Honda’s Best Kept Secret?

I still have yet to understand how massive mining for precious metals is going to offset much of anything.

Ever research production of copper?

Lithium is not a precious metal, in fact it's quite abundant... But yes, lots of mining for lithium. But also, lots of mining for coal...

I had a powerwheels as a kid in the 80s that my dad put a car battery in, Ive driven electrics before.

I took an intro flight in a 172, so I know how to fly a 747. :rolleyes:

outside of drag racing they ain’t too impressive on the track

They were very good at what they were designed for... And now, the performance version of the Model 3 has "track mode" which does some really neat things and gives it some pretty good track performance. That was just released a few months ago, so you may not have heard of it yet.

plus the major quality control issues that they seem to have faced.

FUD, for the most part. Some people did have some issues, but they were blown up by the press (because nothing gets clicks like Tesla) and were not representative of what 99% of people were experiencing. The issues were also quickly fixed by Tesla, as long as they were noted at delivery.

They were very good at what they were designed for... And now, the performance version of the Model 3 has "track mode" which does some really neat things and gives it some pretty good track performance. That was just released a few months ago, so you may not have heard of it yet.

FUD, for the most part. Some people did have some issues, but they were blown up by the press (because nothing gets clicks like Tesla) and were not representative of what 99% of people were experiencing. The issues were also quickly fixed by Tesla, as long as they were noted at delivery.

Well to be fair, I think the problems are more common than just 1% of Model 3 owners. Tesla keeps claiming that these were issues on the early Model 3s. Now it’s on Model 3s that were part of the ramp up. So there’s no telling what you’re getting in quality with this car.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...consumer-reports-dings-the-model-3-2019-02-21

I’ve been on the Tesla forums and you can read post after post of owners having QC issues. Doesn’t matter though because the owners are fanatics. Even taking it in every other month for maint. As long as they get an S or X for a loaner and their 3 gets fixed free of charge, they still love Tesla.

Same thing can be said about the Volt. Can’t tell ya the number of times on FB group I read “electric motor propulsion failure, heater broken, bad 12V battery” and the infamous “stator bearing failure.” Two grand fix on that last one. Doesn’t matter though because they’re fanatics about the product and it and the model 3 are perfect examples of reliability having nothing to do with customer satisfaction. Don’t know if it’s true but I’ve read the Volt has the highest customer satisfaction of any Chevy ever.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/...tisfaction-rating-in-consumer-reports-survey/

Last edited:

When consumer reports doesn’t even recommend them anymore...

Also I have yet to see one hang on a track outside of just going fast in a straight line, heck let’s see one try to do gumball

Well, the new Roadster is supposed to have 620 miles of range. Sounds like a good excuse to buy one. ;)

And its AWD!! Well I think I should put a down payment on one. Going to be kinda tight in there with all our clothes and stuff, considering we'd have to sell the house to afford it. hahaha

Well to be fair, I think the problems are more common than just 1% of Model 3 owners. Tesla keeps claiming that these were issues on the early Model 3s. Now it’s on Model 3s that were part of the ramp up. So there’s no telling what you’re getting in quality with this car.

I’ve been on the Tesla forums and you can read post after post of owners having QC issues.

How many people do you think get on the Tesla forums to complain about how good their fit and finish is?

Doesn’t matter though because the owners are fanatics. Even taking it in every other month for maint. As long as they get an S or X for a loaner and their 3 gets fixed free of charge, they still love Tesla.

Same thing can be said about the Volt. Can’t tell ya the number of times on FB group I read “electric motor propulsion failure, heater broken, bad 12V battery” and the infamous “stator bearing failure.” Two grand fix on that last one. Doesn’t matter though because they’re fanatics about the product and it and the model 3 are perfect examples of reliability having nothing to do with customer satisfaction. Don’t know if it’s true but I’ve read the Volt has the highest customer satisfaction of any Chevy ever.

