of want to upgrade if for nothing other than more cabin room but we're making this work so far...

I can't wait to get my pup to fly. I'm first waiting to get my own plane, however. She's trained not to bother the driver while in the car, but sometimes she tends to back her hind legs/rump onto the driver and lean her hip against me... She thinks she getting away with still being on my lap but since she's backing up it doesn't count! However, if I need her to move I can easy just nudge and she moves.

We recently got a leash that connects to the seat belt and clips to her harness to keep her secure and safe and I would probably try that the first time we fly as well. I'll also recommend having a dog person in the copilot seat to completely manage the dog the first time. See how they do and then base your restraining/securing decision off of that. After a few flights I would assume the dog and pilot will get to a certain comfort level so that somebody can fly the plane properly and somebody can enjoy the ride!

The only time I've tied my dog in was in my PA-12 and that was to prevent her jumping out the door before I got out. She loved that plane for the good view out the full plexi doors. In the Cessna she sits with her chin resting on the window sill in back but can't see down. She's going to enjoy the new Cub. Yes, when on my seats I use a blanket, because she can find puddles to jump in on a dry day.

IMG_0012.JPG

The only time I've tied my dog in was in my PA-12 and that was to prevent her jumping out the door before I got out. She loved that plane for the good view out the full plexi doors. In the Cessna she sits with her chin resting on the window sill in back but can't see down. She's going to enjoy the new Cub. Yes, when on my seats I use a blanket, because she can find puddles to jump in on a dry day.

Great lookin dog! Are those mutt muffs or the 4paws aviation headset? First time hearing of the 4paws ones and they look a little more substantial

IMG_0104.JPG She's worn Mutt Muffs since she was a pup. 9 years on the set in the picture and still going strong.

Labs and goldens are easy - get 'em mutt muffs - and amazingly, they'll just sit there with them on.

My Lab would settle down and fall asleep above 7000' - they don't tolerate altitude all that well if they don't live up high.

But was very curious to look out the window in all phases of flight except cruise. We took a seat out and put down thick cardboard, then a blanket and then used a short leash with a harness connected to the seat belt from the chair we removed. Very comfy for the dog and restrains them very well.

Above all else- make sure the animal is restrained.

My lab mix prefers the left seat, but only on the ground!

The sheepadoodle was 6 weeks old and this was her first flight, she's a little bigger now!

She's spoiled too!

I have always flown with our dogs and have never had a problem with any of them. Our Golden loved to fly, she would go anywhere as long as me and mom were taking her.

I've also heard it asked/debated but it seems to be a matter of preference: do the pups need ear pro?

Many people say that they've flown their dogs for years and years and never noticed any degradation in hearing. I, like most dog owners, would never want to intentionally do something that could degrade their quality of life at any point, but if their hearing will be fine without the muffs then I also don't want to bother with them. It seems about 50-50 whether a dog is using ear protection in pics that I see. Thoughts? Actual experience? Thanks!

If you decide on hearing protection, for which I advocate - consider the product from 4Paws Aviation, dB reduction tests better than MuttMuffs.

http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/k9decibels.pdf

Initial testing was performed on a 54 year old male test subject. A baseline hearing test was obtained in sound- eld under calibrated and controlled conditions in a sound treated room using pulsed warble tones for 8 fre- quencies (250Hz - 8000Hz) in an open-ear condition with sound sources placed at 90 and 180 degrees azimuth. Subsequent testing was performed under the same conditions but covering the open ears with the Mutt Mu © product and then the 4 Paws Aviation product. reshold detection levels at the eight test frequencies were av- eraged together to compare the amount of sound reduction in decibels (dBHL). Raw data shows an average of 26.875dBHL for the Mutt Mu © product and an average of 41.875dBHL for the 4 Paws Aviation product. e higher the number of dBHL, the greater the amount of sound reduction and subsequent better hearing protec- tion. Conclusion: e 4 Paws Aviation product shows a signi cantly higher amount of average sound reduction compared to the Mutt Mu © product.

Last edited:
Actual experience? My last dog was deaf for his last couple of years. New dog is 10 and can hear a mosquito fart. Dog #1 used no hearing protection. His owner didn't know any better. Dog #2 has never flown without Mutt Muffs. Her owner learned from his mistakes. I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

That's good enough for me. I don't want to take a chance, thank you!

