How Federal Restrictions Force Pilots To Hide Mental Illness

So much of this is getting blurred together.

IMHO
1) If you're fine now mentally, and you're not any more likely to have a problem than the average pilot now, go fly. Doesn't matter if you had ADHD 20 years ago, or at sometime in your life to took XYZ drugs / or two together. Or heck, even if you take XYZ now and it works and you're fine. I just don't understand why "have you ever" is relevant.

2) If you have a mental or physical condition that makes you not able to fly, or a have a substantial likelihood of having an issue while flying, then don't fly. Susceptible to panic attacks, epilepsy, etc.

So much of this is getting blurred together.

IMHO
1) If you're fine now mentally, and you're not any more likely to have a problem than the average pilot now, go fly. Doesn't matter if you had ADHD 20 years ago, or at sometime in your life to took XYZ drugs / or two together. Or heck, even if you take XYZ now and it works and you're fine. I just don't understand why "have you ever" is relevant.

2) If you have a mental or physical condition that makes you not able to fly, or a have a substantial likelihood of having an issue while flying, then don't fly. Susceptible to panic attacks, epilepsy, etc.

But how can you as the pilot necessarily know that? Can you trust people to self diagnose their mental state? I know if I have a compound fracture of my arm but how do I know if i am bipolar?

IMHO
This is the FAA's perspective as well. But the burden is on you to show that you're fine.

But how can you as the pilot necessarily know that? Can you trust people to self diagnose their mental state? I know if I have a compound fracture of my arm but how do I know if i am bipolar?

You don't know if you're about to have a heart attack or a stroke?

You don't know if you're about to have a heart attack or a stroke?
That's why the history and exam also look for risk factors, including prior conditions and diagnoses. But the fact that some conditions occur suddenly without warning wouldn't justify ignoring warning signs of other conditions.

I suspect that I suffer from some form of depression. I self-treat by doing things that make me happy and flying is at or near the top of that list.

It's not currently worth it to me to give up flight for something that might help so I won't set foot in a psychiatrists office.

Some of you say there are some people who really shouldn't be flying(especially commercially) and I agree with that. However, I think most people are well aware of their own abilities and limitations without a government bureaucracy getting involved. Look at the history of sport and basic med pilots for that. When you really think about it there are a myriad of medical issues that someone shouldn't fly with which this system doesn't catch. At some point you've just got to trust that most people will have enough of a sense of self-preservation to make good choices.

I would feel completely comfortable flying if they completely dropped the requirement for class 3 medicals, I've never seen any evidence that it's making anyone safer just burdening us.

I suspect that I suffer from some form of depression. I self-treat by doing things that make me happy and flying is at or near the top of that list.

It's not currently worth it to me to give up flight for something that might help so I won't set foot in a psychiatrists office.

Some of you say there are some people who really shouldn't be flying(especially commercially) and I agree with that. However, I think most people are well aware of their own abilities and limitations without a government bureaucracy getting involved. Look at the history of sport and basic med pilots for that. When you really think about it there are a myriad of medical issues that someone shouldn't fly with which this system doesn't catch. At some point you've just got to trust that most people will have enough of a sense of self-preservation to make good choices.

I would feel completely comfortable flying if they completely dropped the requirement for class 3 medicals, I've never seen any evidence that it's making anyone safer just burdening us.

I don't think "self-treat by doing things that make me happy" helps the type of depression people are talking about here. People I know who have needed treatment for depression say nothing makes them happy when they are depressed.

Signed,

Some Guy on the Internet.

I don't think "self-treat by doing things that make me happy" helps the type of depression people are talking about here. People I know who have needed treatment for depression say nothing makes them happy when they are depressed.

Signed,

Some Guy on the Internet.

I started taking an anti-depressant earlier this year. Although I had suspected (but never diagnosed) that I experienced depression my entire life, it had progressed to being much more significant (and classified as "moderate" major depressive disorder when I started medication). By that point I was waking up miserable every morning first thing, had to drag myself out of bed, constantly miserable throughout the day, and nothing made it better. Sleep was terrible. I could spend 10+ hours in bed, wake up late, and still felt exhausted. Since starting on medication, things are much improved (more on that in a bit). However I've also come to learn a lot of things about mental health, what depression really is, and how to handle it.

The first thing to realize is that depression isn't usually an on-off switch per se. Truly clinical depression can be thought of as a lack of joy, caused by a lack of seratonin. Some people have it, some people don't. It appears that I have it, and in thinking upon family history since starting on medication earlier this, I can see other relatives who we'd written off as "That's just how they are" but I now realize probably had it too. But between social stigma, family stigma, and the fact that medications just didn't exist in those days, it wasn't something to treat. So figure that if you have this deficiency, you have some inherent level of depression/sadness to start with.

