How do corporate pilots get/stay night current?

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
It's that time of year when I start getting a lot of calls from clients about getting night current.

In a light single or multi-engine piston, it's generally no big deal to fire it up and get in a few landings at night. But it got me wondering how is this generally done in larger aircraft. The airline pilots probably get enough night operations to stay current anyway, and they have a whole system of recurrent training and simulators to help if needed.

But what about the corporate guys? The contract jet pilot guys? 61.57b requires the 3 takeoffs and landings to be in category, class and type for type-rating-required airplanes. Maybe the owner/boss only flies a few times a month. Some landings may be at night, especially in the winter, but most takeoffs are probably in the day, especially in October/November.

And if you're type-rated (and actively flying) on two different types, you need to be night current in both.

Do the pilots take the plane up empty for a few laps around the pattern some night? Flock down to FlightSafety or CAE for an hour in the simulator? Is it different for a salaried pilot versus a contract pilot? How does this work?

If you have to get night current, you take the airplane out and do it. I had to do that 3 times in 90 days at one job.

Since then, however, the FAA has come up with 61.57(e) alternate night currency that helps a lot...6 night takeoffs and landings in the Sim has you good for a year, provided you meet certain other requirements.

Last edited:
Probably the same as I do in 135 helos. I’ve had to take the aircraft up by myself at night for currency (HNVGO) a couple of times.

If you have to get night current, you take the airplane out and do it. I had to do that 3 times in 90 days at one job.

Since then, however, the FAA has come up with 61.57(e) alternate night currency that helps a lot...6 night takeoffs and landings in the Sim has you good for a year, provided you meet certain other requirements.

Very interesting! I had stopped reading after 61.57b because then it went on to IFR currency stuff.

Paraphrasing 61.57e(i) and (ii), then, for a two-person crew turbine airplane, if you have:
- 1500 total hours
- are day current IN TYPE
- have 15 hours IN TYPE in the last 90 days

then:
- 3 night takeoffs/landings are only needed in the last 6 months (in ANY two-person crew type), OR
- within the last 12 months have completed a part 142 training program and done at least 6 night takeoffs/landings in the sim (in ANY two-person crew type)

I imagine since annual recurrency training is required anyway, most active pilots won't have a problem.

But this only applies to two-person crew airplanes. I guess the single-pilot guys still have to meet the 61.57b requirement of 3 every 90 days?

Last edited:
Very interesting! I had stopped reading after 61.57b because then it went on to IFR currency stuff.

Paraphrasing 61.57e(i) and (ii), then, for a two-person crew turbine airplane, if you have:
- 1500 total hours
- are day current IN TYPE
- have 15 hours IN TYPE in the last 90 days

then:
- 3 night takeoffs/landings are only needed in the last 6 months (in ANY two-person crew type), OR
- within the last 12 months have completed a part 142 training program and done at least 6 night takeoffs/landings (in ANY two-person crew type)

I imagine since annual recurrency training is required anyway, most active pilots won't have a problem.

But this only applies to two-person crew airplanes. I guess the single-pilot guys still have to meet the 61.57b requirement of 3 every 90 days?

There not many single pilot due to insurance requirements.

I did it in the sim once. I was a 135 pilot at the time and the client insisted that all flights be on the ground at sun set. No T.O. more than 30 minutes before sun rise. Not being night current limited over time chances. This was at Flight Safety. We usually took our company Check Airmen with us to KPBI and they were qualified to instruct in the sim. I made my request for night currency before the session started. Norm (we used to crew together) said "OK, all tasks done , lets get nite current."

He "moved" us to 15 miles out on one of the ILS's at KIAH and made it night. Then dialed in WX zero obscured, one quarter mile fog and hit go. I had just done a bunch of these in the regular session. Then he blew up one of my engines and set me on fire. Then I lost an inverter and yaw dampner. got down OK. Back out to 15 miles final and we started in. Called for the landing checklist and gear wouldn't extend. while coping with that, another engine failure. Made the RW OK. Norm said "That's two, lets try a different RW." Started in and got an elec fire, smoke in the cockpit and loss of dual inverters. Had to go on the stand by steam gauges. Then I lost my tail rotor, Type was a Sikorsky 76 Charlie Plus.

Last edited:

This.

7 type ratings all done with this night currency “waiver” above by compliance with 61.57(e). Never had to deal with the 90 day issue due to this sign off on my FSI paperwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. This is what we did when I was doing that type of flying. Flight Safety every six months took care of it.

Local company here has 3 KA 200s. Pilots are Pt 91. When it is time to get current they just take a plane and do their 3 landings. For instrument currency one of the other pilots sits right seat as a safety pilot and they do what they need to do, then change seats.

Once a year they go somewhere for sim training for insurance.

Back