How can I make a ton of money legally without a lot of work

Certainly, landlords can and do take advantage of their positions and must be held to account. I have no problems with having the tenants attorney or legal aid call me. All I want is to be paid for the time they lived in my property, and the cost of any damage they caused beyond normal wear and tear. Pretty simple really.

The point is you were under the impression laws favored tenants. I proved to you that is simply not true.

More importanly, you are missing the point of the OPs question and my responses. ;)

Isn't that true for renters too, no evictions until April 1st??

Nope. If you pay you'll stay, if you don't you won't. I just had the Sheriff move out a tenant 4 weeks ago. It was cold! Too bad, so sad! He should have paid the rent instead of getting hooked on meth. :dunno:

Last edited:
Oh, I understand. I watched my dad and brother do this. Yeah, they made a ton of money, and my brother still does. But it was a HELL of a lot of work. So, unless they did it all wrong, I stand by my statement. It isn't as easy as you make it sound.

You can stand by your statement all you want, doesn't make it right. If you want to believe that by all means do so. More money for me. ;)

As for your father and brother it all depends on what their business model was / is. Buy, fix up and sell / rent is one way. It's a great way to build the 20% you need down. Called "sweat equity". :dunno:

That's what I use to do, slowing down a little now, too busy flying RVs. ;)

I don't do lazy. :no:

Last edited:
Ok I will change my answer from laws to courts favor the renters. I can tell you stories on just how the courts ruled and friends(landlord) got screwed. But enough thread creep.
Back to OP yea you can make money.

Ok I will change my answer from laws to courts favor the renters. I can tell you stories on just how the courts ruled and friends(landlord) got screwed. But enough thread creep.
Back to OP yea you can make money.

Stories are just that, stories.

See post #26 paragraph #2. :D

I have enough stories to write 2 books. ;)

I don't see where anybody mentioned the obvious.
Marry a rich girl.

Stories are just that, stories.

See post #26 paragraph #2. :D

I have enough stories to write 2 books. ;)

Yep you have stories I have stories Greg has stories.
Like you said they are just stories :)

Not a lot of these can be done without a lot of work, but the "not working or deceased" category might be what you're after:

who_are_450_0.png
That chart can't be right. There are pilots on it. :D

Many public sector jobs offer such opportunities, however the best money is in the first responder area, which unfortunately does require work, especially in the beginning.

In many cities, you can retire with full benefits after only twenty years, along with picking up a paycheck that exceeds what your earned while on the job.. If you get on board at a young enough age, you can do what is called double dipping, and end up with two full pensions by the time you are in your early sixties or sooner.

Plenty of workday breaks, paid days off, sick time off, vacation time, overtime pay, bonuses and a host of other benefits. After five or six years on the job, you might find yourself in a position of all you have to do is holler and point.

-John

Your definition of "a ton of money" and mine are a wide chasm apart.

No, that is dad's.
He got into computers in the 70's I got into them in 2000
So I fly his plane. No complaints but he doesn't fly all that much so I sort of feel like I am running up his hobbs meter. I get to fly for the price of fuel and I keep it sparkling clean for him but I have no equity in it.

I am going to buy my own plane one day.

That sounds really good !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As for your father and brother it all depends on what their business model was / is. Buy, fix up and sell / rent is one way. It's a great way to build the 20% you need down. Called "sweat equity". :dunno:
We're working on buying a house that will make a great rental. Right now the place is a shambles. Good house, but no one has done anything (right) to it in probably 30 years. If we get the bank that owns it to see the light we'll pick it up for well under what it could be worth, spend a few weeks and $15K on a complete renovation, and have the nicest house on the block to rent out. All new floors, paint, windows, kitchen, bathroom, light switches, outlets, fixtures, appliances, the works. In 60 days it will be worth more than we will have in it. In less than 15 years it will be paid for, all by renters. I figure a few more done the same way should be a pretty good little investment.

Right now the bank seems to think it's worth about $10-12K more than I'm willing to pay for it. Realtor says, hey, they have to get their money out of it. Well, no, they don't. We did our homework on the place. The original owner had it paid off, and basically gave it to one of the kids. She took loans out on it that she couldn't pay, now the bank has it. Not our fault they were stupid and greedy enough to either make bad loans, or buy bad loans. I have zero sympathy for anyone involved, except the poor guy who worked his butt off for 30 years to pay for that house only to see his kid lose it.

