How do I find a pilot?

Wow. How cool. Had not thought of all that, Balla, Shot Calla.
Thank you so much for your insights.

.What the hell difference does it make if I wanna own a 172, a Learjet, a King Air, a Maverick SmartJet, or anything else as long as it's what I want?

Makes no difference at all on what you purchase if it fits your needs and mission. If a new C172 works, okay. If you require a King Air, maybe even better. If your needs make GA a good solution for you, but (as you just stated) health conditions prevent obtaining a medical certificate, I see no problems with you owning an aircraft and hiring the appropriately qualified pilot to operate it.

See my post above for where I said this is not uncommon and some ideas on how to find your pilot. Also note the absence of snark.

Awesome, This Space For Rent.
Thanks so much for the level-headed insights.
It'll be Denver, CO.
I'll do exactly as you suggest.

"This space for rent" isn't where yOu find our board names.... That's just "tag line space we can change at anytime.

Real name is Mike.

Well, this one broke me up, Sundog.
I remember this from how the natives catch the monkey with the lump of salt in the tree knothole. I'm crackin' up :).

Denver is home to many of our board members, including "Everskyward", real name Mari, who is a corporate pilot. Her job is doing what you are describing, but in business jets. She might be a good starting source to other pilots who would be available to fly your airplane.

Well, this one broke me up, Sundog.
I remember this from how the natives catch the monkey with the lump of salt in the tree knothole. I'm crackin' up :).

Also works with raccoons and a buttermilk churn, according to the Little House books.

Yeah, right.
You'd be surprised to know how many doctors who operate on you are alcoholics and otherwise drug addicts. A reporter once said to Henry Ford "People claim that you can't spell words very well." To which Ford replied "I have a dictionary in my house; I don't HAVE to know how to spell very well."

Not only that, I resent your slight and your attempt to belittle me publicly for any deficiencies I may have when there was no reason to do so. Jesus once said "Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone."

And on top of that, as someone who is bipolar and also a second degree black belt in martials, an X-Marine combat veteran, and someone who doesn't take #$%& from ANYBODY---including you, I will defer here and take the high road and not tell you what I think of your small-minded attack and suggest that you train yourself to keep your loose tongue in your mouth; otherwise, you may unleash it on someone like me in the street someday where distance will not protect you.

Yeah, right.
You'd be surprised to know how many doctors who operate on you are alcoholics and otherwise drug addicts. A reporter once said to Henry Ford "People claim that you can't spell words very well." To which Ford replied "I have a dictionary in my house; I don't HAVE to know how to spell very well."

Not only that, I resent your slight and your attempt to belittle me publicly for any deficiencies I may have when there was no reason to do so. Jesus once said "Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone."

And on top of that, as someone who is bipolar and also a second degree black belt in martials, an X-Marine combat veteran, and someone who doesn't take #$%& from ANYBODY---including you, I will defer here and take the high road and not tell you what I think of your small-minded attack and suggest that you train yourself to keep your loose tongue in your mouth; otherwise, you may unleash it on someone like me in the street someday where distance will not protect you.

Who is this aimed at? And what got you wrapped around the axle?

If someone is getting you wound up, that response does nothing but vent your spleen and invite a heated response. Ignore them, they will go away, and you can choose to work with the folks who you feel are helping, not provoking.

I like pie.

Just want to leave a breadcrumb here. No thread content offered.

Let's say I'm gonna buy a general aviation airplane, either a new Cessna 172 diesel Skyhawk, or have Velocity build me a Velocity V-Twin carnard. This aircraft will be for personal use and may have other civilian passengers in it with me.

How on earth do I find a qualified pilot?

I thought maybe tryin' to find an x-military fighter pilot---maybe a carrier-based Navy pilot, or an aerobatic pilot. I know that I want someone who can, well, "fly the hell out of an airplane," but where do I look, and how do I know? I'm assuming I'd look in the city where I'm gonna live, but the other part has got me. Alas, I'm lost.:dunno:

So, would someone please be so kind as to get me started?

