How long is a clearance good for?

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
If you pick up a clearance but do not get a clearance void time, how long is it good for?
I have received a clearance from ground (at towered field) but had to delay my departure (30 minutes to 1 hour) due to WX. I understand ATC occasionally will issue clearances upon landing for subsequent flights the same day made by aircraft transiting a field.
So, for towered or untowered fields, assuming no void time is received how long before departure may one get a clearance and it still be valid?

Check the A/FD for special instructions regarding that. For example, KSTL requires you pick up you clearance "no more than 10 minutes prior to taxi time."

If you pick up a clearance but do not get a clearance void time, how long is it good for?
I have received a clearance from ground (at towered field) but had to delay my departure (30 minutes to 1 hour) due to WX. I understand ATC occasionally will issue clearances upon landing for subsequent flights the same day made by aircraft transiting a field.
So, for towered or untowered fields, assuming no void time is received how long before departure may one get a clearance and it still be valid?

You don't normally receive a void time when obtaining a clearance at a controlled field. They aren't needed because you can't depart without a takeoff clearance anyway. I was a controller at a towered field, I would issue a void time if the airplane might not depart before the scheduled tower closing time.

At untowered fields clearances delivered without a void time are valid indefinitely.

Usually two hours. But you can give ground or clearance a call and extend it.

Two hours is the normal lifetime of a flight plan in the Flight Data Processing computer. Two hours from the proposed departure time, but that's not the lifetime of a delivered clearance.

Probably depends on when the tower controller decides why there's been a strip in the rack for an hour and decides to pitch it.

Probably depends on when the tower controller decides why there's been a strip in the rack for an hour and decides to pitch it.
By the OP's question the clearance has already been issued, the question was how long does the already issued clearance remain valid without a void time?

Does ATC ever issue a clearance at an uncontrolled field without a void time?

If it hasn't been issued and is no longer in the computer, that's fine.

Does ATC ever issue a clearance at an uncontrolled field without a void time?

Sure, I've done it many times. When an aircraft calls for clearance on the radio and says they'll be off in about a minute issuing a void time doesn't serve any useful purpose.

If it hasn't been issued and is no longer in the computer, that's fine.

I was referring to after the CD guy reads it to the pilot and leaves it for the ground controller to pick up when he calls for taxi.

Sure, I've done it many times. When an aircraft calls for clearance on the radio and says they'll be off in about a minute issuing a void time doesn't serve any useful purpose.

What happens if 5 minutes go by, and you don't have him on the scope?

What happens if 5 minutes go by, and you don't have him on the scope?

I give him a call. If he doesn't answer I get on the phone just as I would with an arrival that failed to cancel.

We have the pilot call us when they are ready to depart, then issue a 3-5 minute void time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I give him a call. If he doesn't answer I get on the phone just as I would with an arrival that failed to cancel.

Just wondering. I've done the "I'm ready to go in 2 minutes," and I still have gotten a void time.

There are two types of facilities I've run into with regard to non-towered airports. Some will give you your clearance and "call back for release" others will insist on giving you a void time even if you're not yet ready.

I tend to prefer the former.

Just wondering. I've done the "I'm ready to go in 2 minutes," and I still have gotten a void time.
I've even received my clearance while sitting at the hold line ("ready for immediate takeoff") directly from "my" Center controller on the same frequency I'll be talking to him on as soon as I take off and gotten a void time.

There are two types of facilities I've run into with regard to non-towered airports. Some will give you your clearance and "call back for release" others will insist on giving you a void time even if you're not yet ready.

I tend to prefer the former.
Even (especially?) in the days of getting clearances over pay phones, I don't think I've ever called for a clearance for a non-towered airport until I was ready to receive it along with a void time.

Reasons why you would do the former?

That's why you ask the pilot when they'll be ready for departure. Then issue a void time a couple minutes (fudge factor) after the time they give you. Then give a contact approach time 30 minutes after the void time so if you don't hear from them you start the SAR process.

I've even received my clearance while sitting at the hold line ("ready for immediate takeoff") directly from "my" Center controller on the same frequency I'll be talking to him on as soon as I take off and gotten a void time.

Each facility is different, so you may notice different techniques depending where you fly. At my two facilities, void times were an insurance policy, just in case the aircraft aborts or something unexpected happens. If you're ready to go, it isn't an issue, and it won't bog down the airport for over an hour while the local LEO goes looking for your plane.

Each facility is different, so you may notice different techniques depending where you fly. At my two facilities, void times were an insurance policy, just in case the aircraft aborts or something unexpected happens. If you're ready to go, it isn't an issue, and it won't bog down the airport for over an hour while the local LEO goes looking for your plane.

I think that's the case or perhaps even just a difference between individual controllers whatever they're comfortable with? In my experience when you call to pick up an IFR clearance at an uncontrolled airport you'll usually be asked "how soon can you depart" before the clearance is issued. Sometimes you'll get a void time, sometimes you won't. Often the controller will reply with something like "....readback is correct report departure". I suspect if you told him you'd be off in 5 minutes and then didn't check in airborne 'til half an hour later that he'd make a note of your "N" number and wouldn't be so friendly next time you called to pick up a clearance? How 'bout it McNicoll, do controllers keep @#$% lists? .......like those lists you see by the cash register in convenience stores of people to refuse to take checks from?

Even (especially?) in the days of getting clearances over pay phones, I don't think I've ever called for a clearance for a non-towered airport until I was ready to receive it along with a void time.

Reasons why you would do the former?
So you can set it up on your FMS in advance. :D

So you can set it up on your FMS in advance. :D
Nah. I get expected clearances from FltPlan.com or ForeFlight depending on which I file with. I think even one of the DUAT providers sends text messages if there's a change from what was filed.

Time marches on...
alarm-clock-smiley-emoticon-emoji.gif

Nah. I get expected clearances from FltPlan.com or ForeFlight depending on which I file with. I think even one of the DUAT providers sends text messages if there's a change from what was filed.

Time marches on...
alarm-clock-smiley-emoticon-emoji.gif
That is true. I thought about it after I typed my answer. :)

I've noticed that a lot in the past 24 years and always try to keep that in mind, Mark.

Exactly. We always get questions about ATC practices on POA but in reality they vary from facility to facility. You have the 7110.65 but there are plenty facility memos, LOAs, waivers, SOPs and controller technique. No facility is the same.

Back