But I digress. We have some friends who own half a dozen rentals, and they have very few problems with renters. They have minimum requirements (income, job, etc), do credit checks and generally have their stuff together. It's worked well for them since the 1970s. We'll give it a shot.

There are some pilot jobs that start at $40k a week, and can pay a couple million a trip once you start financing the load.
Sure, but would you classify them as pilots or smugglers/drug dealers? And still... .2% of the top 1% would be somewhere around 5500 pilots making over $389K AGI. Reported income, remember. Seems high to me.

Sure, but would you classify them as pilots or smugglers/drug dealers? And still... .2% of the top 1% would be somewhere around 5500 pilots making over $389K AGI. Reported income, remember. Seems high to me.

If they are flying a plane, they are pilots. When they answer on a census form, which do you think they would answer, pilot or smuggler? Besides, I don't see where that chart is limited to the US, plenty of top scale pilots in other parts of the world make that.

When they answer on a census form, which do you think they would answer, pilot or smuggler? .

Just curious -- what does a gangster do when he gets a census form in the mail?

I'd guess most of them don't respond. Although Al Capone showed up in the census, so I'm not sure.

Just curious -- what does a gangster do when he gets a census form in the mail?

I'd guess most of them don't respond. Although Al Capone showed up in the census, so I'm not sure.

You make yourself look like you blend into the community. Yes you would answer it because if you don't, they send someone to your door. Most gangsters you wouldn't know it, many times their family doesn't know it.

Pick the right startup to join.

No, that is dad's.
He got into computers in the 70's I got into them in 2000
So I fly his plane. No complaints but he doesn't fly all that much so I sort of feel like I am running up his hobbs meter. I get to fly for the price of fuel and I keep it sparkling clean for him but I have no equity in it.

I am going to buy my own plane one day.

You're in Dallas, an SAP hub. Connect the dots. :D

A tourist walked into a pet shop and was looking at the animals on display.

While he was there another customer walked in and said to the shopkeeper, ''I'll have that monkey please''.

The shopkeeper nodded, went over to a cage at the side of the shop, and took out a monkey.
He fit a collar and leash and handed it to the customer, saying, ''That'll be $5000''.

The customer paid and walked out with his monkey. Startled, the tourist went over to the shopkeeper and said, ''That was a very expensive monkey. Most of them are only a few hundred dollars. Why did he cost SO much?''

The shopkeeper answered,
''Ah, that monkey can program in 'C' very fast, tight code, no bugs, well worth the money.''

The tourist looked at the monkey in another cage. ''That one's even more expensive - $10,000! What does he do?''

''Oh, that one's a C++ monkey; he can manage object-oriented programming, Visual C++, even some Java. All the really useful stuff,'' said the shopkeeper.

The tourist looked around for a little longer and saw a third monkey in a cage of his own. The price tag around his neck read $50,000. He gasped to the shopkeeper, ''That one costs more than all the others put together! What on earth does he do?''

The shopkeeper shrugged and said,
''Well, to tell you the truth, I haven't actually seen him do anything, but he says he's a SAP consultant.

Many public sector jobs offer such opportunities, however the best money is in the first responder area, which unfortunately does require work, especially in the beginning.

In many cities, you can retire with full benefits after only twenty years, along with picking up a paycheck that exceeds what your earned while on the job.. If you get on board at a young enough age, you can do what is called double dipping, and end up with two full pensions by the time you are in your early sixties or sooner.

Plenty of workday breaks, paid days off, sick time off, vacation time, overtime pay, bonuses and a host of other benefits. After five or six years on the job, you might find yourself in a position of all you have to do is holler and point.

-John

This. Police and Fire in S florida typically have 6 figure annual pensions after 20-30 yrs.