For some people, that by itself is just too much of a negative mental state, and by itself leaves people depressed and needing medication. Some people just can't live with that level they have. But most people are able to to some degree, they just may seem unhappy, easily irritable, etc. It may or may not be easily observable to the outside world. Of my friends who I told about my depression once diagnosed, most had no idea, even close friends who'd known me for years.

Then you have unhappiness, when things go badly or good things fail to occur. This happens to everyone in life, we all know life has good days and bad. However this is additive to the depressive state. Troubles at home with your spouse, troubles at work with your job, troubles with your parents. If you have these, these add a level to your overall negative mental state.

And then you have other things that impact your mental state, like diet and exercise. If you're eating poorly, you fail to exercise, your body is unhappy, you have unchecked blood sugar (which can cause/contribute to mood swings). That adds up too. Alcohol is a depressant and while the dopamine makes you feel good in the short term, it then depresses you further.

For me, I'd lived my entire life knowing/suspecting a level of depression. Then some persistent issues at home and dissatisfaction with work drug me down further, and I was never doing fun things for myself. And then I wasn't eating particularly well, and definitely wasn't exercising. Although in my adult life I'd typically had some alcohol with dinner most nights, those most nights turned into every night, and the glasses of alcohol got bigger and refilled more, even though I was never drinking at work, never operated a car or an aircraft under the influence, etc. But this all creates a circle - you don't want to exercise or do fun things if you're feeling depressed. The alcohol as a depressant makes you feel worse, but drinking makes you feel better because of the dopamine it produces. And down a mental state continues to go.

If the things I listed above hadn't happened (one might've been enough, but probably multiples), I would probably have been able to continue managing things as I had for my life previously. Not that it was perfect (it wasn't) but it was manageable and didn't impact my life significantly, including my flying.

All that to say, based on my experience, the OP's idea of "doing things that make him happy" is important and a good thing. I would also suggest staying ahead of things like making sure diet and exercise are good, look at blood sugar, look at areas of stress and work to improve those. And so then if there is an underlying depression level, that may still be manageable.

That said, and I still think anti-depressants are over-prescribed on the whole even as someone who takes them myself, for me the medication made a big difference. I am hoping to not have a need to continue to be on it perpetually. But what it did for me was get out of the state of constant despair I found myself in, and then let me start to make other important changes to bring my state back up. Alcohol? Gone, 100%. Diet? Improved substantially. Exercise? Daily. Time for me? Still not as much as I should be doing, but yes, and I'm unapologetic about it.

Job/home life discontent? Working on those. If I want another medical I have to go down the SI path, but BasicMed or less is fine for me going forward.

Signed,

Some other guy on the internet who's BTDT and bought the t-shirt

I started taking an anti-depressant earlier this year. Although I had suspected (but never diagnosed) that I experienced depression my entire life, it had progressed to being much more significant (and classified as "moderate" major depressive disorder when I started medication). By that point I was waking up miserable every morning first thing, had to drag myself out of bed, constantly miserable throughout the day, and nothing made it better. Sleep was terrible. I could spend 10+ hours in bed, wake up late, and still felt exhausted. Since starting on medication, things are much improved (more on that in a bit). However I've also come to learn a lot of things about mental health, what depression really is, and how to handle it.

The first thing to realize is that depression isn't usually an on-off switch per se. Truly clinical depression can be thought of as a lack of joy, caused by a lack of seratonin. Some people have it, some people don't. It appears that I have it, and in thinking upon family history since starting on medication earlier this, I can see other relatives who we'd written off as "That's just how they are" but I now realize probably had it too. But between social stigma, family stigma, and the fact that medications just didn't exist in those days, it wasn't something to treat. So figure that if you have this deficiency, you have some inherent level of depression/sadness to start with.

For some people, that by itself is just too much of a negative mental state, and by itself leaves people depressed and needing medication. Some people just can't live with that level they have. But most people are able to to some degree, they just may seem unhappy, easily irritable, etc. It may or may not be easily observable to the outside world. Of my friends who I told about my depression once diagnosed, most had no idea, even close friends who'd known me for years.

Then you have unhappiness, when things go badly or good things fail to occur. This happens to everyone in life, we all know life has good days and bad. However this is additive to the depressive state. Troubles at home with your spouse, troubles at work with your job, troubles with your parents. If you have these, these add a level to your overall negative mental state.

And then you have other things that impact your mental state, like diet and exercise. If you're eating poorly, you fail to exercise, your body is unhappy, you have unchecked blood sugar (which can cause/contribute to mood swings). That adds up too. Alcohol is a depressant and while the dopamine makes you feel good in the short term, it then depresses you further.

