how is this ok?

IFR aircraft are required to see and avoid whenever are is visual conditions just like the VFR traffic. Their radar service and traffic advisories end as they begin the approach to an uncontrolled airport because the enter uncontrolled airspace below 700 ft AGL.

Practice or actual IFR arrivals are typically aligned with the final leg of the traffic pattern to a runway beginning the approach and will make a radio call 4-7 miles out. When this is occurring, it requires extra vigilance by all the pilots using the airport..................................................................

It's not quite like that. There are many Class E Surface Areas. Controlled airspace goes to the Surface. Radar Service may have been terminated a long time before even getting the Approach Clearance. There is a lot of sky that has no Radar Coverage. What's at issue here is not 'termination of Radar Service.' It's the Controller releasing the plane to Advisory Frequency in a timely manner. There is usually not a reason for them to hold on to you up to the FAF unless you are not in Radar Contact and they need the FAF report from you. Here's the controllers rules on that:

4−8−8. COMMUNICATIONS RELEASE
If an IFR aircraft intends to land at an airport not
served by a tower or FSS, approve a change to the
advisory service frequency when you no longer
require direct communications.
PHRASEOLOGY−
CHANGE TO ADVISORY FREQUENCY APPROVED.
NOTE−
An expeditious frequency change permits the aircraft to
receive timely local airport traffic information in
accordance with AC 90−42, Traffic Advisory Practices at
Airports Without Operating Control Towers.

Controllers ain't always very good about this. Sometimes ya gottta 'prod' them. Don't hesitate to do that.

It's not quite like that. There are many Class E Surface Areas. Controlled airspace goes to the Surface. Radar Service may have been terminated a long time before even getting the Approach Clearance. There is a lot of sky that has no Radar Coverage. What's at issue here is not 'termination of Radar Service.' It's the Controller releasing the plane to Advisory Frequency in a timely manner. There is usually not a reason for them to hold on to you up to the FAF unless you are not in Radar Contact and they need the FAF report from you. Here's the controllers rules on that:

4−8−8. COMMUNICATIONS RELEASE
If an IFR aircraft intends to land at an airport not
served by a tower or FSS, approve a change to the
advisory service frequency when you no longer
require direct communications.
PHRASEOLOGY−
CHANGE TO ADVISORY FREQUENCY APPROVED.
NOTE−
An expeditious frequency change permits the aircraft to
receive timely local airport traffic information in
accordance with AC 90−42, Traffic Advisory Practices at
Airports Without Operating Control Towers.

Controllers ain't always very good about this. Sometimes ya gottta 'prod' them. Don't hesitate to do that.

In VMC on a praciice approach, ATC would have not reason to connunicate anything in side the IAF and there are very few airports in Class E. Including the Class Ds that are E when the tower is closed there probably less than 30 airports with sirfacd Class E areas out more than 350 airports in Ohio, Michigan and Indiana.

Last edited:
I am glad that helped. Very happy to assist.

Thanks also from me too! I was getting there, but your description and points, as well as Clip4 (thanks to you too...and right, I don't want to be involved and would remove myself from it at this point).

Since we are here, if I'm in the pattern, whether cross, or downwind, say, and I leave the pattern, how does one DO it (direction, altitude?) and how does one announce it?

I was surprised that the IFR pilot would announce "low approach", this is also new to me.

waiting for someone to change their screen name to "mr no problem jackwagon"

Back