How stupid is this?

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by Salty, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Salty

Salty Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty
    You fly your R44 as close to the pump as you can. Leave the engine running, Swipe your card, climb up on the side and fuel it up with nobody inside and the rotor spinning merrily around (not slowing down). This seems incredibly irresponsible to me. I wish I’d have taken a pic, but I didn’t.

Over reaction?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  2. ETres

ETres Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    ETres
    I won't refuel a running lawnmower, so I sure wouldn't with a chopper. :eek2:

3. PaulS

PaulS Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    PaulS
    Battery was probably dead.

4. Fearless Tower

Fearless Tower Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fearless Tower
    R44 burns Avgas, right?

Wouldn’t be my first choice.

Probably some dude who thinks because the military hot pumps it’s therefore ok for him to do it.

Velocity173 likes this.
  5. Salty

Salty Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty
    Yes

6. flyer770

flyer770 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Flyer770
    Yeah that's pretty stupid. We hot pump all the time, but the pilots stay at the controls and the ground crew is trained for it. That's a helluva big difference from what you're describing for that R44.

Rein Hart and denverpilot like this.
  7. Hang 4

Hang 4 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Hang 4
    I would think grounding (electrical) would matter a lot with the blades spinning. Seems stupid to me, but I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express in a really long time.

Rein Hart and Bobanna like this.
  8. Fearless Tower

Fearless Tower Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fearless Tower
    When we hot pump Navy helos, we fill with JP-5 using a pressure nozzle (no open vapors) and there is always at least one pilot at the controls.

I can’t imagine pumping AVGAS into a running helicopter with a typical self-serve pump nozzle. Not my idea of a good time.

wilkersk likes this.
  9. Omalley1537

Omalley1537 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Sean
    Sounds like a Darwin Award candidate that unfortunately could hurt others as well. What a moron.

Stan Cooper likes this.
  10. Bell206

Bell206 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bell206
    FYI: this has been a topic of intense discussion in the helicopter world for decades... which I tend to stay out of. But a pilot performing an unassisted hot refuel in a avgas Robbie, at an airport no less, pushes that debate toward the stupid end....

Fearless Tower likes this.
  11. Velocity173

Velocity173 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Velocity173
    Yeah I wouldn’t do that with my personal helicopter, or airplane for that matter. But his aircraft and as long as nothing in the RFM or local ordinance prohibiting it, oh well.

I suppose rapid or “hot” refuel is done more on helos. Probably done it a thousand times but with proper procedures / safe guards in place. Good example of rapid refuel using gravity feed below. As stated above, military is generally pressure or closed circuit. Gravity would take waaay too long.

12. blueskyMD

blueskyMD Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bigfoot297
    Hot refueling is done all the time. I saw the Stat MedVac helicopters at my airport refueling with blades turning all the time with only one guy . Friction on on both collective and cyclic controls and other precautions. May be more appropriate in turbines because start cycles are hard on turbines ? Don't know about Piston engines. 100 LL is sure more flammable than Jet A
    But its an approved procedure

13. Bell206

Bell206 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bell206
    Curious. Do you have that approved reference handy?

14. Salty

Salty Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty
    I doubt it’s “approved” for a single person to perform with no ground crew. Might not be illegal, but I seriously doubt it’s “approved”.

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avi...afety/safo/all_safos/media/2010/SAFO10020.pdf

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  15. blueskyMD

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bigfoot297
    Well I didn't mean FAR or something like that but the helicopter websites are full of people stating they do it all the time and its part of their company procedures. Are you a Bell guy ?Then you probably know more than me about this stuff.

16. Bell206

Bell206 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bell206
    Well when you use the word "approved" that is the normal implication. As I mentioned above, a pilot exiting his helicopter while it continues to run is hotly debated every year. Are there actual approved procedures, sure, but mostly for a 135 or 133 or 137 ops. You'll also find some other countries allow it via a regulatory exemption. However, for your simple 91 ops under the FAA you find more guidance against it than for it. Even Robinson has a few docs out there against exiting the aircraft while running.

17. blueskyMD

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bigfoot297
  18. Salty

Salty Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty
    Bell206 likes this.
  19. Bell206

Bell206 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bell206
    FYI: FAA approval is very specific and defined. As mentioned above an FAA SAFO is not an approved document. Examples of FAA approval documents would be the FARs, ADs (which are amendments to Part39), TCDSs, AWCs, Orders, etc. Just because the FAA puts out a document doesn't mean the info is considered approved and can just be advisory in nature.

20. A Martin

A Martin Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    A Martin
    Helicopter crop sprayers reload their chemical tanks and hot-fuel all day long and we do not hear of any major issues .

Plenty of crackups and dangers in that industry but not related to fueling.

If I was in a remote location and had a marginal battery I would not hesitate hand pumping fuel from a barrel with the engine at idle.

I have a greater fear of dogs .... had a car-chasing type farm dog run at my tail rotor when I landed .... he took a playful nip at the spinning rotor and it killed him .... farmer was pretty good about it until he saw the damaged blade ($3800) and volunteered he had liability insurance to cover it

21. Zeldman

Zeldman Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy
    I remember as a kid watching crop dusters refuel with the engine running. Old bi-wings with radial engines and no other help to refuel.