This. Police and Fire in S florida typically have 6 figure annual pensions after 20-30 yrs.
Omaha has, over the past decade or so, had a problem with the police contract. Apparently negotiated with union reps on both sides of the table, it allowed some pretty flagrant abuses. One is a practice known as "spiking", where your retirement pay is based on the highest position you've held and/or highest pay you've received in the past X years - including OT, shift differential, all kinds of extras. So, you're appointed "acting Chief of Police" for a day while the chief is out of town? Great, you just got chief retirement pay. For life. We've had cops retiring on pensions bigger than most working peoples' paychecks.

But let's assume he wants to make an honest living.

Omaha has, over the past decade or so, had a problem with the police contract. Apparently negotiated with union reps on both sides of the table, it allowed some pretty flagrant abuses. One is a practice known as "spiking", where your retirement pay is based on the highest position you've held and/or highest pay you've received in the past X years - including OT, shift differential, all kinds of extras. So, you're appointed "acting Chief of Police" for a day while the chief is out of town? Great, you just got chief retirement pay. For life. We've had cops retiring on pensions bigger than most working peoples' paychecks.

But let's assume he wants to make an honest living.

In NY, if you are part of the club, you get to put in for all the overtime you can possibly do and its always approved if your almost ready to retire. This way, they take the last 3 years to calculate your pension. It's a sweet scam. If you are lucky enough to be part of it.

Come talk to me about Auto and Truck recycling someday.

Still requires effort, but on the times when things are working well, a 45% COGS is very achievable.

You make yourself look like you blend into the community. Yes you would answer it because if you don't, they send someone to your door. Most gangsters you wouldn't know it, many times their family doesn't know it.

...and how would you know?

We're working on buying a house that will make a great rental. Right now the place is a shambles. Good house, but no one has done anything (right) to it in probably 30 years. If we get the bank that owns it to see the light we'll pick it up for well under what it could be worth, spend a few weeks and $15K on a complete renovation, and have the nicest house on the block to rent out. All new floors, paint, windows, kitchen, bathroom, light switches, outlets, fixtures, appliances, the works. In 60 days it will be worth more than we will have in it. In less than 15 years it will be paid for, all by renters. I figure a few more done the same way should be a pretty good little investment.

Right now the bank seems to think it's worth about $10-12K more than I'm willing to pay for it. Realtor says, hey, they have to get their money out of it. Well, no, they don't. We did our homework on the place. The original owner had it paid off, and basically gave it to one of the kids. She took loans out on it that she couldn't pay, now the bank has it. Not our fault they were stupid and greedy enough to either make bad loans, or buy bad loans. I have zero sympathy for anyone involved, except the poor guy who worked his butt off for 30 years to pay for that house only to see his kid lose it.

But I digress. We have some friends who own half a dozen rentals, and they have very few problems with renters. They have minimum requirements (income, job, etc), do credit checks and generally have their stuff together. It's worked well for them since the 1970s. We'll give it a shot.

Do this 3 times a year and retire in 10 - 12 years and just fly and collect rents...... Kinda. :lol:

Don't become emotionally attached to the house. Rentals are assets that make money. If you can buy the house right fine, if not move on. Carpet, paint, maybe counter tops. If it needs a kitchen & bath (other than paint, and a $150 tub surround) look for another house.

Last edited:
Be very selective in choosing your parents. Persuade them you don't need siblings. Then keep them out of the hospital and nursing home.

The key is underpants.

Don't become emotionally attached to the house. Rentals are assets that make money. If you can buy the house right fine, if not move on. Carpet, paint, maybe counter tops. If it needs a kitchen & bath (other than paint, and a $150 tub surround) look for another house.
We were willing to do the kitchen, bath and basement if we could get it at or close to what we offered. Found out today apparently someone else was dumber, smarter or willing to make a whole lot less on the deal -- they have an offer pending. :dunno: There are plenty of others on the market. We're expanding our search area to include to the outskirts of the combat zone, where we can buy close to two houses for the cost of the one we were looking at.

I can have a renter locked out in less than 30 days, get a judgment for the amount owed including damages, and have their car towed or their pay check garnished within days.
I own 80 some units of apartments. We have evicted numerous tenants over the years. Every time we have won the unlawful detainer, got a judgement and the tenant out, although not within 30 days in Tennessee.
What we have not been successful at is collecting on the judgement; this has been true in virtually every single case.
How do you have their car towed?
Do you use a collection agency? None we have found were worth anything.

Back