How many single engine airplanes can carry 4 people? Under 100K

Question should be which plane grossed out will fly and climb. Have fun in an Archer when the DA goes up.

I've done it in my Mooney, we probably averaged ~200 each. The back seat is tight, they complain after about 1-1/2 hours. I was limited to 34 gals of fuel, about 3:45, so 300 nm easily with > 1 hour reserve. Need to rework W&B for bags; make everyone pack light!

A Mooney is so fast you can just make 2 trips :-o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Send luggage by FedEx. Makes it easy to go in many planes with just 800lbs of people.

Tim

I want to know why 4 guys need 100 lbs luggage for a trip in July. My 1 week backpack for the beach weighs in at less than 10 lbs.

I think the 182k I fly could barely do it, but it wouldn't be comfortable.

I weigh over 200 lbs and I flew myself and three other adults in a 172N before.

Of course my wife weighs 90 lbs, her friend weighed about 110 and the friend's boyfriend weighed around 140. It's easier when your passengers are skinny Asians rather than a bunch of other fat assed Americans.

Just ran the numbers on my 182J. 4 @200 lbs plus 100lbs of bags and 50 gallons of fuel leaves you at a few lbs under gross. That is burning 13/gal/hr

You counting the $100k requirement just a down payment?
Naw. Just counting on a sugar daddy.

(coffee before posting... coffee before posting... covfefe before posting...)

It'd be a bad trip in any four-seat Cessna. . .probably a bad trip in most four seaters, any make.

The weight distributions were slightly different, but I've done that in my 182P. If you find a 182P or Q with the 3,100 lb gross weight paper STC, its very doable.

The most comfortable and leaving tons of room for "extra" weight will be a cherokee six...

My Debonair can haul 4 200lbs people and 44 gal of fuel. And I've done it several times in one form or another. And I've had no complaints from the backseat passengers. But these were all just day trips and generally 11/2 hour or less legs.

Am I the only one here that feels like this is the start of an NTSB report? 4 big guys in an underpowered plane, in the heat of summer. 3 of the guys have probably never flown in a small plane before, and anyone that has flown with novice pax, knows they can under the right circumstances be downright distracting, with luggage 4X25, who packs 25 lbs of luggage??? All this in a rental plane, that the pilot is probably only moderately proficient in, since it is likely new to him?? Not loving the idea :-(

I did it in the Tiger. 962 lb useful load, so 162 remaining for fuel at 10 GPH, and 130 - 135 KTAS. No luggage though, or I'd have to dump even more fuel.

The weight distributions were slightly different, but I've done that in my 182P. If you find a 182P or Q with the 3,100 lb gross weight paper STC, its very doable.

Our 182P has the paper STC. Full tanks (over 600 miles) leaves 800 pounds.
A good 182P can be had for under 100k
A Cherokee 6 can probably do the same job at a very similar airspeed.

Our 182P has the paper STC. Full tanks (over 600 miles) leaves 800 pounds.
A good 182P can be had for under 100k
A Cherokee 6 can probably do the same job at a very similar airspeed.
Agreed, albeit a little slower and burn more fuel doing it. Also uses more runway too, if that makes a difference.

The real question here is which aircraft won't take four. The real answer is those with only two seats.

Would the OP consider making a three hour road trip in a Mini Cooper with 4 x 200 pound people and luggage? Oh yeah, no A/C and the windows don't roll down. Add to that you're following a big loud truck and bouncing around in the turbulence it creates.

Agreed, albeit a little slower and burn more fuel doing it. Also uses more runway too, if that makes a difference.
The 6 is actually a little faster.

The 6 is actually a little faster.
Well, both. Compared to a 182P (143kts), the PA-32-260s are 6kts slower (137kts). The PA-32-300s are 3kts faster (146kts). The post-Hershey bar PA-32s (151kts) are the fastest of the fixed gear cherokee 6s, but those are probably beyond the $100k budget described. Of course these are all marketing numbers and YMMV. Safe to say the early sixes are comparable in airspeed to a 182 of similar vintage.

Well, both. Compared to a 182P (143kts), the PA-32-260s are 6kts slower (137kts). The PA-32-300s are 3kts faster (146kts). The post-Hershey bar PA-32s (151kts) are the fastest of the fixed gear cherokee 6s, but those are probably beyond the $100k budget described. Of course these are all marketing numbers and YMMV. Safe to say the early sixes are comparable in airspeed to a 182 of similar vintage.
From what I've seen in real world is that the six is faster.

My Comanche gets 910# of payload with just the mains full - so that'll cover your 4 200 pounders plus 100# of bags, you'll see about 155 ktas - plus at least 3 hours of flying with an hour reserve -= than 500nm still air range.

Plus its comfy inside. Can't land til you burn off 27 gals of fuel though. Max landing weight of 3040#

My 182P can't sniff 143 knots. It's a 130 knot airplane at normal settings at altitude.

Hasn't this thread been done a million times??

How about changing it up a bit? How many single engine airplanes can four people carry?

Four airplanes walk into a bar, one person riding on all four.

The bartender says "Sir, aren't you the guy on TV wanted for bank robbery?"

The fella says "Dang, I thought I'd hide in plane sight."

yes that's just awful.

Hasn't this thread been done a million times??

How about changing it up a bit? How many single engine airplanes can four people carry?

Now it has been done 1,000,001 times ;)

Back