Horrific crash in CT

mscard88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
Just saw on ABC News. Said dad and son were doing landings. Completely engulfed in flames. Probably a plastic airplane but couldn't tell from video. Son got out, dad passed. That's all I know. RIP.

Sometimes I think I shouldn't fly anymore.

Looks like one hard landing,may He Rest In Peace,hopefully the son will survive and have a full recovery.

It was during the second set of landings that the plane bounced, became airborne, rolled to the left, came back down, passed through a fence, skidded into the road and caught fire, according to Todd Gunther, of the NTSB.

Sad to see this.

Is it just me, or does it seem like there have been more crashes that usual lately.

Just in Connecticut since 2016 (that I remember) we've had
1. This one at Meriden
2. Luscombe at East Windsor last week
3. American Flight Academy crash in East Haven
4. American Flight Academy crash in East Hartford (twin)
5. Flying Flea crash in Waterbury
6. Seaplane crash after taking off from Goodspeed in Haddam

Be safe out there.

Condolences to the doctor and his family. May he rest in peace, and I hope his son has a complete recovery. I can't even imagine what his son must be going through. :(

Touch and goes are stupid and dangerous. IMO.

No they're not. I've done plenty as a pilot, and as a CFI w/ students. Never had an incident due to T&Gs, nor any of my students.

Now nothing wrong with FS landings and taxi back either. But T&Gs are not dangerous.
They are certainly higher risk than full stop

No they're not. I've done plenty as a pilot, and as a CFI w/ students. Never had an incident due to T&Gs, nor any of my students.

Now nothing wrong with FS landings and taxi back either. But T&Gs are not dangerous.

Way back in the summer of 1969 I was working on my grandfathers farm to earn pocket money. The local regional airport was a couple of miles away, and most days there was a short body DC-8 in the livery of one of the airlines doing circuits/T&Gs. Ah, the days when fuel was cheap and flight simulators didn't have microprocessors.

I thought that was the coolest thing. Until Airshow weekend in August and the 8 was grounded to make room for Art Scholl, Bob Hoover, the F4s wielded by the Blue Angels and so much more great stuff too long to list. The GM dealer provided a fleet of bright orange Pontiac GTO convertibles for the performers and Airshow VIPs. Ah, when gas was cheap...

Maybe this is the place or not to ponder something.
It seems there are a number of incidents where someone passes and someone survives.

I don't feel like I ever hear of or read an interview from the survivor.
Remember the Student / CFI that went down last year and speculation was the student was suicidal and tried to kill them.

That was the first that popped in my head but I dig through all the databases reading up on accidents.
I'm kind of always hoping to find a write up from the survivor of what went on and how things unfolded.

Seems there is not that level of follow up. I really like the AOPA True Pilot Stories and I feel like there is a lot more opportunity to learn about how things took place from reading survivor accounts.

It seems there are a number of incidents where someone passes and someone survives.

Remember the Student / CFI that went down last year and speculation was the student was suicidal and tried to kill them.

That was the first that popped in my head but I dig through all the databases reading up on accidents.
I'm kind of always hoping to find a write up from the survivor of what went on and how things unfolded.

Seems there is not that level of follow up. I really like the AOPA True Pilot Stories and I feel like there is a lot more opportunity to learn about how things took place from reading survivor accounts.

If you search the NTSB docket for the investigation, often you will find that they will have a transcript or a summary of witness interviews. This is available online from your computer at home or work. https://dms.ntsb.gov/pubdms/

S
Is it just me, or does it seem like there have been more crashes that usual lately.

It's spring, people are getting out and doing. Many don't fly much during the cold months. Same thing in the motorcycle community, people get their bikes out after a winter of not riding. Skills deteriorate, some crash. Take it easy while you get back up to speed.

Well using your logic, everything is a risk. Fly safe!
Well it is. But it is often the case that risk and fun are directly related.

Pa flyer is obviously using extreme hyperbole calling t&g's dangerous and stupid. I'm surprised too paflyer doesn't normally make extremely judgmental and broad comments that are obvious trolling.

Well using your logic, everything is then a risk. But you fly anyway. Fly safe!

Flying small planes is a risk.

I don't do T&Gs in a retract. Not so much because I am afraid of death, just the possibility of a $60,000 oopsie. I also dont see that much benefit in doing T&Gs at this point in my flying 'career'. It's not like I dont learn anything during a takeoff from a full stop.

