Horrific crash in CT

Not mentioned is the "torque" roll* that slamming in 310 hp all at once can impart. The "smoking hole" from botched go-arounds is almost invariably to the left of the runway. Stomping the right rudder hard enough to stop the yaw/roll and getting the nose down is apparently not an ingrained reflex - pilots in a panic will often try to stop the yaw/roll to the left with right aileron and back pressure - often the very last mistake they'll ever make.

The number of even experienced pilots I see jamming the throttle in is maddening. Aside from the controllability issues, it's not very nice to treat your engine that way.

The number of even experienced pilots I see jamming the throttle in is maddening.
I cringe every time I am preflighting and hear that sudden burst of energy from planes doing work in the pattern

I often wonder how differently people would treat their planes if they weren't club renters

The number of even experienced pilots I see jamming the throttle in is maddening. Aside from the controllability issues, it's not very nice to treat your engine that way.

As a counterpoint, as an instructor I saw just as many students too timid with the throttle. Sometimes not even giving full throttle when called for.

Best goal is to smoothly apply full power. But full power is the most important part.

I don't think the map graphic from the video posted by AdamZ was accurate. I think the crash site must have been beyond the end of RW 18, where that road mentioned(Hanover Street) curves around and goes under the RW 18 centerline, South of the runway. The road where they placed their crash graphic is where the road changes to Evansville Ave.

I live a few miles from mmk. today I decided to take a ride down to the crash site to check it out. It's about mid field, right next to the new solar panels that are being installed. I talked to the airport manager about the incident. Apparently the pilot had just bought the cirrus after owning a PA28-180. His approach was too fast, he bounced on touch down and tried to go around which lead to the torque roll/stall. Weather conditions were perfect, it just was a series of unfortunate events.

I really have a hard time believing you can get the airplane to torque roll. It sounds like it was just a stall which broke to the left.

I really have a hard time believing you can get the airplane to torque roll. It sounds like it was just a stall which broke to the left.

Left-turning-tendencies in a Cirrus at low speed/high power are very real, but hardly unique to the Cirrus.

Caused by a combination of p-factor, spiraling slipstream, and maybe a touch of actual torque.

Whatever the cause, a bunch of right rudder is called for when the yaw/roll to the left begins. Without it, probably just another smoking hole to the left of the runway.

Actually that makes much more sense. In the end he stalled, rolled to the left, missed the solar panels by about 15 feet and slammed through the fence coming to a rest on the main road. Very sad indeed.

One wonders what he had been flying before that had tamer go-around behavior.

One wonders what he had been flying before that had tamer go-around behavior.

Apparently a Cherokee 180, according to post #86.
An airplane that is reasonably forgiving if you are a bit fast over the fence.

Yeah, that's an airplane won't care much if you leave your feet flat on the floor during a go around.

He owned a Cherokee 180 before this evidently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back