How much harder is IFR then Private?

Lenny you're always learning in aviation. I've been at it a long time and still learning. The Instrument Rating will make you a better pilot. Get to it! Good luck.
Agreed everytime i go up i learn something new

I think not. At least one (if not both) used a fellow who retired from teaching education at a University. That is, he taught people how to teach. Got a gold seal or gold star or something of the like from the FAA. I’ve flown with him and been impressed, and I definitely can’t say that about everyone.

You teach, right? Are there some students who you can get through to and others who you're incapable of teaching? I've taught a bunch of things in my life - everything from swim lessons to math at the local community college. My experience is that there are some brain mismatches where Student A cannot relate to Instructor B. It could be that your acquaintance is really good at teaching some things or some people, but other things or other personality types, not so much.

I suspect you're plenty smart to get whatever rating you desire. But you may have to work for it and there is always the fear of failure. Both of those things take a bit of motivation to overcome. Maybe you're just not motivated to be IFR. Myself, I'm ambivalent. I'd love to be enroute IFR certified, but that ain't an option.

I’m thinking of doing my CPL also... I’m guessing it won’t be to bad???
Currently watching the King videos. Much of it is a review of items you should already know, though the aerodynamic section did dig a bit deeper.

Plan on digging into SheppardAir next. Then sit for the exam. Then push through the ACS to mark and sticky note various texts in areas I know I struggle with. This way when it’s time for the ride, I have created a good review pathway.

In next 4weeks, I’ll also get busy on FOI and other items on the road toward CFI.

I know what I said before, but the answer to your question is yes. It’s much harder than your PPL. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it.
You are a MUCH better pilot after the IR, even if you never use it. No comparison.

I think it was the most rewarding part of flying in my 700 ish hours so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easiest checkride I've taken. It's a different type of flying but it isn't as difficult to learn as going from nothing to PPL. Very fun as well.

Easiest checkride I've taken. It's a different type of flying but it isn't as difficult to learn as going from nothing to PPL. Very fun as well.
Hmmm.... I’ve heard folks say it’s not the hardest (me), but never the easiest.

Just how many checkrides have you taken??
I have taken 50+

The IFR checkride for me was the easiest cause its just approaches and a hold which are the easiest part of IFR imo. Flying IFR for real though I'd probably struggle with. My slow redneck brain locks up if I don't hear cleared as filed lol.

The IFR checkride for me was the easiest cause its just approaches and a hold which are the easiest part of IFR imo. Flying IFR for real though I'd probably struggle with. My slow redneck brain locks up if I don't hear cleared as filed lol.
Well... JMHO, but I think you should consider going and getting a bit more instruction.

Two of my colleagues have been pilots. Neither had any difficulty with the PPL. Both got pink slipped during the IR ride. Both are smarter than me. Small sample size, but it speaks to me.
Are you sure you aren't equating talent or ability in one domain as intelligence that translates to talent or ability in a different domain, similar to the Peter Principle?

Very strange thread title. My answer would be: not hard, impossible. (Though via Part 141, one can get them at the same time.)

;)

Except for multi commercial ride I thought it was the most fun and easier than my PPL

PPL airplane (VFR) was only hard because the DPE busted me and was later investigated by the FAA for excessive busts. Instrument helo wasn’t too difficult. Instrument airplane was pretty easy. Commercial was a matter of taking an easy written test (military comp).

...Probably the most difficult part was trying to figure out how to set up and use a Garmin 430 and 650. The UI on these units is horrid....
You're lucky if you haven't had to deal with the units that came before. The Garmin 430 and 650 were a big improvement.

Currently watching the King videos. Much of it is a review of items you should already know, though the aerodynamic section did dig a bit deeper.

Plan on digging into SheppardAir next. Then sit for the exam. Then push through the ACS to mark and sticky note various texts in areas I know I struggle with. This way when it’s time for the ride, I have created a good review pathway.

In next 4weeks, I’ll also get busy on FOI and other items on the road toward CFI.

If that's the plan, take the CPL and CFI writtens together. They're essentially the same test. (Also, so is the AGI, if you're interested in that... if for no other reason that to "lock in" your FOI.)

