Horn in your vehicles

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
saracelica
I've observed people don't seem to use the horn in their vehicles anymore. Are they afraid of road rage? Are they multitasking and don't notice car hasnt moved? I've been 3rd car back from the light and multiple seconds go by and nobody moves so I do a quick honk and they go. Also people turn left on their green which is fine but when they don't have the arrow anymore and my light turns green I go. I've been behind people who let 4 people to continue to turn left.

What happened to people honking the horn?!

haven't noticed that. i hear plenty of honking. frequently it's directed at me

It used to be a big pressure reliever, now it might get you ventilated. (from someone who only visits cities)

In Manhattan, the horn is about the only thing preventing even more car accidents than there already are... taxis typically use them to indicate when they're going to pass another cabbie. Or just because they feel like it. At any rate, there, it's sort of background noise.

I only use mine at need, most often when someone doesn't see a light change.

I've been 3rd car back from the light and multiple seconds go by and nobody moves so I do a quick honk and they go.

That's because #'s 1&2 are both head down texting and don't notice the light go green.

That's because #'s 1&2 are both head down texting and don't notice the light go green.

This is more, and more a problem, especially with lights that cycle very fast in high traffic areas. I TRY not to use my horn, and be patient, so it is a rarity that I tap my horn, but sometimes you have to do it, or you can sit at a light forever.

There is a very big cultural difference in the US and most other countries regarding vehicle horn usage. In most other countries, more Asia and somewhat less Europe, the horn means "I'm here, be aware of me." In the US, the horn means "You royally screwed the f*** up, turd breath!" or "get the F***** out of my way, douche hoarder!"

I would probably be more inclined to use mine if it didn't sound like a freight train.

Depends on where you are. In our area they did a study between different towns. When the light turned green they used a stopwatch to determine how many seconds until the light turned green. In one town (Apex) which is primarily people who grew up locally, you could sit through the entire light and nobody would honk their horn. Next door in Cary (Concentration Area for Relocated Yankees), the average time was 1.3 seconds.

This is more, and more a problem, especially with lights that cycle very fast in high traffic areas. I TRY not to use my horn, and be patient, so it is a rarity that I tap my horn, but sometimes you have to do it, or you can sit at a light forever.

You right to tap your horn. If you are fifth in line and every person in front of you waits five seconds to move, that's 25 seconds wasted, and this might mean several cars get trapped again by a red.

I've observed people don't seem to use the horn in their vehicles anymore. Are they afraid of road rage? Are they multitasking and don't notice car hasnt moved? I've been 3rd car back from the light and multiple seconds go by and nobody moves so I do a quick honk and they go. Also people turn left on their green which is fine but when they don't have the arrow anymore and my light turns green I go. I've been behind people who let 4 people to continue to turn left.

What happened to people honking the horn?!

Other people are more patient than you???

My car has what is described in the manual as a "pedestrian friendly alerter" which just sort of feathers the horn because people don't tend to notice an electric car sneaking up on them. On the other hand, far too many people blow through red lights and stop signs around here so I'm obliged to use the real horn in earnest a bit.

I changed my horn to make the sound of gunfire, it seems to be effective! :D

Since I moved out of The City, testing my horn is part of my routine checks, like engine oil, tire pressure, brake fluid, etc. I have to make sure it still works because I never use it any more.

CRh5ir7W0AAgywi.jpg

Rich

Last edited:
The horns in Shanghai left a big impression on me. Parts of the city would turn into a parking lot while every single driver blasted his horn. Not gonna help with 200 immobile cars in front of them, but they do it anyway. The rising background noise is a faithful alarm clock and impossible to sleep through. In some cities horns should just be removed from cars entirely.

The horns in Shanghai left a big impression on me. Parts of the city would turn into a parking lot while every single driver blasted his horn. Not gonna help with 200 immobile cars in front of them, but they do it anyway. The rising background noise is a faithful alarm clock and impossible to sleep through. In some cities horns should just be removed from cars entirely.

Hehe.

I once visited Vietnam for a 5 city tour with a 19 piece big band.

Imagine our amusement when we started seeing this street sign:

1377332365_0453116191.jpg

No, I'm not a trumpet player. I play trombone.

Yeah, the sign was needed, for what it really means. Not that anyone paid attention. Traffic rules in Vietnam are "suggestions."

I had a set of electric horns on a Ford one ton back in the seventies I wish I still had.

They were two big horns like on a semi and were so loud they blew the other car occupants clothes off.

But we rarely use ours. Texas has friendly people unlike elsewhere. ;)

Horn in the Scout doesn't currently work. Fortunately there aren't any mufflers so it balances out.

