how big of a difference is it from a 172m to a 182m-q regarding Mx and repairs?

Get the 182
Get a plane WITH the avionics that you are going to want already installed.
Let someone else pay the depreciation of the radios.

I just passed on an older 210 with a brand new GTN 750 because the owner wanted full price he paid for it. Sorry but it drops approximately 50% almost immediately according to my apprasial friend.

Find a good mechanic that won't listen to your drooling (don't fall in love and look over warts) and pay for a good pre-buy. There are so many planes out there. Be patient.

I just need to decide if a 182 isn't going to be too much plane for a fresh PPL. Maybe I'll buy a 172 and use it for IFR training, then sell it when I build enough time and buy a 182.

That's what the rudder trim is for. Crank it a little to the right for takeoff and you'll only need a little rudder.

Even if you don't do that, you get used to it and your foot moving with the throttle becomes totally automatic. Just hold the centerline.

It's not some screaming 500 hp radial or anything.

that's true

I just need to decide if a 182 isn't going to be too much plane for a fresh PPL. Maybe I'll buy a 172 and use it for IFR training, then sell it when I build enough time and buy a 182.

No need. Just find an instructor who knows the 182 well. Biggest concern is a student landing it on the nosewheel since that can damage the firewall. The gear is rugged. You'll be flying it well below max gross weight. It is very docile in stalls, and recovers nicely. It'll actually fly slower on approach than a 172 more comfortably and feeling a lot more stable overall. You have two extra engine levers to learn, the prop, and the cowl flaps.

People have learned to fly in twins. A C-182 should be a walk in the park.

No need. Just find an instructor who knows the 182 well. Biggest concern is a student landing it on the nosewheel since that can damage the firewall. The gear is rugged. You'll be flying it well below max gross weight. It is very docile in stalls, and recovers nicely. It'll actually fly slower on approach than a 172 more comfortably and feeling a lot more stable overall. You have two extra engine levers to learn, the prop, and the cowl flaps.

People have learned to fly in twins. A C-182 should be a walk in the park.

I have heard the 182 is very stable, I didn't realize it was just as easy to land.

As far as the cowl flaps and prop, They both seem to have very simple theories of operation.

Just two more things on the before landing and take off check lists right?

I flew in a 172 yesterday and every time I get in them after my 205 which is like a 182 sorta, I forget how much smaller inside they are and how much difference the extra power makes.

If you can fly a 172 well, you can learn to fly a 182. After 10 or so hours you will be as good in it as you are in the 172. They fly a lot alike. Have similar visibility...Feel the same, only heavier...

If you can fly a 172 well, you can learn to fly a 182. After 10 or so hours you will be as good in it as you are in the 172. They fly a lot alike. Have similar visibility...Feel the same, only heavier...

that's good to know. Seems like a 182 would be a better bang for the buck for me.

I have heard the 182 is very stable, I didn't realize it was just as easy to land.

As far as the cowl flaps and prop, They both seem to have very simple theories of operation.

Just two more things on the before landing and take off check lists right?

If you're staying in the pattern you could honestly ignore both and fly it like a Skyhawk. It wouldn't care. Your instructor could easily just let you "get away with" ignoring the prop and the cowl flaps until they decided you were doing okay and needed a little more to do. ;)

I learned to fly in a C182, it worked out well for me. I flew that plane for 8 years before I bought a CT210.

If you're staying in the pattern you could honestly ignore both and fly it like a Skyhawk. It wouldn't care. Your instructor could easily just let you "get away with" ignoring the prop and the cowl flaps until they decided you were doing okay and needed a little more to do. ;)

That is a good point, I guess technically I could never use the prop knob or close the cowl flaps.

It's remembering the cowl flaps. If they are closed and you need cooling, the engine can overheat. It's not hard to push or pull the knob :)

It's remembering the cowl flaps. If they are closed and you need cooling, the engine can overheat. It's not hard to push or pull the knob :)

So a handy sticker next to the oil temp gauge that reads. TOO HOT, COWL FLAPs. :D

Also, what's the big deal with the prop control?

You'll start by moving the throttle lever back until the manifold pressure gauge reads the proper value; in the case of our 182 we're looking for 23 inches. Then you'll slowly rotate the blue knob until the rpm comes back to 2,400. This is the cruise climb setting for a Cessna 182Q.

Then adjust for specific power settings/fuel burn and that's it?

Seems awfully simple, and a check list should cover the put the blue knob back in reminder?

It's not a big deal. You just have to remember to push it in before landing so it's in for a go around.

I wouldn't worry about it, it's just a slightly larger 172, I'd have zero hesitation training someone from 0 time, first solo, etc in a 182.

If you can't figure a 182 out off the bat, maybe you should think about maybe taking up golf instead ;)

I could MAYBE take one lap around the pattern like that, don't think I could handle two with the cowl flaps open on decent and the prop full forward, I'd loose it lol!

