How Much does it Cost to Certify a New Homebuilt Aircraft?

Henry Mullin

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Henry Mullin
I was wondering how much it cost to get a new homebuilt certified to fly?

A few hundred for the DAR inspection and a $5 registration fee to the FAA.

If you use your FSDO to conduct the airworthiness inspection it’s free. If you go the DAR route it all depends on whether they have to travel or not as those costs have to be factored in. There’s no fixed fee schedule for DARs so I guess it can pay to shop around.

Depending on the aircraft, you might also want to get 91.411 and 413 inspections which usually run a few hundred dollars.

Finally, if you have to pay someone to weigh your aircraft, that can also add another couple of hundred to the mix.

If you use your FSDO to conduct the airworthiness inspection it’s free. If you go the DAR route it all depends on whether they have to travel or not as those costs have to factored in. There’s no fixed fee schedule for DARs so I guess it can pay to shop around.
Oh Alright, thanks guys!

I just wrote a check for $1,450 to a DAR for my kit plane’s airworthiness inspection. $550 of that was mileage. Worth every penny.

I just wrote a check for $1,450 to a DAR for my kit plane’s airworthiness inspection. $550 of that was mileage. Worth every penny.

:needpics:

And as a mod you should already know this. :D

:needpics:

And as a mod you should already know this. :D
It’s in the ROC. That’s why I necroposted the picture in my “Talk me out of doing this” thread yesterday. :)

I was looking at buying a never flown Thorp T-211 In Sebring, FL on barnstormers and was given 750.00 plus .50 per mile travel cost round trip by a nearby DAR.
Also found a test pilot to do the first 25 hours for around 2k-3k.

The FSDO did my RV9A. Inspection was free, registration was $5.00. Airplane was $90,000 to build. lol
Here's the YT link to the first flight March 1, 2021.

Last edited:
Back