How often do you visit your airplane?

saddletramp

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saddletramp
I realized today that I hadn't set eyes on my 182 for a little over two weeks. Between out-of-state business trips & my wife having foot surgery I've been remiss. My plane is in a locked t-hanger, on a private field in which the owner lives...I know it's fine.

Since I'm a new owner maybe that's perfectly normal. Just curious.

So far, every day. Bought her 10/1.

edit: correction - it was down for maintenance for 4 days when I didn't visit it. But I've been flying/saying hi to her every day it's been available.

saddletramp said:
I realized today that I hadn't set eyes on my 182 for a little over two weeks

I think you can expect a visit from the SPCA (Soc. Prev. Cruelty to Airplanes) shortly.
They are very intolerant, and will force you to go for a spin around town or to get a 100$ Hburger as punishment.

mtuomi said:
So far, every day. Bought her 10/1.

Mmm the excitement of a new love. Nothing wrong with that.

Sadly, mine has become mostly a workhorse lately. I need to get something done (transport ppl, medical visits, things for work), she performs beautifully, I give thanks, and I am gone til she is needed again.

Sadly, mine has become mostly a workhorse lately. I need to get something done (transport ppl, medical visits, things for work), she performs beautifully, I give thanks, and I am gone til she is needed again.

I'm now up to just under 100 hours, since 10/1. And it had a 5 day annual and that 4 day maintenance down during this time. I guess I'm addicted.

Right now my is in pieces waiting for the FAA to release it back to me after the accident. But prior to that, I see it every day that I'm home. Right now, there's a Macchi seaplane replica in it's spot (the guy is disassembling it preparing to trailer it back home).

Right now my is in pieces waiting for the FAA to release it back to me after the accident. But prior to that, I see it every day that I'm home. Right now, there's a Macchi seaplane replica in it's spot (the guy is disassembling it preparing to trailer it back home).

And you couldn't post a picture of the Macchi?
Shame on you.

14666095_10207431285931349_6527686977608028368_n.jpg

I get to see her every day at work. I haven't put my hands on her in quite some time but when things slow down at home and work I will get back to working on her.

My own airplanes don't get much attention. I'll sometimes go months without looking at them. But, this is what happens when you have other people's airplanes to take care of and fly.

Between work, life, and weather, I find myself a couple months overdue for yea olde flighte reviewe. But I still find the occasional excuse to run over to the airport. Saturday I had to pick up my torque wrenches to use for putting the heads back on a water jet.

I've owned my current aircraft, a Cherokee, since the first week of April of this year. My aircraft before that, a Cessna 150, I owned from November 2014 until February 2016. Both the Cessna and my Cherokee have nice Waltham 10 day clocks, which I wind every time I visit the hangar...neither have stopped yet (although I think my experience shows a Waltham 10 day clock can actually run at least 12 days without stopping between windings).

Its a great excuse to go visit the hangar: I've gotta wind the clock!

Whoa... Ron, that Macchi is WAY too cool. I've been jonesing for a biplane, and live right by a lake. Too bad it's a no-wake lake in a residential area.

For the OP, over the past year I've seen mine at least weekly. Haven't flown her as often, but I'll at least get to the hangar and make sure everything is still there.

I was seeing mine weekly, until September. Maybe three times now since we pulled the engine for repair. I'll check on her when paying the rent. This would be a good time to drain the gas tank, in preparation for an updated W&B when she's whole again.

The last time I flew my 182 I managed to push the rudder into the back wall of the hangar so I'm not sure my plane wants me to visit :)

Otherwise, I'm usually out there at least once a week, either flying and working on the plane.

Similar to Ron, I visit mine every day I'm not at work. I just have to open my kitchen door, and there they are, hiding behind the Jeep.

IMG_1104.JPG

Everyday at work, my hangar is also my garage, on my off time, once every couple days, less in the winter.

I try to get up to the hangar at least once a week, but if I skip it, for sure the next week. Someone's got to put the empyty beer cans in the recycle!
Now how did they get empty? Thats the real question...
I have a couple of 50cc Honda Sprees and a Porsche 914 taking up some hangar space as well, so there's always something that needs a little tinkering on. :0)
I find it pretty theraputic just to get up there and run in to my fellow pilots as well. I am blessed and very thankful for my life!
Happy Thanksgiving week everybody!!

I try to get up to the hangar at least once a week, but if I skip it, for sure the next week. Someone's got to put the empyty beer cans in the recycle!
I have a couple of 50cc Honda Sprees and a Porsche 914 taking up some hangar space as well, so there's always something that needs a little tinkering on. :0)
I find it pretty theraputic just to get up there and run in to my fellow pilots as well. I am blessed and very thankful for my life!

Ooohhh Noooo! The FAA will be over immediately since Porsche and Honda tinkering are not aeronautical related activities.:D

I'm at the hangar 2-4 times a week to work on the Onex I finally started building. After it's completed, I probably be there 5 times a week to fly or tinker.

Cheers

Once a week, and maybe twice a week when there's great flying weather. After a flight I like to sit on the hangar couch for awhile and go over the flight in my head, thinking about the fun I had...and the flubs I made (and how I'll do better next time!). I'd fly more often if my plane wasn't hangared an hour's drive away.

Love the 914!! I've got a 50-cc scooter as airport transport...so nice to do a lap of the place after flying, to cool down and visit other folks.

IMG_1474.JPG

Typically I stop by the hangar on the way home from DFW on Fridays. My girlfriend runs here businesses out the hangar so she's usually there.

Then there's always something to tinker with or clean, so back I go on Sat and Sun.

I've been slow work-wise so I'm probably over there every day or two right now. Gotta spend that money I ain't makin'!

Anywhere from 1-4x a month, depending on what else is going on and what work is being performed on it. We've gone practically every weekend since September to do work while waiting for props.

Actually, I believe the aircraft is FOR SALE.

Usually once a week. It is good for the engine (and the pilot) to fly at least once a week.

Pretty 914. I used to have very similar except mine was blue. Fun to drive!

Actually, I believe the aircraft is FOR SALE.

Not that I'm particularly interested, but what does something like that go for?

I always thought it would be cool to take a ten minute hop to Greer's Ferry, drop a line in the water, and then fly back home with supper. Talk about fly fishing!!

Don't know, if I see the owner today (he's supposed to stop by), I'll ask.

Pretty 914. I used to have very similar except mine was blue. Fun to drive!

Thanks! Especially fun after the 310-bhp Chevy LS1 conversion. :D (Air intake for the radiator hidden by the front bumperettes in that shot.) Sold it to help finance the airplane.

Shouldn't a LS1 be making north of 310hp?

Back