How to boost your currency/proficiency practice?

flyingpreacher

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
flyingpreacher
I don't just want to be a current pilot, I want to be ready for when "that day" comes in my aviation career that puts everything I know to the test. So with that in mind, what are some additional things that you and I can practice on a semi-routine basis to help boost the odds of a good outcome.

Here's an example of what I'm thinking of, so this can be #1.

When doing night currency, try one or more landings without your landing light to simulate what it will be like if you have an electrical failure. You'll find that the ground isn't quite where you think it is, but those REILs can sure be a HUGE help!

Find good instructor to fly with once or twice a year.
When doing night currency, try one or more landings without your landing light to simulate what it will be like if you have an electrical failure. You'll find that the ground isn't quite where you think it is, but those REILs can sure be a HUGE help!
don’t forget to turn off the instrument lights if you’re simulating an electrical failure. :eek:

I have recently learned about AQP for General Aviation

Instead of practicing maneuvers listed in the ACS practice maneuvers/scenarios that account for aircraft accidents. It's how the airlines train, as I understand it.

I’ll jump in with another one. Practice simulated engine failures to the ground and simulated engine failure on takeoff (providing your runway is long enough)

Choose increasingly more challenging places to land. Smaller, shorter, unimproved, etc.

Get a wider range of environmental factors, less favorable weather, higher DA, intentionally landing crosswind, etc.

I have recently learned about AQP for General Aviation

Instead of practicing maneuvers listed in the ACS practice maneuvers/scenarios that account for aircraft accidents. It's how the airlines train, as I understand it.
Not sure I’d throw a Gryder card into the game. ;)

1. Adopt a pre take off briefing that includes engine failure. With a CFI at airport with adequate runway length practice engine failure during takeoff.
2. Practice an engine failure at altitude and power off 180 from the pattern.
3. If instrument rated, complete an IPC annually including partial panel.
4. Practice and maintain crosswind landing skills.
5. Practice short field approach and landing over obstacle- slips to landing w/wo flaps.
6. Memorize check list for fires (electrical, engine start, and engine fire in flight)
7. Review and know your aircrafts systems.
8. Review and know loss of communications procedures including light gun signals.
9. Review your options for obtaining FSS inflight weather using a VOR station and ADSB FIS—B.
10. DEVELOP YOUR SUPERIOR AERONAUTICAL KNOWLEDGE / DECISION MAKING SO YOU DON’T HAVE TO USE YOUR SUPERIOR AERONAUTICAL SKILLS

WRT AQP… it ain’t all that. Airlines use it so no one fails. It’s “train to proficiency”, and that can be talking about the deficiency. The scenario thing only means “well, we can’t quite simulate [this or that] so just pretend…”. Honestly it’s a joke. Nothing but bean counter stuff.

Repetition of emergency procedures until they are second nature is better. If you screw it up, don’t say “good enough”, just keep practicing until you’re good at it.

Meh, depends how well lit the Airport is. Landing without a landing light at night is a serious nothing burger.

And monthly with a CFI to do basic drills and see where the most rust is
Even better yet is flying with your CFII friend in his arrow like we did this past weekend. I got 3 landings in Saturday morning with him in the right seat. And then Sat night we flew a 2 hour XC into West Virginia landed right at dark at KEKN. Then I got 1.5 hrs of instrument flying in as it was pitch dark out that way on the way back. He is a check airmen at work and I am lucky to be able to fly with him.
I have also have been lucky enough to fly at least a little everyday for 39 days in a row so far mostly in my 172. I try to do something different every night. Beside staying proficient I love it. My previous record was 23 days in a row.
IMG_3241.JPG

Last edited:
Memorize the bold face and run through the "touches" called out in the procedures. I pretty much make most landings short field ones, for "that day". Maybe a no flap, occasionally. . .most of our 4-place SEL airplanes are pretty simple - the flying the airplane part isn't a challenge.

The buttonolgy on the GPS boxes is almost universally pretty klunky, and the less frequently used features can be obscure - most have simulators you can download. I'm mucking about today with the "hold assist" on a Garmin box - I've never used the feature. One thing I've never done - try a landing with power and trim only, no elevator input - not a very likely flight control failure scenario, I guess. Bet I'd be grabbing the yoke on the first few attempts.

Good tips here, I'll use some of them myself. :thumbsup:

I'll add two more:

1. Learn commercial maneuvers like chandelles, lazy eights, and 60* steep turns. They will hone your stick & rudder skills & energy management.

2. If you don't already have a tailwheel endorsement, get it. Not just a pencil-whipped one, but really earn it. It will improve your precision & control with takeoffs & landings in any airplane, whether or not it has a tailwheel.

For IR, I do two approaches and a hold each month. Yep - I’m doing 6 in 3. For me, 1) it really helps make it easier and I can tell I’m getting better at it, and 2) I do enjoy IR flying.

MR CO 1 - good post. I’m learning the commercial maneuvers and it is helping to sharpen the basic stick and rudder skills.

Good tips here, I'll use some of them myself. :thumbsup:

I'll add two more:

1. Learn commercial maneuvers like chandelles, lazy eights, and 60* steep turns. They will hone your stick & rudder skills & energy management.

2. If you don't already have a tailwheel endorsement, get it. Not just a pencil-whipped one, but really earn it. It will improve your precision & control with takeoffs & landings in any airplane, whether or not it has a tailwheel.
commercial hopefully in the next couple months and trying to knock out CFI and CFI-I after that. Target is tailwheel in the spring.

In addition to the many suggestions, I would add go-arounds. That's a source of some accidents that might have been avoided if the pilot had practiced now and then.

We need to teach and practice power-on stalls with flaps and gear down, but at altitude.

Back