How stupid is this?

Local crop sprayer had a Polish built Dromader with 1000 hp radial and left it running while reloading .... always looked dangerous to me with that huge prop spinning .... one day they shut it down to change spray nozzles and had a pig of a time to get it started again so I understood why they left it running

Some years later that aircraft and a second one were both landing at the same time .... one above the other ... neither knew the other was there .... prop of the Dromader split the belly of the top plane which burst the chemical tank which dumped all over the pilot and saved him because it caught fire and he was soaking wet and able to get out through the flames ... top aircraft managed a crash landing and pilot was OK.

i was just going to say this... i have seen crop dusters not only refuel, fill the hopper, but the pilot grabbing a quick dinner while that big arse radial engine turning with no one at the controls
Yeah... was it a helicopter? There is a difference. Just as a point of reference to put this into context. I have sprayed in both fixed and rotary wing aircraft. I’ve had my lunch with the big old radial idling on the load pad. I will get out of the helicopter to stretch my legs and water the ditch but I’m always at the controls when it’s getting loaded or fueled. I’m much more hesitant to leave it running and not be in the seat than an airplane. Too many ways for it to go sideways.

That’s my risk acceptance. I’m not saying you’ll never see anyone leave the helicopter running unattended or get to watch someone hot fuel a robbi unaided. I’m just saying that in my professional circle of helicopter pilots (all crop duster) I have never seen anyone that fast and loose with ground ops and a running helicopter.

anecdotal evidence for sure but just wanted to share.

Back