How long will my fixed pitch propeller last?

Baron62

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Baron62
I have new to me 85 Archer that has the original Sensenich fixed pitch propeller with 2540 Hrs TT and a prop overhaul at 1138Hrs. Propeller has been dressed/painted during some annuals. The plane seems to fly great with no noticeble vibration issues. The prop has leading edge paint/wear errosion and the pilot side has some paint chipping off. I would like to have it dressed/repainted, but was wondering how long this paint would last. How long can I expect the propeller to last? Would I notice a difference in performance on a propeller overhaul?

Thanks

I called Sensenich and they stated that an overhaul would cost roughly $700

I recently had my Sensenich stripped, inspected/magnafluxed, and re-painted by a good local prop shop (AC Propeller - http://www.acpropeller.com/) I'll have to check the invoice, but it was less than $500.

I recall that there is a difference between an overhaul and an IRAN (inspect and repair as necessary...) and there were some good reasons to ask for an IRAN instead of an overhaul on a prop. I think Mike Busch had an article about it.

The prop had about 1500 hrs since new was starting to look pretty beat up on the leading edges, and also had some scratches in the paint on the face of the blade that concerned my mechanic and I. I expect the new paint job to last about the same 1500 hours-ish, with the usual touch-ups over the years. I did not notice or expect any change in performance.

In reality it is a chunk of aluminum, it will last a life time with care. Leading cause of failure is a prop strike. minor dressing of the leading edge is the next. Every time you dress the leading edge it gets smaller.
Never have a fixed pitch prop overhauled. When necessary have it inspected and repaired as to return to service.

Well, you could get a cruise prop or a climb prop if you are looking for some performance. but, you steal from Peter to pay Paul on a fixed pitch hub.

I don't think its worth the money unless you already need an overhaul. that prop has what, a 2000 hour or 7 year OH recommendation?

I recently had my Sensenich stripped, inspected/magnafluxed,

You can not "magna flux" a non Ferrous element. ( you must be able to magnetize it) Dye penetrant is the only option for aluminum props.

Second the comment on not overhauling props. They cut them at OH, eventually bumping you out of service limits, which the shops love because they get to stick you to the tune of 7-15k for a new boat paddle. That's like 2-3 years of avgas for me on the Arrow. IRAN accomplishes all the necessary mx on the thing without cutting them. Your money, your circus, but I wouldn't touch that fixed prop beyond addressing nicks on the leading edge.

Second the comment on not overhauling props. They cut them at OH, eventually bumping you out of service limits, which the shops love because they get to stick you to the tune of 7-15k for a new boat paddle. That's like 2-3 years of avgas for me on the Arrow. IRAN accomplishes all the necessary mx on the thing without cutting them. Your money, your circus, but I wouldn't touch that fixed prop beyond addressing nicks on the leading edge.
Well some props are time life-ed by AD, so whatcha going to do then?

In reality it is a chunk of aluminum, it will last a life time with care. Leading cause of failure is a prop strike. minor dressing of the leading edge is the next. Every time you dress the leading edge it gets smaller.
Never have a fixed pitch prop overhauled. When necessary have it inspected and repaired as to return to service.
this....don't ever ask for an overhaul of a prop....it will not make it any "better"....just more expensive.

BTW, checked my invoice - I did not misremember Magnaflux, but it is the prop bolts (steel) that were Magnafluxed and cad plated per AMS-QQ-P-416.

BTW, checked my invoice - I did not misremember Magnaflux, but it is the prop bolts (steel) that were Magnafluxed and cad plated per AMS-QQ-P-416.
There ya go,, very common practice, because they are not cheap, and Hartizell has a priority part number on them, = AN bolts of proper fit are not authorized. McCauley AN's are good to go.

I recall a set of bolts was around $300 when I replaced them on a different airplane. Sensenich part number, similar to AN8H-46AS with the same grip length, but different (longer, I think) thread length.

Last edited:
Could there be eddy current or fluorescent penetrant "options"?
eddy current is not used on bolts because the threads giving false readings, florescent penetrants are still a dye type inspection, only you use a black light to see the gathering of the dye in the defect.

It'll last until your mechanic files and dresses it enough that the blades don't meet dimensional minimums. At that point you'll be wise to pitch the toothpick and put some new meat on the front.

eddy current is not used on bolts because the threads giving false readings, florescent penetrants are still a dye type inspection, only you use a black light to see the gathering of the dye in the defect.
Bolts weren't the subject when you wrote "dye penetrant is the only option for aluminum props". I've been level II penetrant inspection qualified for almost 30 years. Liquid penetrant testing is commonly broken down 1) visible dye (usually red color) 2) fluorescent dye, yes, but referred of as "fluorescent penetrant". Fluorescent penetrant has a higher sensitivity, hence, the use of visible red dye penetrant is becoming limited in our industry.

Bolts weren't the subject when you wrote "dye penetrant is the only option for aluminum props". I've been level II penetrant inspection qualified for almost 30 years. Liquid penetrant testing is commonly broken down 1) visible dye (usually red color) 2) fluorescent dye, yes, but referred of as "fluorescent penetrant". Fluorescent penetrant has a higher sensitivity, hence, the use of visible red dye penetrant is becoming limited in our industry.
We were talking prop bolts weren't we ?

I also was a NDI inspector while I worked for the NAVY. my first experience was red dye about 1963, T-28 nose forks and the last was a fluorescent particle magnaflux on a T-56 torque meter.

We were talking prop bolts weren't we ?

I also was a NDI inspector while I worked for the NAVY. my first experience was red dye about 1963, T-28 nose forks and the last was a fluorescent particle magnaflux on a T-56 torque meter.
No. No, we weren't.

At least you spelled fluorescent correctly this time.

And yes, magnetic particle inspection can be dry or wet visible or fluorescent.

The term Magnaflux is trademarked.

Thanks guys. I will hold off on prop overhaul unless directed by the IA at annual.

Back