How tight is too tight?

FredFenster

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Greg L
For you guys used to putting large units in small boxes.. How tight is too tight? Hangar door opening of 38' 6", looking at a Lake Amphib with a listed wingspan of 38'. Is that just asking for hangar rash?

For what it's worth, the CFI I had been using for BFRs has the same issue with his 172. His solution is to use a set of metal channels lagged in to the floor to guide the mains.

Meh...I've seen a King Air with a 6" total clearance in a corporate hangar...all depends on how careful you are vs how complacent you can get.

Ideal?...no.
Possible if your only option?...probably.

That is a case where a good quality power or even remote tug will be cheaper than the impending hangar rash if you are trying to muscle it in.

For what it's worth, the CFI I had been using for BFRs has the same issue with his 172. His solution is to use a set of metal channels lagged in to the floor to guide the mains.
that's a fantastic idea.. kind of like how they do it at the car wash

When I was dry leasing the Cirrus the hangar clearance was about 6 inches on either side.. the most stressful part of any flight was managing the hangar exit and entry. Having channels, or in my case stripes, on the floor was very helpful

Channels on the floor are a good idea! I thought about painting lines but that's even better.

definitely painted lines to follow....and/or guard rails of some kind for the wheels. That's rash waiting to happen.....

You can make it work, but it's going to become a huge disincentive to go flying. The stress and hassle of getting it in and out will make those spur-of-the-moment flights not fun.

I've seen this done successfully for tight fit airplanes before.

I would try to find a bigger hangar, but if that's truly all that's available, it can be done. The MU-2 was pretty tight in the last hangar and had to go in at a specific angle. However I had more than 3" on either side...

At one time we had the Cardinal in a port-a-port T hangar with about 12" Clearance off each wingtip and less than that front and back. My solution was a mark on the back of the hangar to line the tail up with, painted lines on the deck to follow, and blocks to stop me from pushing it in too far.

That was workable for us but 3" is tighter than I would be comfortable with, especially if I was moving it by myself.

Oh man, and I was so ready to recommend a torque wrench.

Yeah, I was going to say if it's turning blue, take it off.

Love the channel idea. Getting it into the channel is another trick.

How much wider is the inside of the hangar than the door opening? Used to put a 50' wingspan into a 35' door. Had to nose it in, then spin the tail around while jockeying with forward/back to keep the nose out of the opposite wall until the tail was all the way back in the corner.

It's the extra couple inches that makes all the difference.

me, passing up thread title after thread title, stumbling on this one....

tenor.gif

How much wider is the inside of the hangar than the door opening? Used to put a 50' wingspan into a 35' door. Had to nose it in, then spin the tail around while jockeying with forward/back to keep the nose out of the opposite wall until the tail was all the way back in the corner.

Not much. Hangar is 40x40. Really don't want to try and get a different hangar either, I like mine!

Put it in sideways https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...ty-vehicle-positioning-wheel-dolly-61917.html

I would think that channel on the ground will work only if you can extend it beyond the hangar door since the mains are about halfway under the wing.

Hmmm.... Might work until the county snowplow takes it out in December! I've got wheel dollies (not as fancy as those jacks) for a car, its a pain in the butt trying to roll it very far on the tiny casters.

a spotter works wonders i n keeping hangar rash from happening

A DA-40 has a 39’ 1” wingspan. I knew an owner who bolted 2x4s to the hangar floor to act like channels.

But as was mentioned, they don’t extend beyond the hangar door, which would really help when backing into the hangar.

Cameras fixed to the hangar at each side, displayed on phone or tablet. Paint on floor, whatever if necessary. Cameras could be above/below.

I am in a shared hangar and have that problem. When I moved in there was a small experimental parked opposite me and it was not problem. Owner died and widow sold it. Next subtenant is a 172XP. I have about 3” between my wingtip and the 172’s cowl when existing or entering the hangar and the same between my other wingtip and the hangar door frame. When the 172 pulls out, he has about 3” above my canopy (1991 AG5B Tiger) from the underside of his wing. We both have tape on the floor that marks the final parking spot, and I have “approach tape” that starts at the leading edge of the door to guide me in. To move in or out by myself takes anywhere from 5-10 minutes, depending on how many times I stop to check the clearance. We’re going on our second year now and so far, so good. It is less than ideal but given it’s a heated hangar at less than $250 a month, I am making it work.

Doesn't it depend upon how bad you need a hangar?

A DA-40 has a 39’ 1” wingspan. I knew an owner who bolted 2x4s to the hangar floor to act like channels.

But as was mentioned, they don’t extend beyond the hangar door, which would really help when backing into the hangar.

Try that and make a slide out 2x4 on top of the bolted ones to extend beyond the door during use. Then slide them back in to close door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If the apron to that hangar door is flat, you can make it work. If there's some slope it's harder to be be accurate.

<-- ask him how he knows :)

You can make it work, but it's going to become a huge disincentive to go flying. The stress and hassle of getting it in and out will make those spur-of-the-moment flights not fun.
This. A lot this. I'm in a large "group" hangar and typically have to move at least one, and sometimes up to three, other planes to get mine out. The work, plus the stress of moving someone else's plane, is a pretty major damper on enthusiasm for flight. As hangars go, it's very inexpensive and I'm a beer budget owner, but have been seriously considering springing for a private hangar.

Howdy. Regarding the rails, I have seen and used them in hardened shelters for military fighters at a few bases. It certainly helps when clearance is tight. But if the rails have any height at all you will need to be careful about damaging sidewalls/wheels/wheel pants, etc. I like the idea of wood 2x4s.

I kept a 39’ wingspan DA40 in a 41’6” hangar for about three years and still can’t believe the wingtip light assemblies survived. Even having 1 foot to spare on either side can be challenging if you are by yourself.

Back