Meh. My Volt is fine, for what it is: A compromise. If it wasn't the longest-range plug-in hybrid of its day, it would be just another ****ty GM product. But, everyone else's plug-in hybrids suck more. Not necessarily as cars - My Ford Fusion Energi was a better car. GM just stuffed a bigger battery into theirs.

Is it still better than having a gasser? Hell yeah.

When consumer reports doesn’t even recommend them anymore...

Y'know, CR could practically be Tesla's marketing department right now... It's getting almost predictable:

CR: "Tesla Model S is the best car we've ever touched!"
<time passes>
CR: "OMG, don't buy the Tesla Model S! It's got, uh, bad headlights or something."
<Tesla does something>
CR: "OMG, Tesla Model S is the best car we've ever touched!"

CR: "Tesla Model 3 is the most amazing car we've ever breathed on! Except, uh, braking distance! Yeah, that's the ticket! Braking distance!"
<Tesla releases a software update that supposedly makes braking distance better>
CR: "OMG, Tesla Model 3 is made of diamond-plated unicorn farts!"
<time passes>
CR: "Tesla Model 3 is, uh... Unreliable! And the best car ever! According to the same survey!"

They've flipped on the Model 3 *twice* now. It's almost like they know Tesla gets clicks, and that if they change their recommendation on a Tesla, they're going to get a whole bunch of free publicity. TBH, I've lost a lot of faith in CR over this.

Also I have yet to see one hang on a track outside of just going fast in a straight line, heck let’s see one try to do gumball

Are you talking about this? https://www.americangumballrally.com I don't know why it wouldn't be just fine for that...

But yeah, track mode does a lot... Check it out:
Tesla's explanation of what they're doing: https://www.tesla.com/blog/how-track-mode-works
Motor Trend's racing guy talks about what they're doing: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tes...erformance-track-mode-release-version-review/

How many people do you think get on the Tesla forums to complain about how good their fit and finish is?

Meh. My Volt is fine, for what it is: A compromise. If it wasn't the longest-range plug-in hybrid of its day, it would be just another ****ty GM product. But, everyone else's plug-in hybrids suck more. Not necessarily as cars - My Ford Fusion Energi was a better car. GM just stuffed a bigger battery into theirs.

Y'know, CR could practically be Tesla's marketing department right now... It's getting almost predictable:

<time passes>
CR: "OMG, don't buy the Tesla Model S! It's got, uh, bad headlights or something."
<Tesla does something>

CR: "Tesla Model 3 is the most amazing car we've ever breathed on! Except, uh, braking distance! Yeah, that's the ticket! Braking distance!"
<Tesla releases a software update that supposedly makes braking distance better>
<time passes>
CR: "Tesla Model 3 is, uh... Unreliable! And the best car ever! According to the same survey!"

They've flipped on the Model 3 *twice* now. It's almost like they know Tesla gets clicks, and that if they change their recommendation on a Tesla, they're going to get a whole bunch of free publicity. TBH, I've lost a lot of faith in CR over this.

Are you talking about this? https://www.americangumballrally.com I don't know why it wouldn't be just fine for that...

Tesla's explanation of what they're doing: https://www.tesla.com/blog/how-track-mode-works
Motor Trend's racing guy talks about what they're doing: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tes...erformance-track-mode-release-version-review/

It wouldn’t work in gumball because of its tiny range and huge recharge time vs a gas cars refuel time.

Seems the 3 has a skid pad of .84 and a distance to stop of 176’ at 70mph, compare that to a Vette at 1.2Gs and stopping in 100’.

Again like my powerwheels with that car battery, great to quickly zip straight forward, but for the rest of the dance, she’s got two left feet.

<time passes>
<Tesla does something>

<time passes>

Go on the forums and see. Or just do a search for “Tesa poor customer service” and you’ll see a link Tesla forums. That’s another thing, from what I’ve read the buying experience is a PITA. Plenty of other vids on YT just like this guy. But, doesn’t affect sales in the least. They’re blinded by the car to the point it doesn’t matter what kind of quality they’re getting.