Thanks so much

Fly the hell out of a 172? LOL.

O.k., I think physical threats are a no-no, and OP is treading thin ice.

Either we're being punk'd and Bryan is having fun, or OP is as crazy as an outhouse rat.

Either way, this is going in the wrong direction. Entertaining, but wrong.

At the risk of deepening this sludge pond further, bipolar is disqualifying in the USMC. Also grounds for medical discharge, or dishonorable if the person attempts to hide or skirt the diagnosis after the fact.

Basically, if it's DQ for FAA aeromed, it's DQ for the USMC(with a couple exceptions).

Get to any local airport FBO. Grab as many business cards you want - most will be CFIs looking for students, but all will be willing to talk about a paying flying gig. Call and explain what you are trying to do and why, and listen to their advice. It's a small world. If you sound legit, you'll probably get referrals if the person you are talking to isn't interested. If it's too crazy, word will get out and you'll have to call a lot of people before you find someo who hasn't heard about you.

Also, I wonder if there's anything out there that's light years away from a Cirrus. Seems to me it's all relative.

If you are thinking about smaller airplanes (4-6 seats)...

Light years in technology? Not really

Light years in speed and performance? Yes

Check into the Eclipse Jet or TBM900 or the new Cirrus Jet coming out. Those airplanes were made for someone that can fly the #$%* out of a 172! ;)

It really depends on your wallet. New 172 is less than $400K. A new Cirrus SR22T is $800K. A new TBM900 or Eclipse Jet is in the $3-4 Million range.

If you are for real, look into the Cirrus but I would recommend something like this as it would save you money. https://www.flyimagineair.com/

Plano to Houston TX one way - $6286. In a SR22.

About 90 min flight works out to $70 per MINUTE. In a Cirrus. Not really seeing the savings. :)

Compared to buying a new SR22, Hiring a commercial pilot, Hangar, Insurance, Fuel and Maintenance?? Guess it would depend on how often and how far he needs to fly. I'm pretty sure that company is focused on the east coast, so prob. not a ood example and maybe that's why you are seeing such high rates.

Compared to buying a new SR22, Hiring a commercial pilot, Hangar, Insurance, Fuel and Maintenance?? Guess it would depend on how often and how far he needs to fly. I'm pretty sure that company is focused on the east coast, so prob. not a ood example and maybe that's why you are seeing such high rates.

Well, yes but another way to look at it, is just put up with the TSA. One way DAL-HOU $89, if you add a $11 cab ride, you could go to Houston 63 times or more than 30 round trips for the cost of one trip from those folks. It's all relative. I was expecting maybe $800-1400 or something based in reality of what it costs for the hours, and the pilot, and insurance. I guess they need to amortize the cost of the plane in there.

So, if a new SR22 is $800k, and they charge $6.2k for 90 min flight, then that works out to ~$4200/flight hour. If we take out some ridiculous high amount for direct costs of gas, oil, mx, pilot, reserve of $600/hour that leaves $3600/hour to amortize the plane cost(less accel depr of course). Extending that out, the plane will be fully amortized in 222 flight hours, or about 10% of the TBO on the engine.

Hmmmmm

Nice to see you back amongst us.... Were you able to find satisfactory employment? Or are you still in the oil patch?

I got a contract for work in Santa Barbara for 60 days, but I head home in the AM, so my search continues.

I think what the OP really wants is a fractional share in a small biz jet charter service. Planes with pilots are provided. It would be costly, but no more so than buying a new four place SEL and then paying a lot of standby time for a full time pilot. This is what the wealthy but not filthy rich people that want to do that type of thing do.

Plus, flying, as a passenger, from Houston to Vegas for an evening of poker is quite uncomfortable in a Skyhawk.

And seriously, just chartering a plane from your local FBO gets you exactly the same thing as originally proposed.

I think a biz jet in a fractional program is more expensive than you think.

That said, there are fractional and shared time programs out there in non jet airplanes for much less...

