How long is your commute to the airport to fly?

How long is your one-way commute to go flying?

• I live with my airplane or vice versa.

Votes: 8 3.1%
  • Short enough to walk, bike, golf cart.

Votes: 13 5.0%
  • Under 15 minutes drive normally one-way.

Votes: 76 29.5%
  • 15 - 30 minutes drive normally one-way.

Votes: 82 31.8%
  • 30 - 60 minutes drive normally one-way.

Votes: 64 24.8%
  • 60 - 90 minutes drive normally one-way.

Votes: 13 5.0%
  • 90 - 120 minutes drive normally one-way.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Over two hours drive normally one-way.

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
Curious how the spread of commute time runs among the group here. I mean the commute from your home to your home airport. One way.

Right now I drive about 20 minutes to fly the club planes and 40 minutes to where the Luscombe and my Arrow are.

27 miles 40-45 minutes

Curious how the spread of commute time runs among the group here. I mean the commute from your home to your home airport. One way.

1 mile as the crow flies. 2 miles by ground transportation.

15 minutes. Seems like forever having grown up on an airport. :D

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift

Former tie down at KILG Wilmington, DE 14 miles @22 minutes
Hangar at N57 Toughkenamon, PA 18 miles @28 minutes

Nothing beats a pre-flight inspection IN the hangar, during the winter months!

2-3 minutes. 5-10 if I ride my bike.

30 minutes from home, but only about 4 minutes from work, which makes it really convenient to take a quick flight before or after work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

40 mins from home. <2 mins from office. Makes for great lunch breaks

When in DC, it's an hour to CJR where my hangar is.
When in NC, it's down the stairs throughout he kitchen and down the back stairs into the hangar. Don't even have to go outside (and the hangar is heated).

Less than 10 minutes to drive, could likely bike it it 15.

About 20 minutes now from the house, more like 30 from work. It was 15 back in PA, and also on my way to work so it was easy to stop by when I needed to. I liked that situation.

But the hangars and fuel are cheap.

About 12 minutes for me. Much better than the hour and 15 minutes it used to be, or the 30 minutes it was before that.

In between choices 2 and 3. 2.8 miles. I've walked it and biked it, but the &^$# security gates only have card readers on the outside, so I get "trapped" on the field if I don't have a car to trigger the ground sensor to open the gate. There used to be a walk-through gate, no more after recent redevelopment on the field.

In between choices 2 and 3. 2.8 miles. I've walked it and biked it, but the &^$# security gates only have card readers on the outside, so I get "trapped" on the field if I don't have a car to trigger the ground sensor to open the gate. There used to be a walk-through gate, no more after recent redevelopment on the field.
It doesn't take a lot of metal if you lay it right on the sensor wire - I wouldn't be surprised if it opened if you laid your bike lengthwise along the wire.

20-25 minutes light traffic. Who knows how long with 530pm traffic. The only closer airport would be KPHX which is about 10.

My field has angle iron chocks. If you use enough of them it will set off the free release switch.

Jim

3-4 minutes easy. Almost takes longer to walk out to the plane once at the airport than to drive there.

Back