How do you mount your tablet?

Jim_R

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
I currently use an iFly 720 in the cockpit, which mounts nicely on a RAM arm on the yoke. Just picked up a Nexus 7 (2013) and expect to eventually use it in the cockpit, too. Looks like RAM has options for it, too.

For those using thin tablets in the 5x8" size range...how do you mount them? Do the RAM mounts work well?

Last edited:
A RAM mount with a cradle for my iPad. Even though the cradle was for the iPad2 I'm glad to report it works fine for the iPad Air with a little padding.

However, in order to put the iPad where I wanted it, I designed and built a fiberglass center console/arm rest/Oxygen tank thingy to bolt the RAM mount to. Lots of work but works great!

I currently use an iFly 720 in the cockpit, which mounts nicely on a RAM arm on the yoke. Just picked up a Nexus 7 (2013) and expect to eventually use it in the cockpit, too. Looks like RAM has options for it, too.

For those using thin tablets in the 5x8" size range...how do you mount them? Do the RAM mounts work well?

I mount mine in my wife's hands or the right seat.

I got a yoke mount and tried it that way. But, it covered too much of the instrumentation view. I also did not like how it moves with the yoke. So, I fabricated some wood plates so that it has a flat surface to clamp on the left side of the glare-shield. Now, I have full view of all instruments, and it is right there with just a slight view left. Only downside I have is it blocks the view out the front left window unless I move my head to look. So, I only use it on an IFR flight.

I just use a PanaVise suction cup mount as far over on the windshield as possible. Not a lot of room in a square-tail 150, but I make it work

RAM yoke mount for iPad 2. RAM suction mount for iPhone. Haven't flown with iPad mini yet. Probably end up putting it on the suction mount. Will see.

I gotta ask, what is the white dial towards the top of the panel with the alphabet on it? :confused:
And to the OP, I either set my iPad in the right seat or on the floor between the seats if the right seat is occupied. :D
I just use a PanaVise suction cup mount as far over on the windshield as possible. Not a lot of room in a square-tail 150, but I make it work

When I had my old iPad, I used a case-less cradle with a yoke mount. I have a suction mount for the Debonair. With the mini, I am using a sliding cradle that allows for the OtterBox case. Not dropping this one!

I gotta ask, what is the white dial towards the top of the panel with the alphabet on it? :confused:

It's a silly little dial that helps you remember what the current ATIS information is. Although, as silly as it is, I still find myself using it from time to time, especially if I have a chatty passenger.

I mount my Nexus 7 via a suction cup attached to either the corner of the windshield or to the side window. (The best location depends on the airplane.) That way it is right under my nose and easier to read than a 10" tablet on a kneeboard. IMHO a yoke mount blocks too much of the panel.

I use RAM "A" series hardware. The "A" series uses 9/16" balls and the pieces are MUCH smaller than the more common "B" series with 1" balls. This allows the tablet to be closer against the side of the airplane and it usually does not block anything at all on the panel.

This has worked for me in Mooneys, PA28s, 182s and even as safety pilot in a 195 one day. The same rig works fine in a car when using a road GPS app like Copilot Live.

fly with the I Pad on my knee.very cramped cockpit.

Many thanks for all the replies!
I mount my Nexus 7 via a suction cup attached to either the corner of the windshield or to the side window. (The best location depends on the airplane.) That way it is right under my nose and easier to read than a 10" tablet on a kneeboard. IMHO a yoke mount blocks too much of the panel.

I use RAM "A" series hardware. The "A" series uses 9/16" balls and the pieces are MUCH smaller than the more common "B" series with 1" balls. This allows the tablet to be closer against the side of the airplane and it usually does not block anything at all on the panel.

This has worked for me in Mooneys, PA28s, 182s and even as safety pilot in a 195 one day. The same rig works fine in a car when using a road GPS app like Copilot Live.
This sounds like a nice idea. My current yoke-mounted device doesn't block anything on the panel for me, but the N7 will be a little bigger. I also suspect the N7 won't be as easy to read in sunlight. The suction cup would allow some flexibility in where it goes, to keep lighting the most favorable.

And thanks for the tip on the A series sizing.

It's a silly little dial that helps you remember what the current ATIS information is. Although, as silly as it is, I still find myself using it from time to time, especially if I have a chatty passenger.

Makes sense, not sure I'd buy one. :D:D

In the Cherokee I do like this on the yoke.. 172 uses a suction cup mount.. Both Ram mounts..
image_zps56a49345.jpg
image_zpsc28d7eed.jpg

Heh. Isn't is easier to read the letter you wrote down (and circled, I like to circle it) right before the weather you wrote down?

In the Cherokee I do like this on the yoke.. 172 uses a suction cup mount.. Both Ram mounts..
image_zps56a49345.jpg

that's some fly shag carpeting u got there!

so I'd like to see the mount from behind the tablet.....got any pics of that?

I'm sure it is, but in 1970, Sporty's had to sell something!!:D
Heh. Isn't is easier to read the letter you wrote down (and circled, I like to circle it) right before the weather you wrote down?

I tried the regular Ram yoke mount but it positioned the tablet to awkward for my liking. So I used this 1" ball mount with a short 2" arm and the spider looking tablet mount.. Holds it nice and tight up against the yoke The arm pictured is the long arm... And don't worry that shag is gonna be history!! :rofl::rofl:
image_zps7a878f85.jpg

Creepy. I also circle. It is like we were separated at birth.