There is a very big cultural difference in the US and most other countries regarding vehicle horn usage. In most other countries, more Asia and somewhat less Europe, the horn means "I'm here, be aware of me." In the US, the horn means "You royally screwed the f*** up, turd breath!" or "get the F***** out of my way, douche hoarder!"

I would probably be more inclined to use mine if it didn't sound like a freight train.
I went with a stebel, loud and obnoxious. I am more the latter. It'S that or "hey bonehead, you just ran a red light."

In the DC area, the first 5 people are texting and not paying attention. So I'm number 7 and decide to honk. Of course number 6 steps out of his car (he's about 6' 7") and steps towards me like he's gonna beat the snot out of me. All this while the light cycles back to yellow and then red. Of course I'm trying to gesture that I'm honking at the folks in front of him, not him. True story.

Yeah, people really get offended by the use of the horn. Not just US though; my maritime Canada inlaws were incensed when I once honked at someone who was sitting at a green light in Halifax. Apparently honking is considered extremely rude there, especially when done as more than a quick chirp with a friendly wave. F Canada.

especially when done as more than a quick chirp with a friendly wave.

I'm from the real midwest (what some folks call the high plains). Anyway, the quick chirp is the only acceptable use of the horn unless it's an accident about to happen.

That said, I've driven in other countries where continuous use of the horn is expected. It's sorta a fun way to drive...sorta not but go with the flow...

I wanted a set of locomotive horns for my truck till I found out what the damned things cost. :hairraise:

Same here.

I'll give a tap at a stop light maybe, but the real use of the horn is to pull alongside someone who's got a phone to their head and weaving all over, while not paying attention, and just lay on it until they hang up.

I'm just using it as a warning other drivers around the vehicle that's proceeding without an active driver, of course. :)

I smile and make a hang up symbol with one hand while I wait with the horn on. It's hard to have a business meeting from your car when someone in the lane next to you wont stop honking, I figure. Maybe you'll pull over next time.

(I don't care at all about hands free folks and non-weavers. This is definitely saved for the one that's going to just about jump out of their seat because they've completely forgotten that they are operating a frakking motor vehicle altogether and will be surprised back to reality.)

The other time Mr. Horn gets a workout is for left turners who run the red and then end up not clearing the intersection.

Again, just warning everyone to my right that there's an idiot still in the intersection. Heck, if I'm in the left lane with the truck, they might plow right into the idiot. Safety first! ;)

And none of the above is ever needed pretty much anywhere but a couple of places in the city where it's epidemic.

The horn has one other use. Attempting to move deer, antelope, and other critters off or away from the roads near home. Sometimes they bolt, sometimes they bolt into the road, sometimes they just stand there like they didn't hear a thing.

The eight or nine point buck a few nights ago with his rack hanging over the edge of the road but his nose chewing the yummy grass right at the edge of the asphalt didn't seem to care.

Owned my truck for 11 years.... Used the horn maybe 10 times.. All of those were for chasing deer, elk, moose, buffalo and bears off the road so they don't smash my grill... I honestly can't remember using it for another vehicle..:rolleyes2:

My airplane has a horn and I use it often...

In much of the Mid East the horn is the only thing guaranteed to be functional on the vehicle.

Our tenant up in the Panhandle has a big PA speaker on top of his truck he calls his cows with.

Hehe.

1377332365_0453116191.jpg

Yeah, the sign was needed, for what it really means. Not that anyone paid attention. Traffic rules in Vietnam are "suggestions."

:D That's a bugle anyways. No valves!

Hehe.

Yep. You may have noticed that the official rule is the bigger vehicle has the right of way. And that is the only way it would work, seriously, since the traffic is 90% motorbikes. If you want to make a left turn in traffic in a car, you don't wait for a break, because it will never stop. You slowly pull in to traffic and allow the motorbikes to flow around you like ants. Same thing with walking across the street. If you're driving a truck, the cars also have to yield to you.

But a car is an impediment in the City. The only reason we take a car (cab or driver) over motorbike for meetings is if we have to go as a group someplace. We usually don't drive ourselves because somebody has to stay with the car.

Other people are more patient than you???

It's a part of our over PC society. My wife gets angry at me when I use the horn, and when I flash high beams at people who camp out in the left lane. Apparently, it's not kind and gentle enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Manhattan, the horn is about the only thing preventing even more car accidents than there already are... taxis typically use them to indicate when they're going to pass another cabbie. Or just because they feel like it. At any rate, there, it's sort of background noise.
Other than the taxis in Manhattan, I have noticed that people don't honk as much anymore and I think it's due to the fact that there are psychos with guns who will shoot you for honking at them. These are d-bag criminals with illegal guns, not like the law abiding citizens down south (and other places where it's allowed).

Back