For me, I'd lived my entire life knowing/suspecting a level of depression. Then some persistent issues at home and dissatisfaction with work drug me down further, and I was never doing fun things for myself. And then I wasn't eating particularly well, and definitely wasn't exercising. Although in my adult life I'd typically had some alcohol with dinner most nights, those most nights turned into every night, and the glasses of alcohol got bigger and refilled more, even though I was never drinking at work, never operated a car or an aircraft under the influence, etc. But this all creates a circle - you don't want to exercise or do fun things if you're feeling depressed. The alcohol as a depressant makes you feel worse, but drinking makes you feel better because of the dopamine it produces. And down a mental state continues to go.

If the things I listed above hadn't happened (one might've been enough, but probably multiples), I would probably have been able to continue managing things as I had for my life previously. Not that it was perfect (it wasn't) but it was manageable and didn't impact my life significantly, including my flying.

All that to say, based on my experience, the OP's idea of "doing things that make him happy" is important and a good thing. I would also suggest staying ahead of things like making sure diet and exercise are good, look at blood sugar, look at areas of stress and work to improve those. And so then if there is an underlying depression level, that may still be manageable.

That said, and I still think anti-depressants are over-prescribed on the whole even as someone who takes them myself, for me the medication made a big difference. I am hoping to not have a need to continue to be on it perpetually. But what it did for me was get out of the state of constant despair I found myself in, and then let me start to make other important changes to bring my state back up. Alcohol? Gone, 100%. Diet? Improved substantially. Exercise? Daily. Time for me? Still not as much as I should be doing, but yes, and I'm unapologetic about it.

Job/home life discontent? Working on those. If I want another medical I have to go down the SI path, but BasicMed or less is fine for me going forward.

Signed,

Some other guy on the internet who's BTDT and bought the t-shirt

What a great write up. I signed this "some guy on the internet" because I only have experience of this through others. A close friend told me a little while ago that he had to seek out help, he was just miserable all the time with no particular reason to be that way. He got help, was diagnosed, and was greatly helped with the drugs. Everyone, including me, feels crappy at one time or another, I can't imagine feeling like that all the time. Thanks for sharing, glad you got help.

Basic Med covers that - the doctor diagnoses, not the pilot. I've not seen data that Basic Med pilots are more dangerous than 3rd class folks, so I'll say that it works. Heck, even LSA pilots flying on a drivers' license don't seem to be causing any problems.

So we haven't seen any significant problem with sport pilots right? And have there been any significant number of problems with pilots on basic med? I know basic med is fairly new but if that trend continues it brings into doubt whether this whole convoluted medical process is making us safer.

If it's not making us safer it should go. If the personal expense and difficulty to pilots isn't a good enough reason then consider that it's a waste of resources on the FAA end too. Maybe that funding could go to something that does make us safer.

What a great write up. I signed this "some guy on the internet" because I only have experience of this through others. A close friend told me a little while ago that he had to seek out help, he was just miserable all the time with no particular reason to be that way. He got help, was diagnosed, and was greatly helped with the drugs. Everyone, including me, feels crappy at one time or another, I can't imagine feeling like that all the time. Thanks for sharing, glad you got help.

Thanks, I'd click "like" if I could do so anonymously. :)

I think the thing that also is challenging for some to figure out if there is depression vs. just some general unhappiness (and part of what made it harder for me) is that sometimes you have some legitimate underlying items that seem like legitimate reasons to be unhappy. And while those are impacting you the way they are, like I said, those are additive to depression, at least for me.

You're right - everyone feels miserable at some point in life, that's just part of how life goes. But, it gets better. When it doesn't, that's a good sign something extra is needed.

Thanks, I'd click "like" if I could do so anonymously. :)

I think the thing that also is challenging for some to figure out if there is depression vs. just some general unhappiness (and part of what made it harder for me) is that sometimes you have some legitimate underlying items that seem like legitimate reasons to be unhappy. And while those are impacting you the way they are, like I said, those are additive to depression, at least for me.

You're right - everyone feels miserable at some point in life, that's just part of how life goes. But, it gets better. When it doesn't, that's a good sign something extra is needed.

Really appreciate your write up and it is spot on. Not many people truly appreciate how the depression vs. general unhappiness spectrum gets exacerbated by alcohol. As you wrote, general unhappiness can quickly turn into depression once booze enters the equation. In certain parts of the country that have a culture of heavy drinking, you almost don't stand a fighting chance unless you get a change of scenery for a few years to figure things out. Have had family who had to do just that, and when they moved back home you could tell they were in so much of a better spot mentally and physically.

You should be very proud, not a lot of people have the courage to be honest with themselves.