Was this an over-run ?

Doesn't have to be, sometimes just getting reconfigured on the roll can lead to mistakes. Seeing the end of the runway approaching more quickly than you want can make things worse.

Was this an over-run ?
From the witness account, it sounds like maybe a departure stall after a bounced landing go around attempt. Also from the witness account this was the second attempt after a first attempt was a bounced landing and go around.

I got the witness paraphrased info from here: http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2017/04/accident-occurred-april-24-2017-near.html

now, this is coming from NTSB rep paraphrasing a witness and funneled through a reporter, snippet:

Witnesses said that when they saw the plane touch down on the runway, it "appeared to be moving faster than normal" before it bounced twice on the runway and took off again. The plane then "went around the traffic pattern" and "came around again for a second set of landings," according to the NTSB.

During the second set, the aircraft touched down again, this time not as fast, and the aircraft "flared," which means it assumed a landing altitude about 10 to 15 feet above the pavement of the landing.

The aircraft appeared to drop before it bounced twice before it became airborne again and rolled to the left. It then impacted on the ground at about a 90-degree angle

Last edited:
Touch and goes are stupid and dangerous. IMO.

Stupid and dangerous, in your opinion, but... methinks that would be the case if you're a stupid and dangerous pilot. Would that description fit you?

I've touch n goes in most stuff up to a DC-9 and a Lockheed Lodestar, never had an issue with it.

Or are you just trolling?

I don't do T&Gs in a retract. Not so much because I am afraid of death, just the possibility of a $60,000 oopsie. I also dont see that much benefit in doing T&Gs at this point in my flying 'career'. It's not like I dont learn anything during a takeoff from a full stop.

Until you need to abort a landing, for whatever reason.

I would try to pick a wider, longer runways during less busy times to minimize risk

Stupid and dangerous, in your opinion, but... methinks that would be the case if you're a stupid and dangerous pilot. Would that description fit you?

I've touch n goes in most stuff up to a DC-9 and a Lockheed Lodestar, never had an issue with it.

From the witness account the NTSB provided, it seems plausible that he may not have even been trying to do touch and goes, he could have just been trying to land and having issues.

I think this is exactly what you were referring to. It's a half hour video of a float plane accident where the father survived and his son did not. An extremely sobering video that was done by AOPA.

61 whole posts. Who's the troll?

Hmmm. I wonder if a non CFI father was trying to let his non pilot son land it and he did not intercede soon enough when it went bad. Just a crazy speculative unfounded theory which I know many here hate. Sucks regardless.

Sometimes I think I shouldn't fly anymore.
There were around 40 thousand people killed on our highways last year and around 4.5 million injured.

I have never personally seen a plane crash. On Sunday, I saw two separate car crashes involving 4 cars and one motorcycle, with one fatality.

I think I will fly any time it is an option over driving.

The SR22 needs 1900 feet of runway to takeoff and clear a 50 foot obstacle.

That is loaded to capacity at 3600lb. For 2900lb the online POH has 1118ft for sea level and 20C. Unless they flew with jugs of mercury in the luggage compartment, they were closer to the lower number.

Do we know for sure they were trying to do touch and goes, or was it just two botched landings where the second go around failed?

Until you need to abort a landing, for whatever reason.
That's why I do touch and goes. You're not a student, true, but knowing how to quickly reconfigure the plane for TO is a good skill to have, don't want to be fumbling around last minute when someone enters the runway uncleared, you hit a gust and lose stability, etc. It's also good to be able to fly patterns as second nature so you can worry about traffic, ATC, etc.

There were around 40 thousand people killed on our highways last year and around 4.5 million injured.
Agreed. But flying is always an easy target because the perception is that little planes are dangerous. So often I have people ask me "do you were a parachute when you fly those tiny Cessnas?" I'm like, do you wear a helmet when you ride in a car?

One of my data analyst friends at work showed me a study for GA that indicated that by miles traveled GA planes are hands down much safer... but by time cars were actually safer (again restricting this to just GA). I have no idea the veracity of it but that was an interesting thing to think about. You also have co variable factors that aren't necessarily causal. I wouldn't be surprised if almost half your time in a car is spent not moving, or moving less than 10 miles an hour. Hard to have a fatal accident when you're not moving (but possible I guess if you get hit by someone else)

Back