How do pilots actually pay attention to instruments and gauges?

LongRoadBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jacker
I'm sure I will get more instruction when I am through with ground school and can start flying, but I am really curious as I learn about private pilots and when and how they watch the instrument panel.

I am sure a pilot must pay attention to all the gauges and instruments, but also am thinking in reality human beings are not machines and there must be some prioritizing during different phases of flying where focus is narrowed at least for a time.

Also very sure that many do it differently, but would love to hear just a basic synopsis (or as detailed as you would care to go) how and what you focus on when say pre-takeoff, takeoff, climb and cruise, pre-landing and landing.

Such as, how often do you do a quick check of oil pressure, manifold pressure, oil temp, etc. in the whole scheme of things, and are those checked in run-up to takeoff, while climbing and at what frequency about? Are you constantly looking outside the aircraft, and darting looks down to the panel, and then is it mostly flight instruments and every 3rd time engine gauges, or...??

One other thing. I'm older (almost 60) and my eyesight is not what it used to be. Have no problem reading at the distance the gauges are at, but documents or flight computers, etc. I need reading glasses to be able to read. I can't imagine having to take them off and on, or even letting them sit on the end of the nose, are there special prescription glasses like bifocal or other that pilots that become far-sighted with age use?

Thanks for any and all replies!

The good thing about engine instruments is that they are all usually localized in one place. So one glance and you're able to see if they're good. You don't need to stare at them. In fact 90% of the time, your eyes should be outside.

The good thing about engine instruments is that they are all usually localized in one place. So one glance and you're able to see if they're good. You don't need to stare at them. In fact 90% of the time, your eyes should be outside.

In IMC that wouldn't work very well. :)

Same age, same vision issues. Most of the time I use bifocals but in the airplane I use progressive lenses. Makes it much easier to move your eyes where you want them. The only problem I have with this setup is looking down (outside the airplane) - have to bend my head down to focus through the upper (distant vision) part of the lenses.

On my last medical the "intermediate" range was a challenge because I brought my regular bifocals instead of the progressive lenses which would have made it so much easier.

I figured too that with experience comes the nanosecond glance that gives information, but I wouldn't trust myself as a student to be sure I grasped immidiately if the engine had started getting hotter (yet still in the green), etc. Just for fun I try this in my car. I realize my bias is first and foremost the speedometer (and realize to, my father being a pilot always used to tell me the sign of a good driver was pegging the needle to a speed with no variation) and secondary the fuel gauge, but once in a while (depending on the weather) the temp gauge. I started trying while driving to pay a little attention to the RPM gauge. Maybe because it is not as critical as up in an aircraft, but it got ridiculous, flitting back and forth.

I guess maybe the main question (besides the one on far-sighted and glasses) do student pilots tend to have the same or certain problems tendencies? I'm imagining you'd get new students that stare too long and at the wrong times at gauges, but probable much more that don't check them enough (other than the main six).

Same age, same vision issues. Get a prescription for bifocals but get progressive lenses. Makes it much easier to move your eyes where you want them. The only problem I have with this setup is looking down (outside the airplane) - have to bend my head down to focus through the upper (distant vision) part of the lenses.

On my last medical the "intermediate" range was a challenge because I brought my regular bifocals instead of the progressive lenses which would have made it so much easier.

Thanks very much for the advice! That is exactly what I was thinking of. I am trying to set up my first flight medical check (ever) and now am wondering if I ought to first see about getting progressive glasses as you mention. Since I believe the instruments won't be a problem (and of course outside won't either) I guess it just has most of the space in the upper part is just plain glass. Am thinking though I might just want to go to the check, and let the eye doctor tell me what to get since they will check that as well.

Do you ever find it slightly disorienting when you first look out (assuming you are anything like me and forget that you need to duck your head a little to see slightly down) before remembering? Any other problems or extra things you have to do in the cockpit, can you read small print with the progressive lenses? Also, do you keep backup glasses or just extra reading just in case?