I put beach towels on the back seat. Keeps the seat cleaner. Instead of a leash and collar, I use a harness attached to a backseat seatbelt. Get everything set up then taxi around and see how the dog likes it before flying. If you're worried about eating belts, that's very unusual. Head over to a pet store and get a bottle of Bitter Apple and spray the seat belts. But with two of you in the airplane, one flies while the other reassures the pup. Might even sit in the back with the dog for more reassurance.

+1 on the harness and seatbelt.
Just delivered a 70 lb 5 yr old male golden retriever to his owner on the west coast yesterday. First time the dog has ever flown. First time I have ever flown with a dog in the plane. Put his bed across the middle row seats of the Aztec. Used a harness attached to one of the rear row seat belts. The dog could move laterally with relative ease but not forward very much.

Couldn't believe his temperament. No problem loading him, never barked once, slept most of the way, except take off and landing, when he was watching out the side window. If all dogs travelled that well I migh think about doing it again.

I only flew with a dog once, a 110Lb German shepherd. Unfortunately, it ended with my father and I cleaning
Substantial amounts of dog vomit out of the back seat of an archer. On my dad's birthday...
Not trying to discourage you, i would totally fly with our newest dog if I got the chance to, I think she could handle it. That dog, couldn't, it turned out.

I only flew with a dog once, a 110Lb German shepherd. Unfortunately, it ended with my father and I cleaning
Substantial amounts of dog vomit out of the back seat of an archer. On my dad's birthday...
Not trying to discourage you, i would totally fly with our newest dog if I got the chance to, I think she could handle it. That dog, couldn't, it turned out.
#1 rule that Pilots n Paws and other rescues tell the transport people is DO NOT FEED the dog 6 hours before the flight. Perhaps a cookie and a small amount of water, at most.

Autumn has flown in the third row of the PA32 and did fine. I've also had r in the RV6A to go the fuel pit and back to the hangar, but haven't had her up in it yet. She's only 12# so she can easily ride in her Sherpa bag in the baggage area when it's not too hot.

I always heard that if the dog does well in the car, then they tend to do well in the plane. I have one lab that the car triggers her bladder immediately once we are at a point where its not good to stop. But she is a jerk anyways. The other lab I have would probably let his bladder explode before having an accident and just sits in the car/plane.

#1 rule that Pilots n Paws and other rescues tell the transport people is DO NOT FEED the dog 6 hours before the flight. Perhaps a cookie and a small amount of water, at most.
Ours are usually fairly short trips 1.5 or less, but the picture off my golden between the front seats was the day we had a weather delay at FTY and the nice lines guys kept giving her water, she never had an accident in a car or airplane. It took us a little while to figure out why she was acting funny, she almost jumped out of the plane and ran to the grass when we got to Destin.

Labs and goldens are easy - get 'em mutt muffs - and amazingly, they'll just sit there with them on.

My cocker spaniel is a great traveling dog (15 year old now), but does not tolerate the muffs whatsoever. She has been on a few flights to the in-laws which is a 55 minute flight vs. 3 hr 15 min card ride.

I've also heard it asked/debated but it seems to be a matter of preference: do the pups need ear pro?

Many people say that they've flown their dogs for years and years and never noticed any degradation in hearing.

My dog (15 y/o cocker spaniel) wouldn't tolerate the muffs. She lost hearing last year, but vet also said cockers live to about 14 years. She'll be 16 in December and still acts like a puppy (can't hear well and can't see very far, but runs fast). I don't think flying is going to hurt them, unless it was a ramp dog flying everyday.

Ours are usually fairly short trips 1.5 or less, but the picture off my golden between the front seats was the day we had a weather delay at FTY and the nice lines guys kept giving her water, she never had an accident in a car or airplane. It took us a little while to figure out why she was acting funny, she almost jumped out of the plane and ran to the grass when we got to Destin.
Good dog!

I love planes, I love dogs, keep those pictures coming please! :)

Thanks for all the advice. He did great today!

33jn1hg.jpg

16glhlt.jpg

Glad he enjoyed the Discovery Flight. He leave a tip?

Cover the back seat, toss him in, harness to seat belt. Done

Both my dogs (60+ lbs each) fly unrestrained in the back seat and do fine.

That is because your dogs, and everyone in the club, is afraid of you.

:)

Back