Besides, with a good CFI, and 10 laps or so in the pattern, the cowl flaps and prop just become second nature, you're I won't even have to think about it to pull the prop back on downwind and adjust flaps.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it, it's just a slightly larger 172, I'd have zero hesitation training someone from 0 time, first solo, etc in a 182.

If you can't figure a 182 out off the bat, maybe you should think about maybe taking up golf instead ;)

I could MAYBE take one lap around the pattern like that, don't think I could handle two with the cowl flaps open on decent and the prop full forward, I'd loose it lol!

Besides, with a good CFI, and 10 laps or so in the pattern, the cowl flaps and prop just become second nature, you're I won't even have to think about it to pull the prop back on downwind and adjust flaps.

that makes me feel better about thinking about buying a 182.

I really don't want to buy a 172 then have to deal with selling it and then buy a 182 shortly after.

I don't mind doing some upgrades to a 182 since I would keep that plane for a long time since it would fit all my missions.

Its just another knob...

On the ones I fly, cowl flaps is a lever and it's located below the mixture knob. That makes the flow of my right hand easy to remember: to point the nose up, lift the nose up (i.e. pull the cowl flaps lever up, adjust the mixture on the right, adjust the prop knob in the middle, adjust the throttle knob on the left); to point the nose down, push the nose down (i.e. adjust the throttle knob on the left, adjust the prop knob in the middle, adjust the mixture knob on the right, push the cowl flaps lever down).

On the ones I fly, cowl flaps is a lever and it's located below the mixture knob. That makes the flow of my right hand easy to remember: to point the nose up, lift the nose up (i.e. pull the cowl flaps lever up, adjust the mixture on the right, adjust the prop knob in the middle, adjust the throttle knob on the left); to point the nose down, push the nose down (i.e. adjust the throttle knob on the left, adjust the prop knob in the middle, adjust the mixture knob on the right, push the cowl flaps lever down).

This is all going on while landing?:eek:

This is all going on while landing?:eek:

Takeoff: I'm going to point the nose up, so lift the nose up.
Cruise: I'm going to point the nose down, so push the nose down.
Descent: I'm going to point the nose down, so push the nose down.
On base before turning final: This is going to be a go-around (or landing flare), so prepare to point the nose up by lifting the nose up.

You can also think about the cowl flaps as "undercarriage" when you do your GUMPS check. Starting with the fuel selector (Gas), move your hand up to the cowl flaps lever (Undercarriage), then up more to the Mixture, then to the left for Prop.

Takeoff: I'm going to point the nose up, so lift the nose up.
Cruise: I'm going to point the nose down, so push the nose down.
Descent: I'm going to point the nose down, so push the nose down.
On base before turning final: This is going to be a go-around (or landing flare), so prepare to point the nose up by lifting the nose up.

You can also think about the cowl flaps as "undercarriage" when you do your GUMPS check. Starting with the fuel selector (Gas), move your hand up to the cowl flaps lever (Undercarriage), then up more to the Mixture, then to the left for Prop.

that makes sense now, I thought all of this was going back in forth in the pattern.

But logically it makes sense when you explain it like that.

So, basically, in the pattern, same thing as the 172 except you open the cowl flaps for more air and then push the prop lever in just in case you need to go around?

Basically the cowl flaps provide more cooling when you are going slow, i.e. pattern work?
The prop control when pulled out gives you more pitch so you can get better efficiency out of the engine?

Last edited:
It's like driving stick, do you really think about every aspect of shifting and each gear and RPM range, operating the clutch, changing the throttle..

Or do you just drive?

Same deal, with a complex.

It's like driving stick, do you really think about every aspect of shifting and each gear and RPM range, operating the clutch, changing the throttle..

Or do you just drive?

Same deal, with a complex.

So with enough time, it becomes intuitive?

So with enough time, it becomes intuitive?

Yes.

And if you're a even somewhat sharp guy, if you know mechanical things, ride motorcycles, jet skis, heck drive stick, it'll be second nature in no time.

Only thing I'd recommend is getting a experienced and recommend CFI, a good teacher makes things simple, and this isn't even that complicated to start with.

Don't worry about it, buy the 182 if that's what you want.

From my experience, having flown 172p for a while, the transition to my new (to me) 182 only took a few hours. Handling the cowl flaps and propeller is very intuitive, and it becomes natural in no time. Perhaps the most important difference is the need to trim the 182 to make a flare without excessive effort with the wheel. (Clearly the greatest weight in the nose).
But it is a fantastic lady. Never complaint, not even when you are not at your best. ;)

did you remember anytime where you wish you would have been in a 172?
No. When you learn in a 182 the prop and cowl flaps are normal, you don't think about them. I never thought about what a 172 (or any other plane) did or didn't have.