Hmmm.... I’ve heard folks say it’s not the hardest (me), but never the easiest.

Just how many checkrides have you taken??
I have taken 50+

Private, instrument, commercial, commercial multi, CFI. Just my experience, doesn’t mean it’s that way for everyone. No need to flaunt your 50+ checkrides.

My experience was IR was easier than Private. I'd been flying quite a while before doing IR; I think it helps in understanding what is really important, and what is just "stump the dummy".

IR includes a bilzzard of marginally useful stuff, and some fairly silly FAA-induced goofiness regarding control and instrument relationships, and such stuff.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong. . .

The ground portion is like watching paint dry while chewing on sunflower seeds

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Private, instrument, commercial, commercial multi, CFI. Just my experience, doesn’t mean it’s that way for everyone. No need to flaunt your 50+ checkrides.
You think the IR was the easiest?? To each their own.

IMO, the IR was harder and way less fun. I only have two ratings, so I have no idea about the rest. I trained and was ready for the commercial according to my CFI, but never did get the check ride, or take the written. I really didn't need the rating. I've heard the CFI is the hardest.

I tell everyone who is interested that they should absolutely get the IR if possible because it's a valuable skill set, but I also tell them not to expect it to be fun like the PPL was. It's mostly a frustrating PITA. There are fun things you will do, but I estimate they are maybe only 20% of the time.

Whether IR was the easiest to some or hardest to others, doesn't really matter to the OP since it only shows how different we all are. Which is perfectly understandable.
OP, if you are a smart man and can learn more rules and more weather and more systems, it won't be too bad. Your personal experience may vary from others'.

However, whenever someone asks me whether they should go for IR immediately after they get their PPL, I tend to answer: no. For one big reason. It takes some time for us to master the craft and become much more proficient with the airplane. And you want to be very proficient during your IR training. You want to be able to make the airplane do whatever you need it to do without thinking about it because you would need to be focusing on other tasks (approaches, clearances etc).

If you do it right, don't rush it and have a good instructor, IR training can be a lot of fun. (again, some might report that they hated it, we're all different)

So to sum it up: go fly and have fun!

Whether IR was the easiest to some or hardest to others, doesn't really matter to the OP since it only shows how different we all are. Which is perfectly understandable.
OP, if you are a smart man and can learn more rules and more weather and more systems, it won't be too bad. Your personal experience may vary from others'.

However, whenever someone asks me whether they should go for IR immediately after they get their PPL, I tend to answer: no. For one big reason. It takes some time for us to master the craft and become much more proficient with the airplane. And you want to be very proficient during your IR training. You want to be able to make the airplane do whatever you need it to do without thinking about it because you would need to be focusing on other tasks (approaches, clearances etc).

If you do it right, don't rush it and have a good instructor, IR training can be a lot of fun. (again, some might report that they hated it, we're all different)

So to sum it up: go fly and have fun!
I whole heatedly agree about not jumping right into the IR after the PP.
Back when I got my IR there were minimum hour requirements so you had no choice but to build skill on cross countries. I guess they did away with that shortly after I got that rating.

OK. been flying since 1982, never got the IR. I would like some advice on a training course I could do on the computer, interactive would be nice. Please don't suggest King. Thanks in advance.

I found IFR to be more challenging. I also became more proficient as I was a low time PPL while I was learning. I did lots of hours with My CFII but also had a VFR friend act as my safely pilot for a bunch of approaches. I think he learned a lot about IFR in the process. That might be a good way to experience some of the training as well.

In my case, GA for fun, I realized that getting the rating would be at an acceptable level of difficulity. BUT keeping current would require more effort than it was worth for the kind of flying that I do.

Last edited:
I thought the IFR was harder than the PPL, but, we're all a bit different in how we learn and process. I had fun at times and other times it sucked....I still hate foggles, love actual. Have fun with it, work through the learning plateaus and keep moving forward. The first time you break out and the airport is exactly where its supposed to be, or you're where you should be ;) it will all be worth the time and effort.

Back