How long is your commute to the airport to fly?

How long is your one-way commute to go flying?

• I live with my airplane or vice versa.

Votes: 8 3.1%
  • Short enough to walk, bike, golf cart.

Votes: 13 5.0%
  • Under 15 minutes drive normally one-way.

Votes: 76 29.5%
  • 15 - 30 minutes drive normally one-way.

Votes: 82 31.8%
  • 30 - 60 minutes drive normally one-way.

Votes: 64 24.8%
  • 60 - 90 minutes drive normally one-way.

Votes: 13 5.0%
  • 90 - 120 minutes drive normally one-way.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Over two hours drive normally one-way.

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
I am 17 miles from where my plane is. This is either a 30 minute drive in the winter or a 60 minute drive in the summer when all the beach goers queue up heading towards Marshfield's shoreline. Speaking of Shoreline, that's where the plane is (KGHG). Shoreline is the field's managing FBO.

When in DC, it's an hour to CJR where my hangar is.
When in NC, it's down the stairs throughout he kitchen and down the back stairs into the hangar. Don't even have to go outside (and the hangar is heated).

I wish !
65 minutes.

It used to be 15-20 minutes from the house and office.

With the recent relocation, it's now about 8 minutes from the house, and 1 minute from the office (directly across the street!).

The current airport I fly out of is about 66 miles from my home so it takes about 1 hour and 10 minutes to get there one way. The airport is in a neighboring state. Luckily it is mainly highway all the way with little to no traffic usually.

This is the furthest in distance I have to drive to an airport to take flying lessons compared with other airports I flew out of before.

Amazingly, my college is a little bit further in distance and but somewhat longer in time to drive from my home. Takes 1 hour and 24 minutes to get to my college and my college is just over 70 miles away.

When in NC, it's down the stairs throughout he kitchen and down the back stairs into the hangar. Don't even have to go outside (and the hangar is heated).

If you're looking to adopt a 30ish year old son, look me up.

35 minutes for me. I really wish it was closer. Maybe when I retire I can move closer to an ideal flying location or even better, a fly-in community.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Three minute drive, 6-minute bicycle ride, airplane parked outside the shop where I work.

Dan

60-90 minutes, depending on traffic...west side of Manhattan to FRG, Long Island.

7 mins right now
Was close to two hours when I started flying. Average throughout the private flight training was 40-50 mins

It doesn't take a lot of metal if you lay it right on the sensor wire - I wouldn't be surprised if it opened if you laid your bike lengthwise along the wire.

I've tried, couldn't get it to work. There's also a security camera over there and didn't feel like answering a bunch of questions on what I was doing.

I've tried, couldn't get it to work. There's also a security camera over there and didn't feel like answering a bunch of questions on what I was doing.

Bike is probably aluminum... I can say for sure something as small as a steel garbage can lid will activate the gate...;):wink2::idea:

Last edited:
Hmmm.

Must be the handle bars and pedals hold it too high.

A canvas bag of tools works well.

**** the security camera. Make whoever is watching earn their pay.

25 minutes, but I work in the hangar next door so many times the commute is a 5 second walk

Nice!

I have to go outside and walk 200 feet but I don't have a dog so it's a good excuse to take a walk.

Hmmm.

Must be the handle bars and pedals hold it too high.

A canvas bag of tools works well.

**** the security camera. Make whoever is watching earn their pay.

From the interwebs so it must be true. It does make sense

Buy a neodymium magnet to trip the sensor. If positioning yourself properly over the loop doesn't work, a heavy-duty magnet should do the trick. Neodymium magnets are rare earth magnets, formed from an alloy of neodymium, iron and boron. They're currently the strongest type of magnet available, and (yippee!) they can be purchased online. Protect the magnet with a pill case or a set of washers, and then tape the magnet to the bottom of your car or vehicle.

Mine is around 7 mins with no traffic. I'm only about 3 miles from the airport. But the people around here drive at 25MPH or less. :mad2:

If I take a backwoods logging road I can shave about 3 mins off but my car will be clay red....

My home is halfway between the runway and my hangar (about 150 feet either way).

My brother has a big house, with pool, 3-car garage, home theater, etc. Whenever he starts to brag, I say ". . .and _I_ live at an AIRPORT!"

Depends. It takes me 15 minutes to get to my plane. If I want to fly the helo it is longer because I first drive to the airport where my plane is at and then fly it to the airport the helo is at. 30 minutes by air. Haven't drove to the airport with the helo.

It's a solid 30 minute drive from either work or home.

For those that voted "I live with my airplane or vice versa," Please elaborate. :)

David

For those that voted "I live with my airplane or vice versa," Please elaborate. :)
Living an aviation lifestyle at an airpark.

For me it means that my car is almost 20 years old (my wife's car is a bit newer) but my current plane is 2 yo. I can't remember the last time I drove over 100 miles.

Living an aviation lifestyle at an airpark.

For me it means that my car is almost 20 years old (my wife's car is a bit newer) but my current plane is 2 yo. I can't remember the last time I drove over 100 miles.

Wow. I wish I could do that! At least some one lives the dream!

David

David

I live in Pine Shadows Airpark in SW Florida, 94FL. My hangar is 35' from the front door. I have been in the airpark since 1998, and can't imagine living anywhere else. The biggest surprise was the sense of community here. Since nearly everyone in this 74 lot community is into aviation we all have a major interest in common. That has led to a general basis for communication and friendships and mutual aid. As it turns out the flying is the second most important part about living here.

I have a 40' coach-conversion RV, built when I was traveling extensively with my job. When the contract expired, I found a hangar for my plane (and stuff), and the airport manager offered a good price for a place to park my coach, so that there would be someone around the field most of the time.

Once word got around the local neighborhood that someone was out here, we stopped getting the guys who thought our runway was their dragstrip, and we started getting a lot more kids and other folks coming out to look at airplanes and ask about flying.

After years of being 25 miles from the airport .. it's very nice to be in Florida and just a few blocks from the hangar.

RT
09FL

I live 36-37 minutes away from 3 different airports... imagine that! Two with towers and one without.

Back