@LongRoadBob Fixation is something you have to work to overcome. When I first started flying, my eyes were always on the altitude, VSI and speed. When I transitioned to instruments, I did the same thing and it was a hard habit to break. My instructor and I would be doing manuevers somewhere and as I'm glued to the instruments he'd ask, how do you know your artificial horizon is working? When's the last time you checked the vacuum pump? Same for the turn coordinator, when's the last time you checked your amps/volts?

I include them now in my scan, doesn't take but a moment and you'll know if something is wrong once you get used to the sight picture of how they look when they are correct.

Case in point: I was flying down to KAPF for a late dinner, on an IFR flight plan but looking outside since I was in VMC. Usual scan, looking at all the USUAL stuff, then I heard my instructors voice saying, when's the last time you checked your...etc.. Looked over at the Ammeter and saw it doing a windshield wiper thing, then it settled on 0. Cross checked my volts gauge and saw a value less than 12 (I'm on a 14V system). Diverted and got the problem fixed.

If I hadn't paid any attention to that, or NOT included it in my scan I would have had a serious problem 30 minutes later.

You'll learn to do the usual 6 pack cross check, but don't forget to spend some time every 5-10 minutes (or more) looking at oil pressure, fuel pressure, vacuum (had one of those fail on me too that I caught with a cross check), etc..takes practice and discipline to avoid fixation.

Same age, same vision issues. Most of the time I use bifocals but in the airplane I use progressive lenses. Makes it much easier to move your eyes where you want them. The only problem I have with this setup is looking down (outside the airplane) - have to bend my head down to focus through the upper (distant vision) part of the lenses.

------

Interesting, I had the exact opposite experience. I had progressives, but always had a little problem with an almost vertigo-like feeling when I'd look between the magnifications. For example, walking down stairs, looking down, and picking up both magnifications. And any kind of wrap around sunglasses made it worse due the "fish bowl" effect of the curved lenses. And a little bit of motion, like say in an airplane, made it worse still.

So, when it was time for new glasses, I went with plain lined bifocals. They work much better for me because I can find the right magnification without having to transition through the progressive part. And new Ray Bans solved the fish bowl problem, even if a pair of bifocal Wayfarers does just seem kinda wrong! :cool:

I figured too that with experience comes the nanosecond glance that gives information, but I wouldn't trust myself as a student to be sure I grasped immidiately if the engine had started getting hotter (yet still in the green), etc.
I guess maybe the main question (besides the one on far-sighted and glasses) do student pilots tend to have the same or certain problems tendencies? I'm imagining you'd get new students that stare too long and at the wrong times at gauges, but probable much more that don't check them enough (other than the main six).
Of course they do! That's why there's such a thing as flight training.

To blatantly plagiarize the old Paper Chase movie, flight training isn't really about stalls and takeoffs and landings and turns around a point.

You come into flight training with a brain full of much, and leave thinking like a pilot.

Of course, some brains are mushier than others :D

I've read (can't recall where) that students tend to be instrument fixated, so this is probably typical and related to low time. I recall frequent glances at the attitude indicator during my primary training. When I resumed training in the Champ a couple years ago, there was only "primitive" instrumentation to monitor: tach, ASI and oil temp/pressure! In the Champ I tended to fixate on the ASI. I remember my instructor telling me to "stop chasing the airspeed." I was forced to learn flight by external references. Most pilots incorporate instrument scanning into their regular outside scan. Not quite as difficult as simultaneously rubbing your tummy and patting your head, it's something that requires practice. I think it's recommended to scan for traffic from left to right, then scan the instruments from right to left, then repeat. As one becomes familiar with the aircraft and what's "normal" for the instruments, it's easier to monitor with a glance.

@LongRoadBob Case in point: I was flying down to KAPF for a late dinner, on an IFR flight plan but looking outside since I was in VMC. Usual scan, looking at all the USUAL stuff, then I heard my instructors voice saying, when's the last time you checked your...etc.. Looked over at the Ammeter and saw it doing a windshield wiper thing, then it settled on 0. Cross checked my volts gauge and saw a value less than 12 (I'm on a 14V system). Diverted and got the problem fixed.
If I hadn't paid any attention to that, or NOT included it in my scan I would have had a serious problem 30 minutes later.

