How much metal is “making metal”

zbrown5

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Zach
how many metal flakes in an oil filter after a change is cause for concern?

Depends... do you expect your engines to start shedding metal?

No. But guy at the airport was showing me his oil samples and oil screen. Couple flakes every oil change. 480hrs on the engine.

Maybe what i should have asked was whether it was reasonable to see some metal flakes here and there or if the expectation should be zero.

if there's more flakes than you can count....you might want to go on the internets and axe a question. ;)

three or four or five flakes with no glitter....I'm not worried.

Some thing is a miss, who rebuilt it?
are these particles magnetic?
Was the engine run on a test cell prior to installing?

Central cylinder in Omaha. Reputable shop. Unsure if magnetic but will check that out Monday. What would that imply vs not magnetic?

Central cylinder in Omaha. Reputable shop. Unsure if magnetic but will check that out Monday. What would that imply vs not magnetic?
How much damage that can be done by it in your oil system.
Does this engine have a constant speed prop that didn't get flushed?

A few non-magnetic flakes in the screen at a couple of oil changes turned into enough to plug the screen and indicate a total loss of oil pressure for me once.

Do the spin-on oil filter conversion. It catches way more and is better for your engine in the long run.

It has a new prop and governor at overhaul time.

Doesn't stop the engine from making metal, though. ;)
It can, by removing from circulation the tiny particles that a screen passes back into the system to grind more metal off moving parts.

Back