Really appreciate your write up and it is spot on. Not many people truly appreciate how the depression vs. general unhappiness spectrum gets exacerbated by alcohol. As you wrote, general unhappiness can quickly turn into depression once booze enters the equation. In certain parts of the country that have a culture of heavy drinking, you almost don't stand a fighting chance unless you get a change of scenery for a few years to figure things out. Have had family who had to do just that, and when they moved back home you could tell they were in so much of a better spot mentally and physically.

You should be very proud, not a lot of people have the courage to be honest with themselves.

I appreciate it, and I'm glad that you (and others) and finding my posts so helpful. But to be clear, the alcohol definitely made things worse, but there was more than just unhappiness for me. Let's say that a score of "10" (round number) for negative mental state gets you to a point where your depression/unhappiness/bad feelings is bad enough you can't get through life anymore. As I've found, there are multiple factors, and they're additive (not to mention circular and impact eachother). Let's look at it like this:

- Every day clinical (lack of seratonin). This more or less won't change without medication and is your "genetic predisposition" so to speak
- Unhappiness (bad things happening, good things failing to happen). Someone dies, you don't get that raise, fights at home, unpleasant confrontations
- Alcohol
- Poor eating and/or lack of exercise

I'm oversimplifying, but let's go with those 4 categories to start. Let's assume that all four of those scored a 3 for me (and let's say max score for each of 5), so I was a 12. The medication helped me to remove the every day clinical depression, getting me down to a 9. The meds also completely removed my desire for alcohol, that gets me down to a 6. By improving eating choices and exercise, let's say that I'm getting myself down to a 1 for that category, so that gets me to a 4. And then let's say that unhappiness has gone from a 3 to a 2, so now then I'm a 3 overall. So basically:

Before:

3+3+3+3 = 12

Now:

0+0+1+2 = 3

Now let's take someone who doesn't have genetic-based clinical depression, but has a 4 for alcohol (being in a culture with heavy drinking, as you mentioned), let's say doesn't have any issues like diabetes/blood sugar issues but is overweight and doesn't exercise, and that person has a 3 there, so resting level is a 7. Then unhappiness starts at a 1 (so a level of 8), and some bad things happen that puts unhappiness to a 5 (bringing him to a 12).

Then that person removes alcohol, gets them back down to 8. Does better exercise, gets down to a 6 (so gets that exercise value down from a 3 to a 1). Then unhappiness gets attacked, and maybe they make those better life choices.

So, before:

0+4+3+5 = 12

After:

0+0+1+5 = 6, with that 6 reducing as unhappiness gets improved.

To make another interesting point regarding the meds and alcohol - I think that was part of what proved (to me anyway) that I have an inherent serotonin deficiency. Literally the day after starting medication, I had no desire for alcohol at all. Stopped cold turkey. And worth noting that for some people, if their drinking is at a high enough level (mine wasn't) you should wean off as otherwise some people can be hospitalized or die from alcohol withdrawal.

I have noticed that each time I'm presented with a social situation where I would have had something to drink there's a little bit of the peer pressure aspect to deal with, but it's very minor and after that first experience it's not problem. There's still no desire, it's just changing a habit now. At this point I think I've been confronted with every social situation where that was something that would be considered.

Maybe I should put together some more significant article on this if it's helping people to understand. I know I certainly didn't get it, even living with this myself, until fairly recently, but it's a complex phenomenon.

Airline pilots they should be grounded if they have a panic attacks. Private pilots I don't think the FAA should even have medicals like Light Sport a Drivers License all one should need. My wife had her first panic attack while we were driving down a 6% grade mountain highway everyone was going 80 mph. It turned out okay but it was frightening I was able to get her to just let off the gas peddle and I steered it from the passenger side until we got slow enough to pull over.

I bet they were all male. Men still have the burden of being the main provider for their family. The older you get the harder it is to pivot and change career, especially if you have a mortgage and kids to support, or are in the financial red zone prior to retirement, scrambling to build enough portfolio to get through old age. I really understand their dilemma, but people can greatly underestimate the danger of seemingly minor symptoms. Indigestion that turns out to be cancer, chest discomfort that turns out to be heart disease.

Ironically the more locked into a career path you get with time, the higher the odds of coming down with a career - or life - ending condition. :(

I've seen the same, and you're 100% right. I'm willing to be that many are not really underestimating the danger, they're prioritizing the financial security of their families over their own health...and kidding themselves about it along the way. I've had the discussion - "Hey Joe, you know that's just a likely to be..." and the response, quietly, is "yeah, I know." They know they're insured. If they knew, though, most families would rather have taken a severe cut in income rather than losing their provider.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back