Yes.

And if you're a even somewhat sharp guy, if you know mechanical things, ride motorcycles, jet skis, heck drive stick, it'll be second nature in no time.

Only thing I'd recommend is getting a experienced and recommend CFI, a good teacher makes things simple, and this isn't even that complicated to start with.

Don't worry about it, buy the 182 if that's what you want.

If that's the case, I think I'd be fine, My CFI is top notch.

From my experience, having flown 172p for a while, the transition to my new (to me) 182 only took a few hours. Handling the cowl flaps and propeller is very intuitive, and it becomes natural in no time. Perhaps the most important difference is the need to trim the 182 to make a flare without excessive effort with the wheel. (Clearly the greatest weight in the nose).
But it is a fantastic lady. Never complaint, not even when you are not at your best. ;)

I actually need to work on honing that skill in the 172 I fly.

Hi midcap.

A lot of good information here. Like a lot of folks have said, a C-182 is heavier on the controls, and you have to fiddle with the prop, manifold pressure and cowl flaps, but those are really just small things. A 182 is roomier, faster, more stable and you are more likely to find one pretty well equipped for instrument flight. For regular use like you are talking about and the distance of the legs on your triangle, I think you would be much happier with a 182. You will save money by not having to trade airplanes in two or three years.

Hi midcap.

A lot of good information here. Like a lot of folks have said, a C-182 is heavier on the controls, and you have to fiddle with the prop, manifold pressure and cowl flaps, but those are really just small things. A 182 is roomier, faster, more stable and you are more likely to find one pretty well equipped for instrument flight. For regular use like you are talking about and the distance of the legs on your triangle, I think you would be much happier with a 182. You will save money by not having to trade airplanes in two or three years.

That's what I was figuring also, I'd hate to buy a 172 just to sell it in a few years.

LOL I'm just explaining away his worry about it. CFI can handle a couple of the knobs until the student gets past the initial "what the hell IS all this STUFF?!" phase.

Any CFI would have him working all the levers in short order. Haha. Shhh. Don't tell him. ;)

Let the student fly juggling a couple of balls first, then when they're comfortable, toss them another ball to juggle.

Keep adding balls until they say, "Hey, when did I learn to juggle 12 balls at once?" ;)

And of course as others have mentioned, it can be introduced quite early as a flow. Like you're helping with it and saying it out loud from the checklist on flight number one, but they don't have to deal with it, by flight two it's already something they've seen demonstrated and not new.

Cowl flaps and prop wouldn't take long and would be an easy inclusion right from the start. But we'll keep that a secret and tell him he can ignore them at first.

First meaning, flight number one. Hahaha. Shhhhh!

It's so simple a cave man could do it. Which explains why I'm a 182 driver. The airplane is incredibly forgiving of stupidity or just having a bad day.

The only thing it's not forgiving about is landing on the nosewheel. So we never do that and shouldn't anyway. ;)

LOL I'm just explaining away his worry about it. CFI can handle a couple of the knobs until the student gets past the initial "what the hell IS all this STUFF?!" phase.

Any CFI would have him working all the levers in short order. Haha. Shhh. Don't tell him. ;)

Let the student fly juggling a couple of balls first, then when they're comfortable, toss them another ball to juggle.

Keep adding balls until they say, "Hey, when did I learn to juggle 12 balls at once?" ;)

And of course as others have mentioned, it can be introduced quite early as a flow. Like you're helping with it and saying it out loud from the checklist on flight number one, but they don't have to deal with it, by flight two it's already something they've seen demonstrated and not new.

Cowl flaps and prop wouldn't take long and would be an easy inclusion right from the start. But we'll keep that a secret and tell him he can ignore them at first.

It's so simple a cave man could do it. Which explains why I'm a 182 driver. The airplane is incredibly forgiving of stupidity or just having a bad day.

The only thing it's not forgiving about is landing on the nosewheel. So we never do that and shouldn't anyway. ;)
Fly a Cherokee, landing on the nosewheel can be okay....a few times...

I took a catfish flyer up once and let him land the 'kota. We bounced off the nose several times...I know I have no clue about flying anything bigger but it was funnier than hell.

Fly a Cherokee, landing on the nosewheel can be okay....a few times...

I took a catfish flyer up once and let him land the 'kota. We bounced off the nose several times...I know I have no clue about flying anything bigger but it was funnier than hell.

That's just bad fundamentals, never had a student land nose wheel first or PIO.

Sounds like I should be able to fly a 182 no problem then. :D

I taught a non-pilot (the camera operator) to land a 206. He went on to take flying lessons in a 172 and his comment to me was that he had to get used to the lightness of the controls. For the most part, if you learn in a certain airplane, others feel foreign to you at first.

This might be the most confusing thing ever wrote.

Back