Just wondering, does your plane have a low voltage indicator light, and if so was it on?

Just wondering, does your plane have a low voltage indicator light, and if so was it on?

I don't have anything fancy like that in my plane :). It's a 1965 C model Cherokee. No annunciators to speak of, so requires the pilot to be alert and pay attention.

The only thing I DO have that lights up with an error is the stall warning light. There is no horn, just a big red light in the middle of the dash.

I do instrument and gauge scans usually every few minutes. The problem with aircraft is, that if something does go wrong, you may not have a lot of time to deal with it; unlike a car, you can't just pull over to the side of the road. Once an emergency starts, you may only have minutes before gravity dictates you will be on the ground, wether you'd like to be or not.

Situational awareness is just as important. Most of my rescue flights take me along the same corridor from PA to VA, so I'm quite familiar with emergency airports and locations if I ever need one.

On my last rescue flight, the primary vacuum pump failed while over NYC at 8500'. I cross checked the vacuum and instruments, then engaged the backup system, which provided just enough vacuum to keep things working. This was a VFR flight going from dusk to darkness with a first time passenger. We were scheduled to be back in daylight however the animal rescue flight ran late. Another skill you develop is to quickly analyze the situation, stay calm, and keep your passengers calm as well.

A few months ago I broke down, admitted I may (may!) be getting old, and got my first pair of progressives. They are excellent and I don't miss having to look under the lens of my old single focal length glasses to read a chart or the iPad. These lenses can be manufactured to meet a very wide range of specific requirements beyond just focal lengths. I chose a frame with a large lens, had mine made to ensure the upper part (distance) is large with no detectable distortion in the peripheral vision (a common complaint with some progressives apparently). The compromise this creates, however, is the middle distance focal length part of the lens is fairly narrow (both vertical and horizontal) - but this works fine for me.

Yes, I always carry an extra pair of glasses in the cockpit and readily accessible (they are useless otherwise). For now I am just using my old pair of sunglasses for this.

I adjusted to them in one day with no issues. But I do have friends (non-pilots) that had difficulties including a few that could not, gave up on progressives and went back to bi-focals. FInd a really good optician and discuss the details before you shell out the $.

As for the instruments, the comments already posted cover it pretty well. Avoid fixation on a single instrument or reading, develop a consistent scan (try to avoid switching to airplanes with different panel layouts during the early part of your training), learn to remember what the normal position of the engine instrument needles are and look for a change from normal on the scan instead of trying to read the actual temp or pressure figures each time (i am assuming analogue instruments) and try to avoid spending too much time with your head in the cockpit instead of looking outside.

It's great to hear about people like you learning to fly at this stage in their lives. Too many think only youngsters can do it. Not true at all. Don't let anything discourage you as the rewards will outweigh the effort by multiples.

Last edited:
@LongRoadBob Fixation is something you have to work to overcome. When I first started flying, my eyes were always on the altitude, VSI and speed. When I transitioned to instruments, I did the same thing and it was a hard habit to break. My instructor and I would be doing manuevers somewhere and as I'm glued to the instruments he'd ask, how do you know your artificial horizon is working? When's the last time you checked the vacuum pump? Same for the turn coordinator, when's the last time you checked your amps/volts?

I include them now in my scan, doesn't take but a moment and you'll know if something is wrong once you get used to the sight picture of how they look when they are correct.

Case in point: I was flying down to KAPF for a late dinner, on an IFR flight plan but looking outside since I was in VMC. Usual scan, looking at all the USUAL stuff, then I heard my instructors voice saying, when's the last time you checked your...etc.. Looked over at the Ammeter and saw it doing a windshield wiper thing, then it settled on 0. Cross checked my volts gauge and saw a value less than 12 (I'm on a 14V system). Diverted and got the problem fixed.

