How can a VFR pilot fly through IMC? Like on the way to OSH for example

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
If an over gross plane were to be flown by a student, carrying a passenger, to OSH, carrying explosives and Hazmat goods could the post solo VFR pilot legally go through IMC?

Does it make a difference if it s a really respectable airplane?

Just wondering how that works? Like If the pilot tells them "I fly a real head turner and want SVFR" could it be done that way?

Also If the pilot is carrying alcohol, how does that work? I know it is "8 hours bottle to throttle" but what if the throttle part comes first? Could the pilot have a beer in flight or would he/she have to fly at cruise speed for 8 hours before they could reduce the throttle and descend?

And sorry if this has been asked before. I didn't find anything in my search.

Just questions I have always wondered about.

You forgot his new uncertified airplane was powered by lithium batteries

All that's required is a flight plan.

Easy question. I do this all the time. Shut transponder off fly at IFR altitudes and while still in vmc sneak up and fly trail formation on a slower plane going the same way. Listen to approach to confirm you are going where you want to.

If you do the whole thing under the hood without a safety pilot, who cares if it's IMC? You'd never know.

If you do the whole thing under the hood without a safety pilot, who cares if it's IMC? You'd never know.

Can one legally do spins under the hood?
I want to spin the whole way there.

did your examiner have his fly open? (joke from old thread)

did your examiner have his fly open? (joke from old thread)

No, but he was playing "angry birds" on his iPhone during the entire checkride.

I know this, because I recorded the entire checkride with 10 strategically placed GoPros...

Bottle to Throttle is just that. Feel free to ask Ron to site the reg.

That is why I use the mixture, prop, carb heat, and slip with flaps to decend. No Throttle needed, just cut the mixture on short final.

If an over gross plane were to be flown by a student, carrying a passenger, to OSH, carrying explosives and Hazmat goods could the post solo VFR pilot legally go through IMC?

Just wondering how that works? Like If the pilot tells them "I fly a real head turner and want SVFR" could it be done that way?

Also If the pilot is carrying alcohol, how does that work? I know it is "8 hours bottle to throttle" but what if the throttle part comes first? Could the pilot have a beer in flight or would he/she have to fly at cruise speed for 8 hours before they could reduce the throttle and descend?

EPIC!!!

Can that pilot record the time as PIC and SIC then?

Last edited:
Well I probably need to give back a little so I am happy to help out and answer some of these questions.

Well no a VFR pilot has to maintain a certain cloud separation. I'm surprised you don't know this.

No unfortunately not it will probably make things worse in fact. Kind of like if you get pulled over in a Ferrari. The cop is going to stick it to you. So flying a respectable plane you're probably going to get it stuck to you even more so.

Maybe but would still need to remain clear of the clouds.

Also If the pilot is carrying alcohol, how does that work?

Allowed.

I know it is "8 hours bottle to throttle" but what if the throttle part comes first?

Allowed. How else do you get to have a well deserved fine alcoholic beverage following a flight?

Could the pilot have a beer in flight
Yes but then would have to transfer PICship to someone else.

or would he/she have to fly at cruise speed for 8 hours before they could reduce the throttle and descend?

Absolutely not.

Glad I could be of help. And also glad I am an endless source of material for you to make fun of. So were you the kind of kid who made fun of the fat kid in the class, or the one with the speech impediment? Bet you were...

Have fun.

If a plane has an 800 mile range and but I need to go 850 and don't want to stop for fuel, can I find someone else to draft nascar style to get better fuel economy?

And if the wienerdog is in the right seat - can he log PIC (pup in command)?

If a plane has an 800 mile range and but I need to go 850 and don't want to stop for fuel, can I find someone else to draft nascar style to get better fuel economy?

Depending on your glide ratio, if you can get high enough, it will not be a problem.

Glad I could be of help. And also glad I am an endless source of material for you to make fun of....

Have fun.

Thank you for understanding, and we will have fun!

Your blessing means the world to us. :lol::lol:

Yes but then would have to transfer PICship to someone else.

Wrong, you can just have your passenger handle the throttle. You need the right hand to hold the beer anyway, so it's win-win (and that's actually the intent of the regulation).

Wrong, you can just have your passenger handle the throttle. You need the right hand to hold the beer anyway, so it's win-win (and that's actually the intent of the regulation).

For some reason, holding a beer with my right hand feels really weird. But so does holding the yoke with the right hand.

Unless it's a stick, that feels okay. I guess I could fly with my right hand, drink with my left, and let the only very slightly underaged Latina work the throttle.

I'm thinking all this would be okay providing you bought your respectable aircraft and fuel using BitCoin..

What ever happened to that dude?

Two words........ Autopilot

Make sure you register a passenger list with the airport, check for engine sagging, and take off from a treadmill.

Back