Fly the hell out of a 172? LOL.

In the right hands (ex fighter pilot) you can fly the hell out of a C-172. :D Flying a Skyhawk is like flying a truck.

This turned south pretty quickly! :dunno:
I would suggest to the OP that he hire a pilot and rent a couple different airplanes to see what fits his needs. Yes, I am assuming it's a legit question and not Bryan with a Y. :D

Yeah, right.

I really enjoy the "black belt in martials, an X-Marine" part.

Once a Marine, ALWAYS a Marine. I've never heard of an X-Marine.
And you might as well buy black belts at Marshall's if you think the other part of that statement is meaningful.

Yup. I tried to be a bit more cordial about it, but that was a real giveaway. No Marine would ever call himself(herself) an 'ex-Marine'. You never really leave the corps.

Yup. I tried to be a bit more cordial about it, but that was a real giveaway. No Marine would ever call himself(herself) an 'ex-Marine'. You never really leave the corps.

Which is why we're glad you choose to serve!

And you might as well buy black belts at Marshall's if you think the other part of that statement is meaningful.

He says he's bipolar.

This is consistent.

Never take a bipolar on his "up" phase seriously.

So you'd like to be his commercial pilot in a 172 or SR-22?

Hell, no.

Bipolar AND ADHD?

He won't be able to keep his hands off the controls.

I have some reservations about flying with just ADHD, though I've had passengers like that. It requires some mitigation. Like, seat all the way back on approach, with hands in view on the lap.

Last edited:
This is a funny one if you're in my shoes, so I had to reply; however, Azure, I do appreciate your attempt to help me. Problem is, I'm full-blown bipolar and ADHD. There's no way I'm stable enough to fly an airplane!

Normally I'd suggest Western Air at Metro but since Aspen "bought" them, I don't see the charter option on the website anymore. Nor at McAir.

There are a number of commercial pilots in the Denver area that are not affiliated with a flight school but are available for charter or to be "chauffeurs". I know of 3 right now, but not sure if any want another client. Each has a client (or 2) that they exclusively fly for (one, a King Air). The clients have businesses all over the west and altho each is a rated pilot, they don't want to do all the flying.

I think this is the set up you're looking for.

As for the airplane, a Cessna 172 isn't going to cut it - too slow and with you & a pilot, you'll only be able to take one additional adult and baggage is limited. Pretty much same for the Cirrus altho the Cirrus will have better weather capabilities and speed. Example, in a 172, Denver to Albuquerque is same time door to door as Frontier but you have the better schedule - unless weather sets in. Denver to Las Vegas is better on Frontier - faster & cheaper. Sorry, but there are times when commercial really is more practical regardless how much we hate it.

Anytime I need to go east of the Mississippi (other than OSH), it's commercial. It's usually just not cost effective or time effective in a C172 or equivalent. If you have the time and $$$ that's a different story.

You're best bet is to find a CFI at a local school that wants to build hours by flying you around in your airplane.

OP - no reason you can't buy a plane, hire a pilot and get shuttled around like you are suggesting. It's the only way to do the big jets, very common in the lighter jets/turboprop, less common at the higher end of the piston GA spectrum and would raise eyebrows at the bottom of the GA ladder. I think that is why you are getting this reaction - If you were talking about buying a piston twin, cabin class 6 seater or perhaps a Cirrus and hiring someone, it would be one thing, but buying a slow trainer (i.e. cheap plane) and then spending the money on a pilot seems strange.

So perhaps you could tell us more about your mission:
- What type of trips - passengers, length, flexible or not, time of year, etc...
- Frequency
- Rough idea of budget - upfront and annually

With that, you might get some better answers. There's a guy on my field who owns an older Piper Malibu (6 seat pressurized piston airplane - probably worth $300-400K) and has a full time pilot. I also occasionally hire someone to fly my girlfriend on trips in my Cirrus when I can't go with her - but that is one off, not a full time situation. So it may well be feasible for you depending on mission and budget.

Back