How do you change your HIMS Dr?

Stegoo_86

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Stego_86
Hello,

I'll try to make this as brief as possible. I'm in a deferral for a class 3 med for being on an approved SSRI. I have a BCP as my prescribing doctor, another physiatrist as my therapist, all with who I have a good relationship. I've also completed my FAA Cog exam.

Now with that out of the way, onto my question. I've been working with a HIMS Dr who just seems too busy at this time. My BCP has completed the FAA guide, answering all the bullet points and even writing a letter of recommendation. However, whenever I send this information over to the doctor, they come back with something that seems unsatisfactory. I've been trying to get answers on how to approach this, but they just state that they can't give me any feedback. My BCP has been requesting what he needs to file this properly, but with that kind of answer, I'm stuck in limbo.

I'm not faulting the HIMS doctor, I know they have a lot going on but I feel like I'm just spinning in the mud here. It's really discouraging, and we haven't submitted this to the FAA yet. Should I change my doctor or wait this out...?

I imagine you are paying the HIMS doc good money. Some of them specialize in alcoholism cases and may not have the time or expertise for an SSRI case. I would switch sooner rather than later.

I think the process is contact the new one and confirm they will take your case. Then contact the office staff at the old one and ask that a copy of your entire file be sent to the one. Or have the new doc’s office ask for it - sometimes there is no charge for that.

If you have already got an authorization to a “send within 60 days” letter, changing involves the Federal Air Surgeon’s office. If you have not, you simply go to another HIMS AME.

...but if you have a lot going on, it almost always appears as you describe it, to the airman applicant......

This is rather common. The first thing I’d do is talk to the guy and see if he’s willing simply write a simple three or four sentence letter to the FAA stating he is withdrawing as your HIMS AME. Then find a good one...

The only doctor changing problem I’ve ever seen is one where a company refused to let someone change doctors.

Now, if this guy refuses, I’m not really sure what you do. I’d then call a lawyer. Keep in mind the HIMS program is NOTHING but an administrative procedure. It’s not medico anything, keep that in mind as you try and navigate it. The FAA cares nothing about the quality of your doctor. Indeed their quality assurance of the guy is nothing but administrative as well. In the end you get punished for their incompetence. It’s quite normal in HIMS, I don’t know about other special issuance arenas.

Ya, everything you spent with this guy is likely wasted. It’s a pretty bad system...

The definition of a good HIMS AME is someone who meets the FAA administrative requirements to be one, doesn’t matter if they’re an eye doctor, and are administrative geniuses. Problem solved...

I’ve asked my HIMS AME this before and he explained that it’s as simple as you filling out, and signing a form. Then you find a different HIMS AME. I would ask your current AME just to verify what I’ve been told.

Why do I envision a "no tolerance" bureaucracy being suspicious of a desire to change? Too cynical?

Not at all. ALPA and delta are forcing pilots to see doctors they have filed complaints against... in the HIMS program.

Outside of these draconian programs, it’s easy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back