Go on the forums and see. Or just do a search for “Tesa poor customer service” and you’ll see a link Tesla forums. That’s another thing, from what I’ve read the buying experience is a PITA. Plenty of other vids on YT just like this guy. But, doesn’t affect sales in the least. They’re blinded by the car to the point it doesn’t matter what kind of quality they’re getting.

One my coworkers just (as in December) got his long awaited Model 3. He was a fairly early depositor and eventually settled for the upscale larger battery one. He told me he likes the car but the buying experience really was bad. He said the store kept trying to get him to do stuff they had to do. And they wouldn't take his car on trade (a Honda Civic) which didn't bather him except for two things: 1) They acted as if an ICE car (how they referred to it) would dirty up their lot, 2) They wouldn't confirm or decline the trade until almost the end of the online process with took a couple of weeks. He also said they kept telling him he needed to do something for the bank which the bank repeated told him he couldn't do, the dealer/store HAD to do.

To top all this off, he got the email survey post purchase and it had a single question: Do you like the car? He does so he clicked yes expecting to be taken to a multi-question detailed survey about the car and the process (as many if not all other dealers do any more). Nope. That was the entire customer survey. So Tesla can report how well they do on customer satisfaction but they're not learning anything.

So he reported to me...
John

Wow

That wouldn’t even be acceptable for a post accident car coming out of a body shop, let alone a NEW car off the manufactures line, even a economy car that bad, forget a expensive tesla designed to cruise around the country club.

Last edited:
It wouldn’t work in gumball because of its tiny range and huge recharge time vs a gas cars refuel time.

According to the site I linked to, speed has nothing to do with winning in gumball?

If I'm misunderstanding "gumball" then... Whoopee, so it's not a rally car. Who cares? That's a fringe use at best, and we're WAY early in the development of EVs. We don't have a mainstream EV pickup yet, and EV SUVs are just getting started. It's gonna be a while before EVs can do everything.

Again like my powerwheels with that car battery, great to quickly zip straight forward, but for the rest of the dance, she’s got two left feet.

Did you read the sites I linked about track mode?

Again, those who are mad tend to be the loudest. There are undoubtedly both bad fit&finish and bad customer service stories to be had, especially the latter during the huge upswing in production in the second half of 2018. Production was a huge problem for them earlier in the year, because they had never produced cars at that volume. Now, they're mostly over their production woes and are pumping out around 6,000 cars per week... So now they're having to learn how to deliver that many cars. It's not going to go perfectly no matter how well planned.

But, Tesla has shown time and time again that they are capable of learning and quickly improving things. The "sky is falling" stuff is just a quick way to get clicks from the haters, just like the puffery seen on some EV sites gets clicks from the fanboys.

According to the site I linked to, speed has nothing to do with winning in gumball?

If I'm misunderstanding "gumball" then... Whoopee, so it's not a rally car. Who cares? That's a fringe use at best, and we're WAY early in the development of EVs. We don't have a mainstream EV pickup yet, and EV SUVs are just getting started. It's gonna be a while before EVs can do everything.

Did you read the sites I linked about track mode?

Again, those who are mad tend to be the loudest. There are undoubtedly both bad fit&finish and bad customer service stories to be had, especially the latter during the huge upswing in production in the second half of 2018. Production was a huge problem for them earlier in the year, because they had never produced cars at that volume. Now, they're mostly over their production woes and are pumping out around 6,000 cars per week... So now they're having to learn how to deliver that many cars. It's not going to go perfectly no matter how well planned.

But, Tesla has shown time and time again that they are capable of learning and quickly improving things. The "sky is falling" stuff is just a quick way to get clicks from the haters, just like the puffery seen on some EV sites gets clicks from the fanboys.

Set it to god mode if you want, it's still pulling like .86Gs on the skid pad and 176' stopping distance, which would be fair for a 1980s camaro, but I can get a nice F body camaro for like $4k.

And per gumball and the like, having to wait to charge at every 300mi would be a deal breaker.

