How do I update my 530W when away from home.

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I use the Skybound adapter with my Windows 10 pc and run the JDM app. But when I am on the road for a month and my nav data expires, how would I do the update if all I have on me is my Ipad?

As far as I know, you can't. Laptop goes with you.

Every FBO I have ever been in had a Windows computer with internet access. Why not use it?

Yeah there's not going to be any way without a PC. I couldn't even get it to work on a Mac with windows running in a virtual machine.

Every FBO I have ever been in had a Windows computer with internet access. Why not use it?
As long as it's not locked down and you can install the necessary software on it that might be an option.

That's where a Windows 10 tablet computer or laptop would come in handy. Just beware that the Jepp Skybound adapter may not work from all motherboard powered USB ports. I had to hook mine up to a powered USB hub to get it to work. The Garmin card writer seems to work OK on 500 mA motherboard power.

I've never seen one that had JDM on it, or one that would allow me to install it.

The data will be good when we cross the Rockies going West, but it will expire while we are on the other side. Perhaps we can find an avionics shop that will allow me to use my Skybound and my account.

That's where a Windows 10 tablet computer or laptop would come in handy. Just beware that the Jepp Skybound adapter may not work from all motherboard powered USB ports. I had to hook mine up to a powered USB hub to get it to work. The Garmin card writer seems to work OK on 500 mA motherboard power.
Yeah. I have a windows laptop but it has a 17 inch screen and is a bit much to lug around just to update the GPS, but it might be the only answer.

Do you have a laptop? Or a willingness to buy a cheapo/used laptop? I imagine some $100 ebay special could be found and work well enough for the purpose

I've never seen one that had JDM on it, or one that would allow me to install it.

I guess our flight school is different. They even provide the adapter.

I’m not familiar with Windows, but on Macs you can run programs off of a USB stick. Can you do that with Windows?

You can still fly enroute with an expired GPS database, you just can't do any GPS based approaches. If that is less of an operational impact than carrying a laptop around, you've found your solution.

You can still fly enroute with an expired GPS database, you just can't do any GPS based approaches.

I think I've read somewhere that the approaches are still doable IF you verify the procedure involved against a current published chart.

I could be smoking something. It is 4/20 after all.

I use the Skybound adapter with my Windows 10 pc and run the JDM app. But when I am on the road for a month and my nav data expires, how would I do the update if all I have on me is my Ipad?

The amount of storage required for the Jepp software is minimal. Buy a small inexpensive laptop to take along or determine if the FBO has the software on one of their computers and use your account.

About any flight school with planes equipped with Garmin will be set up.

Last edited:
I think I've read somewhere that the approaches are still doable IF you verify the procedure involved against a current published chart.

I could be smoking something. It is 4/20 after all.

I think that is a grey (or gray? I get the speeling cunfusaed) area. Or you could just do what you suggested and not crash, and chances are no one would know the difference.

Back