How many of you guys....

jordane93

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jordan
use proper phraseology mentioned in the AIM such as "fife" or "tree." The only one that I really use is "niner." What about you guys?

Last edited:
FWIW, in the Navy, while the use of 'niner' is universally acceptable, those who say 'tree' or 'fife' are typically referred to as tools.

FWIW, in the Navy, while the use of 'niner' is universally acceptable, those who say 'tree' or 'fife' are typically referred to as tools.

That's me. I even shout "Fow-er!" when I'm playing golf.

Niner.
Fife and Tree sound funny to me. Not sure why those two were picked to be pronounced differently. I get the reason behind niner but those two...

Niner only.... Fife is reserved for discussing a certain sheriff's deputy character from a 1960's TV show.

I also forgot Key-bec. I've heard NY approach, Bradley approach, and some towers in upstate use fife and tree pretty often

I totally say Qwabeck
And I don't like Pa-PA either. Hear that a lot

I used to work with a pilot who would throw in the occasional 'fiver' just to keep his FTE's on their toes.:rolleyes: Also more than one exchange pilot for whom 'tree' was the norm. ;)

Nauga,
who knows people who can't see the forest for the 3's

Every syllable counts, just say nein to niner.

My CFI told me for my second lesson I should study up on radio calls since I'd start doing them. I really wanted to impress him so the next day heading back to the airport I announced I was "level tree thousand fife hundred." Got a funny look from my CFI and ATC asked me to repeat altitude and then descend to "one thousand TREE hundred"

Lesson learned: only niner

only time i've ever heard anyone annunciate it was when someone kept asking ATC to repeat and then the controller would use it. Otherwise, niner is it for me.

Niner only.... Fife is reserved for discussing a certain sheriff's deputy character from a 1960's TV show.

Well, there's a town by that name north of Tacoma. Go through there every time I drive up to SEA to ride the pressurized aluminum mailing tubes.

Niner only.

My husband and I use the alphabet stuff sometimes. Sometimes it is hard to distinguish between V and B when spoken. :)

I refuse to use zulu time. Too confusing and cumbersome for GA. Give me the local time and we will get along just fine. I always find it amusing when I ask weather briefers to convert the time and they can't without stuttering and guessing a couple of times.

Now if I can just get those morons to stop using Celcious to report temps, and use MPH instead of knots. :rolleyes: :lol:

I refuse to use zulu time. Too confusing and cumbersome for GA. Give me the local time and we will get along just fine. I always find it amusing when I ask weather briefers to convert the time and they can't without stuttering and guessing a couple of times.

Now if I can just get those morons to stop using Celcious to report temps, and use MPH instead of knots. :rolleyes: :lol:

Try growing up using pounds, Fahrenheit, mph, gallons and then when you're about 9, the government changes everything to kilos, Celsius, kilometers/hr, and liters. Had to unlearn everything I learned. Then I moved to the USA where things of that sort were normal. :D

Try growing up using pounds, Fahrenheit, mph, gallons and then when you're about 9, the government changes everything to kilos, Celsius, kilometers/hr, and liters. Had to unlearn everything I learned. Then I moved to the USA where things of that sort were normal. :D

Heh. When I was a wee kid in elementary school, we were taught metric right alongside the English measures, with the presumption that the changeover was to proceed in 1970. Still don't get why it didn't...

Yeah, we were taught the metric system in school too and I always liked it better. It certainly was far simpler being that it was base 10.

The U.S. Never successfully converted, IIRC, because the Feds mandated a "hard conversion."

i.e. One couldn't simply take a 4'x8' sheet of plywood and start referring to it by its metric dimensions (that would constitute a "soft conversion"). Noooooooo, that would be too easy, the sheet of plywood would need to be physically resized to the nearest rounded-off metric dimensions.

So instead of a sheet of plywood being 122cm x 244 cm. It would be resized to maybe 125 x 250 or maybe 150 x 300.

It would have made for compatibility nightmares in many fields. Soft conversions are the way to go and then let things naturally morph to hard conversions.

One of the controllers at GMU will over emphasize and say nine-ER if the pilot only says nine.

"Greenville tower Cessna 123xx ready for takeoff runway one nine.
Cessna 123xx cleared for take off runway one nine-ER."

One of the controllers at GMU will over emphasize and say nine-ER if the pilot only says nine.

"Greenville tower Cessna 123xx ready for takeoff runway one nine.
Cessna 123xx cleared for take off runway one nine-ER."

At one of my airports we have a lot of students and I chuckle whenever I hear "runway eighteen" or "thirty six". It reminds me of how far I've come, becasuse I did that too.

No different in the Army. I do find it interesting though that "repeat" carries the same reserved status in civil aviation communications that it has in military radio communications.

Niner only.

I think about it but just cant get the Fife or Tree to come out of my mouth (or any other place for that matter):yikes:

I tried the "tree" and "fife" thing a couple of times as a student. After all, that's what the AIM says, right?

I was uniformly greeted with a "say again" from the controller on the other end. And unless I used the conventional English "three," Ground would copy down 3ZK as 2ZK and 53G as 52G.

I use niner, but not fife or tree unless I am talking about Barney or a large plant that is used for firewood, lumber and paper. :D
One of the controllers at FTY uses PaPAA on the ATIS, I never had a problem with it. :)

Heh. When I was a wee kid in elementary school, we were taught metric right alongside the English measures, with the presumption that the changeover was to proceed in 1970. Still don't get why it didn't...

It should say something that the people that invented the imperial system don't use it anymore, yet we continue to use it......

It should say something that the people that invented the imperial system don't use it anymore, yet we continue to use it......

Actually, they do. The UK still uses the Imperial system.

Does anyone know why fife and tree are recommended instead of five and three? Niner is obvious but I don't see the potential for misunderstanding with five and three.

Yes, but mostly it was for artillery fire, or a nine line for close air support...then again secure radios distort the transmission with frequency hopping or encryption. Sometimes accurate grids are important....so I sometimes slip it in accidently on clear commo channels. never thought of me being a tool...

Back