You'll learn to do the usual 6 pack cross check, but don't forget to spend some time every 5-10 minutes (or more) looking at oil pressure, fuel pressure, vacuum (had one of those fail on me too that I caught with a cross check), etc..takes practice and discipline to avoid fixation.

Thanks, this is what I was looking for also. I think it is hard to get to the point where a glance does it, and that one is sure they WOULD have seen if something amiss. Of course the design of the gauges and instruments is hopefully thought out to give most pertinent information most easily, but I believe some things may still be in the green and yet a potential problem building. I guess too, as an electronics technician I was used to taking readings where the reading had to be checked for values, instead of pass-fail. I will have to work to not try and read exact readings maybe on some instruments and more "ok-not ok" checks.

Thanks also for the 5-10 minute checks on engine gauges. That is what I was looking for to. Do you check it more often on slow climbs?

------

Interesting, I had the exact opposite experience. I had progressives, but always had a little problem with an almost vertigo-like feeling when I'd look between the magnifications. For example, walking down stairs, looking down, and picking up both magnifications. And any kind of wrap around sunglasses made it worse due the "fish bowl" effect of the curved lenses. And a little bit of motion, like say in an airplane, made it worse still.

So, when it was time for new glasses, I went with plain lined bifocals. They work much better for me because I can find the right magnification without having to transition through the progressive part. And new Ray Bans solved the fish bowl problem, even if a pair of bifocal Wayfarers does just seem kinda wrong! :cool:

Thanks for that. I'm thinking I might be also susceptible to the gradual progressive part. Actually I have virtual bifocals which I am very used to...meaning cheap driugstore reading glasses perched on the end of my nose where I can look over them straight ahead, down through them to read. This is my MO at home, and because of that I think clearly defined bifocals sound like a better fit for me. It's great to read all this from you guys, and probably will save me trial and error and extra costs on glasses!

A few months ago I broke down, admitted I may (may!) be getting old, and got my first pair of progressives. They are excellent and I don't miss having to look under the lens of my old single focal length glasses to read a chart or the iPad. These lenses can be manufactured to meet a very wide range of specific requirements beyond just focal lengths. I chose a frame with a large lens, had mine made to ensure the upper part (distance) is large with no detectable distortion in the peripheral vision (a common complaint with some progressives apparently). The compromise this creates, however, is the middle distance focal length part of the lens is fairly narrow (both vertical and horizontal) - but this works fine for me.

Yes, I always carry an extra pair of glasses in the cockpit and readily accessible (they are useless otherwise). For now I am just using my old pair of sunglasses for this.

I adjusted to them in one day with no issues. But I do have friends (non-pilots) that had difficulties including a few that could not, gave up on progressives and went back to bi-focals. FInd a really good optician and discuss the details before you shell out the $.

As for the instruments, the comments already posted cover it pretty well. Avoid fixation on a single instrument or reading, develop a consistent scan (try to avoid switching to airplanes with different panel layouts during the early part of your training), learn to remember what the normal position of the engine instrument needles are and look for a change from normal on the scan instead of trying to read the actual temp or pressure figures each time (i am assuming analogue instruments) and try to avoid spending too much time with your head in the cockpit instead of looking outside.

It's great to hear about people like you learning to fly at this stage in their lives. Too many think only youngsters can do it. Not true at all. Don't let anything discourage you as the rewards will outweigh the effort by multiples.

I forgot to ask, and no one yet mentioned...what about sunglasses and progressives or bifocals? Clip ons, or seperate prescription sunglasses? And does the tint in sunglasses bring you back into reading problems (lack of light) when using them? Sorry, I meant to ask that along with the original question and forgot.

And thanks for the encouragement! I'm pretty determined to make it, and believe I will but I do think it is too late to be an excellent pilot, I'm going for best I can be and definitely a safe one that doesn't take this lightly. Man I am looking forward to flying again though (did as a kid with my dad who was an excellent pilot). I'm very anxious to see if I do have what it takes, can learn it and keep control and aware enough as a pilot some day. I realize I might not be up to it, but we'll see. I'm optimistic. Also probably overthinking it.

Admittedly dorky...

