How long to solo?

30 hours

first showing by us is at 7:00 tomorrow.

Maybe we should ask Princess Leia how long it took Solo? Oh wait....can't do that

Love the Star Wars films
Same here. I actually really liked Last Jedi, even though many took issue with some of the departures it took. I only found issue with one scene, but otherwise I really liked it and looking forward to the new path that lies ahead.

The whole fight scene in the throne room is one of my favorite in all of Star Wars.. up there with the Qui Gon and Darth Maul fight in Phantom Menace (yes sorry, I don't hate the prequels)

The Last Jedi was pretty good, but of course it didn't compare to the oldies. Once in awhile we all need mindless entertainment.

but of course it didn't compare to the oldies
To me it had some tones of "Empire Strikes Back". I know Force Awakens got some flack for being too much like New Hope, so I am happy to see them being brave and try new things. At the time Empire Strikes back was a big difference from New Hope, the good guys don't win, we were introduced to new characters and places, and the sequel could really go anywhere. That's how I felt with Last Jedi.. it left a lot of openings

My only gripe was what I mentioned above with the one scene with Leia and that we didn't really get to have too much Snoke back story. Palpatine / Darth Sidious was such an awesome villain with a ton of back story. For all the hate the prequels get I love that we see exactly how the Jedi fell apart and where "the mega villain" (RE: Palpatine) came from. That was missing in TFA and Last Jedi. Obviously with Snoke's deformities (like Darth Sidious) he too must have had an interesting rise in the ranks post Return of the Jedi. Incidentally that would be a cool "Star Wars Story" if they ever do a spin off (a la Solo, Rogue One, etc.)

..and because I have a dumb sense of humor
upload_2018-5-23_13-44-19.png

Que Denver rant about how Disney has ruined Star Wars :p

The Last Jedi was pretty good, but of course it didn't compare to the oldies. Once in awhile we all need mindless entertainment.

I actually didn’t care for the Last Jedi but it did get pretty good reviews.

I had hope with the new trilogy and rogue one, but I am calling it quits on the Star Wars franchise.

What intrigues me about the prequels is to see how the characters developed before they were "someone." Loved the scene in the Star Trek movie (with Chris Pine, Zoe Saldana, et al.) where we found out how Bones got his nickname (not what you're thinking, mscard!! :)). Stuff like that.

The whole fight scene in the throne room is one of my favorite in all of Star Wars.. up there with the Qui Gon and Darth Maul fight in Phantom Menace

Yep - I loved the throne room fight scene also. I always wanted to see the Imperial Guards in action, and that scene delivered. But I do wish they'd explained more of Snoke's backstory. I'm sure there will be a book about it, but I wanted to see it on screen.

Solo? When you are ready, can’t put a time on it.
Avg for glider student pilots? About 30 flights. A flight could be as short as a traffic pattern.

Either you were super duper duper duper ace, or your instructor had low standards.
Nothing against you, as perhaps you were the above mentioned ace.
My point is to cover everything that needs to be covered pre solo, which much of that has to be proven a few consecutive times, there’s just not enough time in 7 hours to do it. Even acing everything consistently that would be about the threshold.

I soloed in a bit over 14 hours.
That said, I also instructed a few that weren’t ready until about 60.

Yep - I loved the throne room fight scene also. I always wanted to see the Imperial Guards in action, and that scene delivered. But I do wish they'd explained more of Snoke's backstory. I'm sure there will be a book about it, but I wanted to see it on screen.
Totally agree. My sentiment is the same

Either you were super duper duper duper ace, or your instructor had low standards.
My point is to cover everything that needs to be covered pre solo, which much of that has to be proven a few consecutive times, there’s just not enough time in 7 hours to do it. Even acing everything consistently that would be about the threshold.

I soloed in a bit over 14 hours.
That said, I also instructed a few that weren’t ready until about 60.
I soloed after less than 5 hours of dual. True story, but not the whole story. My Dad, who is a private pilot put me in the left seat for several hours before I ever flew with a CFI so I had a head start.

As far as Star Wars goes, i'm not a big fan of what Disney has done. They threw out a lot of content when they bought it from Lucas that I would have preferred to see them keep and build upon instead of junking it and starting from scratch.

You are probably right. I actually thought it was higher but I went through my logbook and added it up a couple times, and that's indeed what it was..

Definitely wouldn't call my self a super ace, and wouldn't necessarily say my first instructor back then had low standards, but I would agree that that's low.. if I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have felt comfortable solo'ing with really anything under 15 hrs or so. A lot of CFIs I talk to have their own minimums where they won't solo anyone under X hrs (I have heard everything from 10 up to 20) regardless of how good they are, simply because you need a certain amount of experience to get there

That said, that first $2K I saved up from odd jobs to pay for those first few flight lessons I took were a dream come true, so I definitely brought the best game I knew how. Cool to see the plane I solo'd in is still flying around http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=2313M

Plus any movie that gets points back from CinemaSins is awesome. As is CinemaSins! :)

Loved the first one. Haven’t seen second yet. But I would see it over any Disney Star Wars trash.
I think I'd watch Moulin Rouge again before I'd see any new star wars movie (if you've ever seen Moulin Rouge, you'll have some idea how bad I think Star Wars movies are). I don't remember which one of the series was the last one I saw, but it was the only movie I've ever walked out mid-showing...and I sat through the movie "Gone Girl"! I truly do not understand the attraction to this trash. I think during one of the movies, I used the bathroom during the hypnotizing portion of the movie, where they repeatedly told the audience, "You will not notice just how horrible this movie is...You will not notice just how horrible this movie is..." LOL.
upload_2018-5-24_14-50-44.png

Last edited:
Que Denver rant about how Disney has ruined Star Wars :p
I pray that Lucas publishes his triple trilogy notes someday. I'd really like to see how he envisioned the entire series. But, I'm guessing, that part of the $3 billion deal included destroying those notes as soon as the check cleared.

I think I'd watch Moulin Rouge again before I'd see any new star wars movie (if you've ever seen Moulin Rouge, you'll have some idea how bad I think Star Wars movies are). I don't remember which one of the series was the last one I saw, but it was the only movie I've ever walked out mid-showing...and I sat through Gone Girl! I truly do not understand the attraction to this trash. I think during one of the movies, I used the bathroom during the hypnotizing portion of the movie, where they repeatedly told the audience, "You will not notice just how horrible this movie is...You will not notice just how horrible this movie is..." LOL.
View attachment 63371
Isn't this image from "High Anxiety"?

I lost track, and interest, after Return of the Jedi.

Back