How many hours do I have?

It doesn't really matter, but for those that say any and all time the prop is running, why is 24 minutes of ground time loggable and reasonable, but 24 hours of ground time not? It shouldn't matter why you are idling right, just that eventually, you are going to fly. Ridiculous? Absolutely, but if one minute is acceptable than 1 day should be acceptable. But apparently 1 day isn't acceptable from those those that say as soon as the prop spins. So where's the cut off for those saying all time all the time?
Intent.

Did you really intend to just go flying, or did you intend to game the system?

Only your hairdresser knows for sure.

I still don't get why you want to penalize yourself. Is it OCD forcing you to follow the strictest, most basic definition of the phrase "flight time?" Is someone watching over your shoulder, promising to beat you if you "cheat" even a little? Blink twice if you need us to call the police for you.

I am OCD about some things, yeah. Flight time to me is when the wheels lift off. I also don't care about the hours so much, or at all really, so it's not a penalty in my book. I know about what I am ad the hundred hours place, but I don't know if that hundred is nn01 or nn99. I do find it funny how people get crazy eyes when anyone suggests that they they might have 0.2 less in their logbook. As far as rounding up vs down on the hobbs, why didn't you just idle for 3 minutes and make sure it is centered. I mean, all time the engine is running/the master is on is flight time right?

Intent.

Did you really intend to just go flying, or did you intend to game the system?

Only your hairdresser knows for sure.

I eventually intend to go flying. I am just REALLY OCD with my run up and checklists!

So, how do I figure all that time that I pull power to idle and glide to touchdown? I mean, thats like 1000 RPM, so the 2000 RPM threshold is no longer met. Does that mean that a landing at less than 2000 RPM cant be logged? Sorry, I just felt like being pedantic. Seriously Ed, let it go.

So, how do I figure all that time that I pull power to idle and glide to touchdown? I mean, thats like 1000 RPM, so the 2000 RPM threshold is no longer met. Does that mean that a landing at less than 2000 RPM cant be logged? Sorry, I just felt like being pedantic. Seriously Ed, let it go.

Cutoff RPM is not the same as start RPM. Found that out the first flight with the new timer when it was flight time off and on at 2000. Did a few TnG's at various airports, and the recorder flight time was waaaaaaaaaay less than what it should have been. Changed the cutoff time to something like 500 RPM or so.

...so what if get in the plane, fire it up, taxi out, and you put your foggles on because you intended to do a 0 viz takeoff to test out a theory about a taking off in hard IMC in reference to a Christmas crash in Florida a while ago. But, to be safe, you bring your buddy to act as safety pilot, and to be extra safe you also bring your CFI.. because why not. No one is IFR rated though, and there are some clouds, so you bring your instrument rated buddy along as well so you can legally get a clearance later

well... because you are very very thorough your preflight prep, with setting radios, briefing the take off, etc., takes you a full 24 hrs... but eventually you get airborne.. Suddenly though, half an our later.. (OP, read, that is 0.5) at about 2,000 AGL you lose your engine.. catastrophic failure, prop is dead stopped. While attempting to restart you kill the electrical system and lose all power, and the hobbs stop turning as well. Luckily though, because you are an ace who is a real pilot and does NOT need a parachute you manage to land your Bonanza without a problem about 12 minutes later

.. so who gets to log what at the end of this? Do 4 people log 24.5 hours.. or do they get to log 24.7 hrs?

I forgot to mention, this was a new airport with a treadmill runway system

<nerd>
Don't forget, if you fly close to the speed of light, you have to worry about Time Dilation.
The Hobbs will read 0.2, but 30 years will have elapsed on the ground and all your friends will be gone... How do you log that?
:) :)
</nerd>

Taxiing out with the INTENT to fly and failing a runup and taxiing back... would be logged wouldn’t it...? The aircraft moved under its own power and was going to go flying, and then didn’t...

(Ducking and running away after throwing the hand grenade...) :)

Yes, that can be logged if one so wished.

However, I hardly ever log pt 91 flight time.

Yes, that can be logged if one so wished.

However, I hardly ever log pt 91 flight time.

Shhhh. Of course you do.

You wouldn’t want to accidentally go over a duty day or something and kill a schoolbus full of nuns and babies! :) :) :)

Shhhh. Of course you do.

You wouldn’t want to accidentally go over a duty day or something and kill a schoolbus full of nuns and babies! :) :) :)

I should a been a little more precise....

No need for me to log part 91 flights in my logbook. Might put it in my time and duty log though.

I'm just interested in where people have a cut-off of it being okay to just sit there and idle versus being ridiculous.

The cutoff is 3.14159..... hours.

Just because you seem to be a bit irrational about it.

:D

<nerd>
Don't forget, if you fly close to the speed of light, you have to worry about Time Dilation.
The Hobbs will read 0.2, but 30 years will have elapsed on the ground and all your friends will be gone... How do you log that?
:) :)
</nerd>

You forgot to do the math on the friction from the air molecules. You'd basically fuse and destroy a decent chunk of the earth since you would release close to 7.29 x 10^20J of energy - assuming somewhere near 0.9c

Last edited:
If I am doing flight ops (run up, talk to the tower or ground, taxiing, making a decision to abort during taxi or take off roll) it is getting logged, doesn't matter if the wheels left the ground hopefully you were still acting and thinking as a pilot. If I go out start the plane and find something wrong that requires me to shut down before calling ground, I probably wouldn't log it. I wouldn't fault anyone for doing it though because they were still going thru some sort of decision making process or acting as the pilot of the craft. Now if you hopped in started the plane and never intended to fly it, I question why you just wasted all that fuel and money to sit trying to game the system and all you did was miss out on the fun part.

BTW I can get in plane, start, contact ground, taxi out, engine already warmed up if someone else just rented it, and make at least one full pattern back to parking in .2 hours. Might even be able to do two laps of the pattern. I can do 3 laps in .4 without rushing through anything, full stops.

I logged 1.5 hours when we had to gate return in BUF due to a ground stop in LGA. Should I be worried?

the post above about speed of light and time dilation got me thinking. In all seriousness, does anyone know how the space shuttle crew logged pic flight time?

the post above about speed of light and time dilation got me thinking. In all seriousness, does anyone know how the space shuttle crew logged pic flight time?

You could look them up and see if any of them have Commercial Glider certificates. :)

(Honestly, I assume the Shuttle flew under a waiver or military rules. FAA does have spacecraft rules now, but doubt they did for a reusable space glider back then.)

^I wish I could give more likes

All the hours you log ,don’t necessarily make you a good pilot,also achieving the hours in your log,for a certificate,doesn’t mean you can pass the test.

Back