8294451946_156f4dc021_z.jpg

Walmart flip-up clipons over progressive bifocals.

Big advantage is the can be adjusted 1/2 way, so that the outside view is through the clipons, but the panel is not.

I forgot to ask, and no one yet mentioned...what about sunglasses and progressives or bifocals? Clip ons, or seperate prescription sunglasses? And does the tint in sunglasses bring you back into reading problems (lack of light) when using them? Sorry, I meant to ask that along with the original question and forgot.

And thanks for the encouragement! I'm pretty determined to make it, and believe I will but I do think it is too late to be an excellent pilot, I'm going for best I can be and definitely a safe one that doesn't take this lightly. Man I am looking forward to flying again though (did as a kid with my dad who was an excellent pilot). I'm very anxious to see if I do have what it takes, can learn it and keep control and aware enough as a pilot some day. I realize I might not be up to it, but we'll see. I'm optimistic. Also probably overthinking it.

I had polarized prescription sunglasses made. High index plastic lenses to keep them lightweight. They are "expensive" but nothing like what the rest of the airplane costs to keep running :cool:

I have found over the years that a grey or brown/orange tint works better in hazy conditions than either blue or green tints. I prefer polarized because I also use them when sailing. The polarizing can be a problem with some LCD glass panel instruments.

I have progressive transition lenses which I normally use when flying because my RayBans make it impossible to read GPS display...

Thanks very much for the advice! That is exactly what I was thinking of. I am trying to set up my first flight medical check (ever) and now am wondering if I ought to first see about getting progressive glasses as you mention. Since I believe the instruments won't be a problem (and of course outside won't either) I guess it just has most of the space in the upper part is just plain glass. Am thinking though I might just want to go to the check, and let the eye doctor tell me what to get since they will check that as well.

Do you ever find it slightly disorienting when you first look out (assuming you are anything like me and forget that you need to duck your head a little to see slightly down) before remembering? Any other problems or extra things you have to do in the cockpit, can you read small print with the progressive lenses? Also, do you keep backup glasses or just extra reading just in case?

I had to experiment a bit with the progressives - I actually got some cheap ones from Zenni which work fine. No issues with disorientation - becomes natural to adjust head angle when looking outside. It's not an issue looking forward because that naturally looks through the upper part of the lens. Looking down (in front of wing on my Bonanza) is where I have to make adjustments. I had a problem with sunglasses making it hard to see my GNS530/430 screens, so I got a pair of non-polarized, 50% light transmission progressives from Zenni (in an aviator frame) and they work great. Cost me about a hundred bucks.

I keep a couple of extra pairs of glasses including my "primary" bifocals in my flight bag and another extra set in the plane. When I update my prescription every 2-3 years, the old glasses become the backups.

------

I have found this to be a very individualized issue. I have tried some expensive (from my optometrist) progressives where I had the same problem. The larger frame cheaopos from Zenni work great for me and the transition is more gradual. I have also found the frames make a huge difference - flatter lenses seem to work better for progressives for me (I tried to get some cool wrapround prescription sunglasses and the distortion was unbearable).

I'm sure I will get more instruction when I am through with ground school and can start flying, but I am really curious as I learn about private pilots and when and how they watch the instrument panel.

I am sure a pilot must pay attention to all the gauges and instruments, but also am thinking in reality human beings are not machines and there must be some prioritizing during different phases of flying where focus is narrowed at least for a time.

Also very sure that many do it differently, but would love to hear just a basic synopsis (or as detailed as you would care to go) how and what you focus on when say pre-takeoff, takeoff, climb and cruise, pre-landing and landing.

Such as, how often do you do a quick check of oil pressure, manifold pressure, oil temp, etc. in the whole scheme of things, and are those checked in run-up to takeoff, while climbing and at what frequency about? Are you constantly looking outside the aircraft, and darting looks down to the panel, and then is it mostly flight instruments and every 3rd time engine gauges, or...??

