Horologists give me your two cents please!

James331

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
James331
From what I read it should settle to +/-1sec day

This watch is a 90’s era watch. It’s done settling. It was just serviced and that range is simply bad, no where near cosc standards. I mean if u just want an omega on ur wrist, go for it, but if ur looking for a good watch, I don’t think that’s it. If u don’t care about the intricacies of a fine mechanical watch, go out and get yourself an invicta. This is not a good watch but it’s ur money, go for it.

This watch is a 90’s era watch. It’s done settling. It was just serviced and that range is simply bad, no where near cosc standards. I mean if u just want an omega on ur wrist, go for it, but if ur looking for a good watch, I don’t think that’s it. If u don’t care about the intricacies of a fine mechanical watch, go out and get yourself an invicta. This is not a good watch but it’s ur money, go for it.

Just reread it, completely missed the +15! WTF?

I’m pretty sure you know someone looking for a Speedmaster isn’t in the market for anything from the QVC channel

Swiss watches are good. I wore an Omega Constellation for over two decades, and am now mildly disappointed in my TAG Hauer, which doesn't keep time as well. Learned my lesson: always look for "Chronometer" on the face of the watch, it's a regulated statement of quality and accuracy. My Omega had it; this Omega and my TAG don't . . . .

You guys know much about Rolexes? I have a mid-60s stainless Explorer that my Dad bought at the factory. I'm sure it hasn't been serviced in decades. Rolex says they won't touch it. The place I talked to said they'd go through it for ... gulp ... $850, minimum, maybe more. Seems a little steep to me, but I'm totally out of my depth here. It's a nice watch, and was my Dad's, so I'd like to wear it at least occasionally.

Certified Chronometer is marketing. What's the practical difference between +6 secs/day and +15 secs/day in a watch that you'll be resetting every few days anyway? If you want a watch that you can set once a year and always rely on to be accurate to the second, you should be buying quartz.

As for the OP, hey the Speedmaster Professional. Wind it. Bond with it. Love it.

You guys know much about Rolexes? I have a mid-60s stainless Explorer that my Dad bought at the factory. I'm sure it hasn't been serviced in decades. Rolex says they won't touch it. The place I talked to said they'd go through it for ... gulp ... $850, minimum, maybe more. Seems a little steep to me, but I'm totally out of my depth here. It's a nice watch, and was my Dad's, so I'd like to wear it at least occasionally.
That is steep. If it doesn't need parts, an independent watchmaker should be able to clean and service it for ~200. Don't take it anyplace that's going to send it out.

Certified Chronometer is marketing. What's the practical difference between +6 secs/day and +15 secs/day in a watch that you'll be resetting every few days anyway? If you want a watch that you can set once a year and always rely on to be accurate to the second, you should be buying quartz.

As for the OP, hey the Speedmaster Professional. Wind it. Bond with it. Love it.

What are your thoughts on a pro for a daily wear watch? Pretty good mx wise compared the the Val 7750 watch Ive been wearing daily

Hmm

3-EEF8595-F7-E1-4308-8159-3447-F7-CF1-F04.jpg

Hey guys,

Been thinking of getting a Speedmaster for some time, went back and forth about the auto vs the pro, but seeing Ive been wearing a automatic for almost a decade figured I’d stick with a auto, and seeing its Xmas figure I’ll give my dad my old watch too.

So the question, any thoughts on this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-Spee...-3510-50-w-Box-Cal-3220-Serviced/323612674434

Thanks!

I can't believe you passed up entitling this thread, "Horologists, give me a minute!"

Paul

I have to admit, a horologist is not what I thought it might have been.

The nicest watch I have ever owned was a Leonides Heuer dive watch (original, before the Tag Heuer). I lost it in the mosh pit of a Bush concert. For a while I wore cheap $10 plastic digital watches. Then I quit wearing watches altogether.

I have a low end Breitling. The repair/service costs on it have exceeded the purchase price. It has been the gift that keeps on spending my money. It is completely dead at this point and since Breitling has eliminated parts sales to repair shops, you are basically forced to use the factory service center.

Here's the link to the factory service prices. Parts are extra.

https://www.breitling.com/us-en/service/prices/breitling/

Bottom line, I don't get enough satisfaction out of a nice watch to justify the upkeep. I will let mine sit in a drawer until I die and someone throws it away or buries it with me.