Ha. Do you do altitudes like they're depicted on IFR plates? Line above if it's a climb restriction, line below if a descent? :)

Watching some folks over the years, everyone seems to have their own shorthand for copying stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I mount mine in my wife's hands or the right seat.

+1. Exactly where my paper charts were. I never "mounted" my sectionals. I don't understand the fascination with mounting the electronic versions.

I flew the last year with a Nexus 7 using a RAM mount. Worked great. I used a RAM-HOL-TAB-SMU. The first picture is a Nexus 7 using this mount.

After I committed to Garmin Pilot by buying the GDL-39, I bought a iPad Mini to go with my iPad Air. The Mini is yoke mounted and the Air is suction cup mounted. Both are RAM mounts.

Attachments

• DSCF0057.JPG
    DSCF0057.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0768.JPG
    IMG_0768.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0765.JPG
    IMG_0765.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
I never "mounted" my sectionals. I don't understand the fascination with mounting the electronic versions.

Have you never hit an "air pocket"?

On a recent flight, I hit a huge one in my Sky Arrow coming into Peru, Indiana, right after a thunderstorm had passed.

My iPad, mounted with a suction cup, stayed in place. My iPhone flew up, then hit the floor. It was just barely in reach to recover it.

A wayward iPad could conceivably jam controls, do other damage, or even injure someone. None of this is likely, but unsecured items in the cockpit can and have caused problems in flight. Mr. Murphy and his law and all that.

+1. Exactly where my paper charts were. I never "mounted" my sectionals. I don't understand the fascination with mounting the electronic versions.

While I am sure there are IFR pilots who fly without some way of clipping approach plates to the yoke or a kneepad so that they are secure, I wouldn't say that's a "best practices" approach to cockpit resource management, such that one would find it odd that anyone might choose to have their plates secured somewhere easily readable.

I put my mini on my knee. I don't think I'd like the mount. It works great on my knee and when I'm traveling with a passenger I just ask them to hold my kneeboard and hand me my iPad mini when I need it and vice versa. Keeps them involved in the flight!

I have a ram yoke mount w/ two "iPad heads". One "head" is oriented vertically and one horizontally. I fly with the iPad vertical for IFR trips, horizontal for VFR trips. I install the appropriate "head" during pre-flight.

I do this because I like the horizontal position better; the unit fits on the yoke better, and I like the map layout better, but approach plates don't work worth a hoot horizontally so I have a vertical mount for IFR flights.

Here's a few shots of it in the vertical orientation. There's plenty of room in my 182 for this set up and it sits low enough that it doesn't block the view of anything important. Note though, that the iPad head is mounted "up-side-down" so the iPad sits lower.

Attachments

• IMG_3085.jpg
    IMG_3085.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3086.jpg
    IMG_3086.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_3088.jpg
    IMG_3088.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3090.jpg
    IMG_3090.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Tim,

Looks like a good means of using the best features of horizontal and vertical orientations for tablet presentations. I don't quite understand how the "heads" are changed out. And, how long doesit take to change from one to the other ?
Haven't seen this configuration offered on the market. Or, did you work it out by using pices of more than one mount ?

I put a large L shaped backing plate of 0.080 alcad behind the plastic interior window trim. Pick and arm length that positions the tablet or portable in the best position. Works great.

Attachments

• 120713125521.jpg
    120713125521.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 36
I don't quite understand how the "heads" are changed out.

By "head" I mean the "plate" that ipad fits in. I picked up an extra ones, used, along the way somewhere. It only takes a minute to switch it out. As you can see in the below photo, there are two places that the ball can be mounted on the back of the "plate". One location for vertical orientation, one for horizontal. I have one of each.

Some of the newer styles out there may be more adapted to orienting either way. I've had these for quite some time.

ramb121ap8iu3.jpg

I prefer a Mini ypke mounted. It seems to be the perfect solution in smaller cockpits.

PanelandiPad_zpsa6d0b285.jpg

Because you keep the chart in your lap in turbulence by sticking a hand or finger on your position. You do that with a touchscreen you're changing things.

Duh?

I've flown with the iPad in my lap. Even on calm days the rounded metal smooth back means it's going to hit the floor eventually.

And eventually it's headed for the right side floor under the rudder pedals when no passenger is over there to hand it back. Ask me how I know. :)

Mounting it, either to a Kneeboard or mount elsewhere, especially single pilot, means it'll be where you expect it to be and can be operated one-handed.

The other option is to stick it UNDER your leg after putting it to sleep or standing it between the seats, which I've also done. Kinda lowers the utility of the moving map display for situational awareness. At that point it's pretty much just a chart.

My Kneeboard has rubber coating on the clip. That's probably going to work nicely with the mini. And that'll be enough "mount". The big iPad is a bit annoying on the lap that way.

I put a large L shaped backing plate of 0.080 alcad behind the plastic interior window trim. Pick and arm length that positions the tablet or portable in the best position. Works great.

Like. Like. Like.

I have a suction cup ram mount and arm attached to the side window that puts it right next to my panel. Only hassle is the need for removing the iPad (so I don't drop it) before opening the door. I leave the RAM stuff attached, has been there four months and never come loose:

image_zpsb2e1572e.jpg

Last edited:
In a Cheetah, I used the RAM suction cup mount on the far side window for my iPad 2. It was the only place it wasn't blocking anything. Now I use a yoke mount for my iPad Mini and love it even more.

Back