How long did you wait: PPL to IR?

Just got my ticket. I plan on enjoying it for a while but was curious: how long did you wait after getter your PPL until you started instrument training? Any regrets in how you did it, or other advice? Thanks!

I flew about 15 months and 300+ hours before embarking on my IR.

Ditto, except that even after that it took me 7.5 years due to work, lack of a training airplane and CFII problems. In fact it was nearly 3 years after I bought my own plane that I went for the checkride.

My advice is if you want the IR and can do it now, don't put it off. You never know when life will intervene and you won't have enough time to train. (Of course then you have to worry about staying current, which also means having time to invest.)

:yeahthat:
Which is what's holding me back for so long. Working around the clock (sometimes 7 days in a row, including weekends), and family life, leaves very little time to consider IFR training (something I really, really want to do):mad2:.

Oh well, I'll keep hope alive, I'm only 47... maybe I'll get it done before I retire...or after:).

Got my PPL in '99, had to stop flying by early '01 due to finances. Started flying again in 2011.

Last edited:
I started my IR not even a month after my ASEL ride (12/2012). Started in 1/2013, passed the ride in 6/2013.

I'm glad I got the IR. It made an astronomical difference in my flying overall, even though my landings suffered as a result. The options that it provides are very useful.

The only regret is that I wish I had started with a CFII who emphasized flying over procedures to begin with. Lack of basic aircraft control ability under instruments and lack of an effective scan really messed me up. Once I got that under control, things became much easier.

Just passed my IR checkride last week. I started at about 150 hours and just passed 215 hours. I waited until I bought and got familiar with my own plane. Particularly because it was 300hp and my PPL was done in a 160hp 172. I flew 50 hours with the PPL with a lot of XC's to get familiar with the plane, the power settings, the instruments, particularly the GPS systems. That made the time with the CFII more efficient. So efficient, I completed all my training without hitting the 40 hours of requisite hood time. So I had to take a few more practice flights before I met all the qualifications. I highly recommend doing the rating training in the plane you plan to use for your flying with the rating. It was fun and rewarding. Go for it!!!!

Probably about a year. I had my multi commercial before I had my IR. I waited so I could write off my IR, however I got such a deal on it it wouldn't have mattered as I only paid about $1300 all in for 40hrs + tests.

Last edited:
3.5 years from PP to IR checkrides, wasn't really waiting - owned a VFR airplane, so even if I had an IR I wouldn't be able to use it and keep current. Got weathered in once or twice (more, really) but I'd like to think that I also got some good VFR XC experience along the way :)

12 years. Didn't really think about IR, probably because I didn't know it existed, didn't have any idea what a localizer was when I started IR training, and pretty sure I'd never seen an L chart until then.
Oil embargoes in the early 70's threatened my ability to earn $100k/yr for the first time and I couldn't let that happen, so slid over to the Juco to sign up for hoodie lessons.

I've been flying VFR ony now for almost 2 years and don't really plan on starting anytime soon. I love going on an xc in fantastic weather and as of now, just don't need the rating. I have about 75 total XC hours now total.

I could see when I hopefully can buy a plane one day starting then because I would be more likely to need it when traveling. Right now though- I see low clouds, I call and reschedule.

Probably about a year. I had my multi commercial before I had my IR. I waited so I could write off my IR, however I got such a deal on it it wouldn't have mattered as I only paid about $1300 all in for 40hrs + tests.

Was this before or after they invented dirt?:rofl:

i waited a year because i passed my ppl checkride then went off to college. didnt fly for a year then came back home from college and transferred to a school back near my hometown. started it the summer before starting my new school

4 years and 400 hours. Should have done it sooner. The IR will make you safer, especially in MVFR. I discovered that it's hard to fly out of central NY without an IR.

Just got my ticket. I plan on enjoying it for a while but was curious: how long did you wait after getter your PPL until you started instrument training? Any regrets in how you did it, or other advice? Thanks!

PPL 36 years ago. No IFR, no regrets

Several years after my PPL before I started on the IR. One day my wife commented that we had skipped one too many flights across the state that would have been possible with the IR, so perhaps I should go for it. Still took a few years after that for a variety of reasons, but it sure felt good when I passed that ride in September 2011. I've only "needed" it once since getting it, but it was well worth while that day.

PP-ASEL ride in April 2001, IR ride in September 2011, so just over 10 years between the two rides.

Back