One other thing. I'm older (almost 60) and my eyesight is not what it used to be. Have no problem reading at the distance the gauges are at, but documents or flight computers, etc. I need reading glasses to be able to read. I can't imagine having to take them off and on, or even letting them sit on the end of the nose, are there special prescription glasses like bifocal or other that pilots that become far-sighted with age use?

Find an eye doctor who is a pilot. I wear trifocals, and when it came time for a new prescription he checked my distance vision, my ability to see and interpret instruments at panel distance, and my ability to read approach plates clipped to the yoke... I have had lens replacement surgery and no longer need trifocals. As a pilot, he knew what those distances were.

You should pay minimal attention to the flight and power instruments..you are being trained as a visual flight rules pilot and must establish your airplane's attitude using outside references. Your instructor should have you do some flying with the instruments covered...Orville and Wilbur did not have flight instruments.

Bob Gardner

Thanks, this is what I was looking for also. I think it is hard to get to the point where a glance does it, and that one is sure they WOULD have seen if something amiss. Of course the design of the gauges and instruments is hopefully thought out to give most pertinent information most easily, but I believe some things may still be in the green and yet a potential problem building. I guess too, as an electronics technician I was used to taking readings where the reading had to be checked for values, instead of pass-fail. I will have to work to not try and read exact readings maybe on some instruments and more "ok-not ok" checks.

Thanks also for the 5-10 minute checks on engine gauges. That is what I was looking for to. Do you check it more often on slow climbs?

When I discuss scanning the instruments in THE COMPLETE ADVANCED PILOT, I tell my readers that looking at instruments can be broken down into quick looks, reads, dwells, and stares. A quick look takes maybe a second (one Mississippi); a read takes maybe three seconds; a dwell might take as long as five seconds, and a stare might go on until the airplane does something to jolt the pilot back to reality. Note that this advice is for pilots working on the their instrument ratings, not VFR pilots such as yourself.

Almost all of your flying career will be spent in cruise flight: constant altitude, constant airspeed. If there are no vertical air movements (beyond your control), and you leave the power alone, this situation should remain stable until you run out of gas or reach your destination, whichever comes first. You will learn the symptoms of carburetor icing, so you will glance at the tachometer once in awhile.

Bottom line: Your attention should be outside of the airplance, not inside.

Bob Gardner

At critical phases of flight in VMC my attention is outside of the airplane. Climbs are one of those things, especially departure climbs at uncontrolled fields. Other times like descending near an airway, around major airports, intersections, etc..

A typical VFR scan from takeoff roll for me may be:

Apply full power (gradually, 1..2..3)
Check RPM as expected
Straight down, check oil pressure, fuel pressure, oil temp
Look outside plane
Airspeed alive?
Look outside plane
Airspeed ~50-60 knots, rotate
Pitch for 90 knots (I intentionally climb at a lower AOA so I can see over the nose, climbing at Vx or Vy when not necessary limits my field of view)
Look outside plane
Turn coordinator, VSI, altitude, AI, heading
RPM, oil pressure, temp, fuel, vacuum

I'm outside of the plane mostly at that point on, with similar flows up to altitude. I start rotating in my engine monitor as my CHTs tend to run hot so I can adjust pitch and keep airflow cooling them off if I need to do so.

At cruise it's the standard 6 pack rotation, oil, rpm, fuel, amps volts.

I don't spend more than a second or two (like Bob mentions) looking at instruments. I know what they should look like before I look at them. If they don't well..then I start paying more attention to why. Also I'm not moving my head all around (ESPECIALLY not in IMC), I can catch things with peripheral vision too.

You'll figure out what works best for you as time goes on and as you start understanding what readings are "normal" you require FAR less time to cross-check.

What instruments? There are instruments in my plane? :)

IMG_2682_zps17b487d4.jpg

But in all seriousness, you don't look at them much when flying VFR. Check oil pressure on start, airspeed on takeoff roll, and fuel before you leave.

Thanks to all of you for the help. Message received, my attention first and foremost should be outside the airplane though I will still need to check instruments, but focus first is outside. Also the tips on glasses from all of you have helped a lot for me to decide what to try. Great tips.

