How much would it cost to get this refinished

Rebel Lord

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rebel Lord
So the archer I'm looking to buy had battery acid on the tail, mechanic said it hasn't corroded the metal yet but it needs new paint.

IMG_9857.PNG

Shouldn't you be asking your mechanic, i.e. one who is going to actually do the remediation, and not a gaggle of strangers on the internet?

Shouldn't you be asking your mechanic, i.e. one who is going to actually do the remediation, and not a gaggle of strangers on the internet?

He said "Not much", plus I want as many opinons as possible.

Not much is subjective to the person giving, and the person receiving the money.
Usually by a wide margin.

My estimate is, twice as much as you want to pay, plus labor and materials.

Seriously though, you would need to get an actual quote or two. It's the only thing that will matter probably in negotiations, and also gets other sets of eyes on it in case there is damage below the paint.

Last edited:
"Not much" LOL. Find a mechanic that gives better estimates than that.

just materials? Ballpark around 5k for stripping, primer, and paint etc.

Last edited:
Is this a drop it off and call me when it's done?
2-3k small shops
4-5k big brand FBOs

Doing the grunt work yourself under the eye of a AP
>1k

Probably get the best results doing it yourself too

The photo appears to be of the fuselage. If the stabilator is affected, the only right way to repaint that is to remove it. In any case, fixing it right would probably cost more than "not much" by my definition. I'd be curious about how much of the acid may have seeped into joints or other areas which aren't easily visible. I'd recommend obtaining firm estimates for proper repair from reputable shops.

Why is there acid damage on the bottom of the airplane? I assume that there was a battery leak or boil over event, but the battery box drain should be capped at the exit point on the fuselage to prevent damage to the aircraft if there is drainage during flight. The cap is removable for draining once on the ground.

JKG

The photo appears to be of the fuselage. If the stabilator is affected, the only right way to repaint that is to remove it. In any case, fixing it right would probably cost more than "not much" by my definition. I'd be curious about how much of the acid may have seeped into joints or other areas which aren't easily visible. I'd recommend obtaining firm estimates for proper repair from reputable shops.

Why is there acid damage on the bottom of the airplane? I assume that there was a battery leak or boil over event, but the battery box drain should be capped at the exit point on the fuselage to prevent damage to the aircraft if there is drainage during flight. The cap is removable for draining once on the ground.

JKG
The battery box drain is not capped on the PA-28s.

Is that filiform corrosion? :popcorn:

Duh.......

The battery box drain is not capped on the PA-28s.

Assuming the "archer" in question is an Archer II or III, it is supposed to have the cap. The III might have a different discharge setup, but can't remember.

JKG

Last edited:
True, not a show stopper, but that doesn't happen over one annual's cycle. That's several years of "lookie-over" annuals. Pass.

True, not a show stopper, but that doesn't happen over one annual's cycle. That's several years of "lookie-over" annuals. Pass.

If it's not hurting the metal it's not a airworthy issue and has zero bearing on a annual.

my problem with it.....it's an obvious mess, why did it get that far? Anyone could have kept it clean and prevented the damage, but it was neglected. Yes it could be fixed for a deal....if I was enthusiastic about the panel, engine and whatever else I might go for it. But, there are just too many other Cherokees.....

my problem with it.....it's an obvious mess, why did it get that far? Anyone could have kept it clean and prevented the damage, but it was neglected. Yes it could be fixed for a deal....if I was enthusiastic about the panel, engine and whatever else I might go for it. But, there are just too many other Cherokees.....

Exactly depends on the deal and the rest of the plane, and like you said lots to choose from, it would have to be a deal or a special plane for me to bother with this on a common PA28

Yeah no doubt. That's not the only anomaly on the bird, you can bet on that.

What happens to that when you rub that with your hand? Comes off clean leaving a smooth surface? Or those surface collections are hiding corrosion?

Back