I always thought it was funny that they refueled on their own, but had help refilling the hopper.

22. Salty

Salty Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty
    Plane isn’t nearly as bad as hanging on the side of a running heli

23. Arnold

Arnold Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Arnold
    The are hard to hand prop.:cool:

A Martin and Shepherd like this.
  24. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doc
    There’s a pipeline patroller that hot fuels an R44 at our airport quite frequently. I don’t remember the details about why, but I think it’s something like an hour that it must set after shutdown befor restart. He doesn’t, however, do it at the self serve pump although there’s probably not much difference. I’ve never paid attention to whether or not th is a pilot inside.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  25. Bell206

Bell206 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bell206
    FYI: No. If that was required it would put a lot of people out of the Robbie helicopter business.

26. Zeldman

Zeldman Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy
    Maybe the Robbie guys squirt water on the engine after shut down....:cool:

lowtimer and Omalley1537 like this.
  27. weilke

weilke Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    weilke
    Watched a one man spray operation in MN about 10 years back. He had a flatbed truck with a gas-tank and a big white poly chemical tank at the airport. Had a system down ro hot-load both at the same time. The S2 just idled while he filled the hopper and/or added fuel. Last thing before getting back in he would stage a chock in the correct position for the next round. A few gallons of Avgas was probably cheaper than paying ground crew.

Zeldman likes this.
  28. smv

smv Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    smv
    My guess is that it is because it takes a heck of a lot longer to shut down an R44 than it does to shut down almost any fixed-wing. You have to wait for CHT to drop, then you have to wait for the rotor to slow down, then you can apply the rotor brake to bring it to a stop. By the time you have done all that, you could have dumped ten gallons of fuel in the tank.

29. A Martin

Display Name:

Display name:
    A Martin
    One thing about the Robinson helicopter is the extra tall mast which makes it safer for ground personnel .... however you need a stepladder to refuel which brings you up closer to the rotor .... and with 2 tanks you have to drag the hose and carry the stepladder to each side

Hughes 500 has a low rotor but fuel filler is down low on the right side of the fuselage ... you could almost do it on your knees ... tanks are under the cabin so any spills would not be close to the engine

30. Tantalum

Tantalum Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
    But do you think they go 'ting'?

Zeldman likes this.
  31. wilkersk

wilkersk Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    KennyW
    [​IMG]

Uh oh, ...here we go again!:goofy:

Omalley1537 and Zeldman like this.
  32. Tarheelpilot

Tarheelpilot En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
    Hmm

I’ve done the ag thing and I don’t like the idea of rolling up on a random airport and hot fueling 110LL alone in a helicopter. It could run sideways pretty easily and if it did there’s a lot unknown about other folks being around. Not a great idea but that’s just my personal risk assessment.

A Martin likes this.
  33. Salty

Salty Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty
    This guy was just hanging off the side of the heli with one hand, and fueling with the other. Didn’t even bother with a ladder.

A Martin likes this.
  34. wilkersk

Display Name:

Display name:
    KennyW

My thinking exactly!

Even hand-propping my little "non-starter-equipped" airplane at an unfamiliar airport makes me nervous. I always imagine a group of POA experts gathered around to look out the window, tongues wagging and heads shaking as I single-handedly prop start my little airplane. I expect a visit from the FSDO any day.

35. A Martin

Display Name:

Display name:
    A Martin
    Somewhat unrelated .... but one time at an airport (cold weather) the (Cub ? ) pilot was aggressively working the primer plunger on his dash prior to starting .... until fuel began dripping out from the bottom of his engine cowl ... it looked "dangerous" to me to have raw fuel in the engine compartment so I pointed it out to him but he waved me off .... must have known what he was doing because it started immediately .

36. wilkersk

Display Name:

Display name:
    KennyW
    I have an updraft carb on my little airplane. When I prime, I look for a few drops of fuel to come out the throat of the carb. Especially in cold weather, you'll see some airplanes do that. And, you wouldn't be the first person to stop and tell 'em they flooded it, only to watch it start right up on the 2nd or 3rd blade.

A Martin likes this.
  37. 3393RP

3393RP En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    3393RP
    I have a friend in South Texas that has two R44s. He's always busy, chasing cattle on the King Ranch, netting deer, hog hunts, and quite a few other activities.

He says NFW he will hot fuel the birds by himself. He told me the factory friction lock is so unreliable he designed one and had a machinist friend build it. Even with that lock he feels the risk is too great, because many things can happen when hot fueling and they're almost all bad.

A Martin and Tarheelpilot like this.
  38. Arnold

Arnold Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Arnold
    The only people who know how to start my engine/carb combo are the people who start my engine/carb combo. That being said, if you are new to little old airplanes I can see how you might be concerned.

A Martin likes this.
  39. Salty

Salty Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty
    Any plane with a carb with an accelerator pump will dump fuel like that. My Mooney does it. I don’t pump the throttle until after the prop is spinning to suck as much of the fuel into the cylinders as possible.

A Martin likes this.
  40. WannFly

WannFly Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Priyo
    i was just going to say this... i have seen crop dusters not only refuel, fill the hopper, but the pilot grabbing a quick dinner while that big arse radial engine turning with no one at the controls

Zeldman likes this.