Bob, did the eye surgery make your eyes good again with no need for any help at all? Was it to correct the normal aging eye problems such as being far sighted? Were there any negative effects from it?

Great tip on flip sunglasse clip-ons from FastEddie, keeping the near field clear.

As I mentioned, I know I'm getting ahead of myself, that my instructor should go over where I should look, how much, and all. I'm just very interested and eager, and I have yet to take a plane up, but other than my ground school studies I'm very excited about how it really is to control an airplane and takeoff and land, and again getting ahead of myself. I am focused on ground school and am very glad for forums such as this one.

Thanks!

Thanks to all of you for the help. Message received, my attention first and foremost should be outside the airplane though I will still need to check instruments, but focus first is outside. Also the tips on glasses from all of you have helped a lot for me to decide what to try. Great tips.

Bob, did the eye surgery make your eyes good again with no need for any help at all? Was it to correct the normal aging eye problems such as being far sighted? Were there any negative effects from it?

Great tip on flip sunglasse clip-ons from FastEddie, keeping the near field clear.

As I mentioned, I know I'm getting ahead of myself, that my instructor should go over where I should look, how much, and all. I'm just very interested and eager, and I have yet to take a plane up, but other than my ground school studies I'm very excited about how it really is to control an airplane and takeoff and land, and again getting ahead of myself. I am focused on ground school and am very glad for forums such as this one.

Thanks!

It was a combination cataract removal/lens replacement (both eyes). I can drive and watch TV without glasses. I do need readers when I read in bed, but that is really close-up. The only hassle was the post-op regime of so many drops of this, so many drops of that, with specific timing, but that lasted only a week or so.

Bob

Wait'll you lose oil pressure once or twice in flight. Big incentive to check engine guages regularly. There's a term "in the green". As long as the needles are in the green arc you're good. No reason to study them.

If you're going to have an engine problem, nine times out of ten the engine will try and speak to you beforehand through the guages. Be prepared to listen.

I like the flip ups. I use clip ons, but the kind that hook to the frame. Have to head to Wally's...

Not only do I pay attention to my insturments, people compliment me on them all the time.

@LongRoadBob don't sweat it. As you see many of us have progressives or other techniques. And you'll better know if it's working or not for you once you're in the airplane.

One thought: If your instructor is young-ish, don't forget to TELL him or her if you're having trouble.

These hawk-eyed kids haven't seen what a pain in the rump presbyopia is yet. They may not realize you CAN'T read something. They'll understand though and suggest you find a way to read that, and that, and that (pointing at different things) and of course you'll have figured out anything you can't quite make out by then.

Piece of cake. Go flying and have fun.

My first instructor thought I was looking inside at instruments too much once during my primary training so he took his jacket off and covered the whole panel and said, "Okay, now just fly it. Look out the window." :) That's VFR flying.

Training.

Not only do I pay attention to my insturments, people compliment me on them all the time.

And that's the problem with those boring glass panels. Showing off the airplane to the new GF on the ground, it's all black, like a miniature version of the big screen back in the apt. Can't impress anyone with that.
Show off a steam gauge panel and second base is in the bag [but as we all know it'll require epaulets with stripes to get any further than that :cool: ]

And that's the problem with those boring glass panels. Showing off the airplane to the new GF on the ground, it's all black, like a miniature version of the big screen back in the apt. Can't impress anyone with that.
Show off a steam gauge panel and second base is in the bag [but as we all know it'll require epaulets with stripes to get any further than that :cool: ]

When I was deciding to begin training, and wondering if at my age I could learn it my wife (being helpful) said something like "it's just like driving a car up in the air". She has since understood there is a bit more to it, as she's seen the course material and how much time I've put in learning just the theory, and revised a bit. Now if I get a glass panel, she's going to think it's just like a video game. I decided from the start that I want to learn on steam gauges, nothing against glass panels but I want to learn the basics first...like the plane I grew up with when my dad was flying.

The FAA puts out some very good publications, and they're free. And they will directly correlate to any tests. Airplane Flying Handbook addresses instrument scan.

Back