How long will it take to get CFII done?

Khalid Aljehani

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
KhalidAljehani
Hello, I wanted to gather information regarding me getting my CFII, currently I am holding PPL, IFR, and MEL. I wanted to see what the experienced pilots think, how long will it take for me to get my CFII done including the training and written tests. How long did it take you?

any information will help, thank you!

Instrument instructor as initial?

You can't take a CFI checkride as a PPL. You have to get a commercial first.

Written test prep for FIA and FII took me about a week each using Sheppard Air.

I also completed FOI, AGI, and IGI during same study push.

Over three years for me. I had friends afraid of flying agreeing to go up with me after I got it, figuring it would never happen.

Instrument instructor as initial?

You can't take a CFI checkride as a PPL. You have to get a commercial first.
Yes I know that, all I need left is a single engine commercial land certificate.

Any suggestions on past experiences? Any suggestions on where to began?

Any suggestions on past experiences? Any suggestions on where to began?
Starting at the beganning worked for me. And getting some fresh experiences helped to add to my past experiences

Silliness aside, you can get CFI initial done in just a few months of semi focused activities.

Longer if viral lockdowns and self procrastination occur.

The advantage of doing it this route is....?

Historically a lot less material to cover and focuses on instrument procedures.

ETA: still have to do FOI

Last edited:
So how many CFI certificates, endorsements, courses, exams are there?

I am going to start working on my commercial this winter, if I ever get through this IR shiat, and I’ve heard that doing CFI right after comm is best. Just not sure how many courses/tests there are. Cart before horse...

So how many CFI certificates, endorsements, courses, exams are there?

I am going to start working on my commercial this winter, if I ever get through this IR shiat, and I’ve heard that doing CFI right after comm is best. Just not sure how many courses/tests there are. Cart before horse...
Written exams: FAA Knowledge Testing Matrix

Practical exams: CFI-Initial, CFI-Instrument, and Multi-Engine Instructor are what most fixed wing pilots go through.

Then later, Airline Transport Pilot

Practical exams: CFI-Initial, CFI-Instrument, and Multi-Engine Instructor are what most fixed wing pilots go through.

A flight instructor's certificate with the ratings you're referring to will have the following in the ratings section:

Airplane single engine
Airplane multiengine
Instrument airplane

No such thing as "CFI-initial". Whichever one you decide to do first will be the "initial" or original certificate issuance. These days there is no real advantage checkride wise do doing them in any particular order if the ratings will be earned over a short period of time and there is no intent to go to work before earning the rest of them.

Back