For the uninitiated, what is the allure of the Omega brand that is driving the price and demand?

For the uninitiated, what is the allure of the Omega brand that is driving the price and demand?

Aside from being a very well built watch by a good name, the history with the Speedmaster Pro

omega-speedmaster-cal-861-first-on-the-moon-case.jpg

o-BUZZ-ALDRIN-MARS-facebook.jpg

560_speedy_iss.jpg

I have to admit, a horologist is not what I thought it might have been.

The nicest watch I have ever owned was a Leonides Heuer dive watch (original, before the Tag Heuer). I lost it in the mosh pit of a Bush concert. For a while I wore cheap $10 plastic digital watches. Then I quit wearing watches altogether.
I misplaced my Breitling in a warehouse when I sold industrial equipment. I had got if for "cost" from a friend in the business, but it was still quite expensive (around a grand, I think). That's the last watch I ever bought. A collector gave me a dozen novelty watches as a gift; I went through all of them, and gave them away as they needed batteries. Then I also stopped wearing one. I'm pretty sure I couldn't start again.

Aside from being a very well built watch by a good name, the history with the Speedmaster Pro

omega-speedmaster-cal-861-first-on-the-moon-case.jpg

o-BUZZ-ALDRIN-MARS-facebook.jpg

560_speedy_iss.jpg
It's also one of very few remaining brands that makes it own watches rather than polishing and casing someone else's movements. It really does all come down to a matter of taste.

I have the watch everyone loves to slag, the dreaded invicta 9937CB. I bought it before I knew anything about watches and wanted to try an automatic on the cheap. I think I paid $200 for the thing. It’s a Submariner homage watch using a Chinese machined case and band mates to the Selitta SW200 movement.

Not long after, I bought a real watch, and figured I’d wear it when the cheap watch died. Well, nine years later that real watch is still waiting, as the Invicta still runs like a champ. Nine years of use and abuse, countless days floating in the lake, and it still keeps time to 4min/month, which I find perfectly acceptable.

Now it’s more of a game, how long will the sucker last?

I have the watch everyone loves to slag, the dreaded invicta 9937CB. I bought it before I knew anything about watches and wanted to try an automatic on the cheap. I think I paid $200 for the thing. It’s a Submariner homage watch using a Chinese machined case and band mates to the Selitta SW200 movement.

Not long after, I bought a real watch, and figured I’d wear it when the cheap watch died. Well, nine years later that real watch is still waiting, as the Invicta still runs like a champ. Nine years of use and abuse, countless days floating in the lake, and it still keeps time to 4min/month, which I find perfectly acceptable.

Now it’s more of a game, how long will the sucker last?

A mechanical watch will outlast you with a small amount of mx

I have a picture of that same stand outside Ephesus in Turkey. The most truthful sign I've ever seen. Took the picture back in 2009. A bit more "zoomed in" than yours.

DSC09563.JPG
BTW, I wear a Citizen Blue Angel Eco-Drive. Battery never quits, I've had it for 10 years (Christmas gift from my wife) and although it's been to the shop a couple times it's been quite reliable. And, as long as it can receive WWVB or the German/Japanese equivalents it is extremely accurate.

Last edited:
My late wife gave me a Moon Watch back in ‘78. Maintenance every five years or so and it keeps excellent time. I keep it tuned in her memory.

Any mechanical watch will require periodic maintenance. If you don’t want to pay the maintenance freight, go quartz and scrap it when it goes haywire (if it ever does). Citizen eco drive is a good choice.

Cheers

Mx wise with my current watch I’ve just had it worked on when it started to loose time. Think I got 7ish years

Speaking of watches... I have a Citizen Pilot watch I want/need to sell.

What's the link? It's at a good price

Here
https://mall.elady.com/products?q=Speedmaster+professional&id=47

Found a coupon code for 5% off, and it ships free....yeah...I did it, merry Christmas me lol

I was debating buying the speedy or not as it’s a few bucks.
Figured I was going to give my dad my val 7750 watch if I got the omega, well it turns out even though my pops had no idea about this he’s been talking to my mom about getting a watch, so I figured it was meant to be, now I just need to buy a new NATO strap for my new watch :)

Back