So it cant do a auto rally with all the other fancy cars, and can't hang on a twisty track with anything near the same price point, you can't even practically cruise the US with it, it's a "look how green I am" car, just don't look too close because it looks like it's been in a crash and poorly fixed (new from the factory!). I mean I can look past the scratches, maybe it happened when it left the factory, maaaaayyyybe even the fender gaps, even though I personally can align panels better myself on stuff I’ve worked on, but dirt in the paint, that added on top goes from new factory woes or “handbuilt/limited production” and crosses to “we just don’t give a F’ ”.

And all for a very high price tag.

Again I like the IDEA of the electric car, just not one from teslas factory of half arse motors, and not today with today's battery tech.

Last edited:
you can't even practically cruise the US with it

Sure you can. It's the only electric car make that you CAN do that in.

it's a "look how green I am" car

Nope. A Leaf, or a Prius (which is really lagging behind, frankly) is a "look at me I'm green" car. A Tesla is a "look at this cool car!" car. It's not a weird gree-conobox like a Bolt or Leaf (or i3 or most of the rest of the EVs out there). It's an attractive car that just happens to be electric. That's one reason for the high demand for it.

I mean I can look past the scratches, maybe it happened when it left the factory, maaaaayyyybe even the fender gaps, even though I personally can align panels better myself on stuff I’ve worked on, but dirt in the paint, that added on top goes from new factory woes or “handbuilt/limited production” and crosses to “we just don’t give a F’ ”.

Again, this stuff is pretty rare. I have quite a few friends with Teslas, mostly Model 3s, and none of them have had these issues.

not today with today's battery tech.

What's wrong with today's battery tech? Let me guess, It doesn't charge fast enough? It doesn't need to charge fast unless you're on a road trip, and with the Superchargers, even on a road trip you can travel the way most people do on road trips. If you carry all your food and beverages in a cooler and pee in a bottle on road trips, yeah, it won't work... But that's not how most people operate.

Sure you can. It's the only electric car make that you CAN do that in.

Nope. A Leaf, or a Prius (which is really lagging behind, frankly) is a "look at me I'm green" car. A Tesla is a "look at this cool car!" car. It's not a weird gree-conobox like a Bolt or Leaf (or i3 or most of the rest of the EVs out there). It's an attractive car that just happens to be electric. That's one reason for the high demand for it.

Again, this stuff is pretty rare. I have quite a few friends with Teslas, mostly Model 3s, and none of them have had these issues.

What's wrong with today's battery tech? Let me guess, It doesn't charge fast enough? It doesn't need to charge fast unless you're on a road trip, and with the Superchargers, even on a road trip you can travel the way most people do on road trips. If you carry all your food and beverages in a cooler and pee in a bottle on road trips, yeah, it won't work... But that's not how most people operate.

Sadly, with where th battery tech is today, no, it doesn’t change fast enough, to drive coast to coast, good luck finding super chargers outside of the big cities, and even at that point now I’m changing my plans based on my car, nope.

Plus it’s not cool, outside of straight line it performs on par with a 1980s sports car, the inside looks like a apple store made a love child with a scifi movie and the lines ain’t exactly that sexy. I mean for 15k I could forgive all this, but at their price point I just don’t get it.

Sadly, with where th battery tech is today, no, it doesn’t change fast enough, to drive coast to coast, good luck finding super chargers outside of the big cities

Clearly you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to Tesla. Here's a map of the current Tesla Superchargers in the continental US:

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 11.26.35 PM.png

This doesn't actually show all of them - Where they overlap, it's eliminating all of them. There are tons in the Bay Area and New England, for example, which aren't showing up here. Here's a more comprehensive map from Tesla, but it's harder to see how well spread out they are because the dots are so small at this zoom level:

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 11.51.32 PM.png

Tesla has spread their Superchargers out along the Interstate highway system as well as other major thoroughfares, which is why Teslas are the only viable BEVs for long road trips.

Still not even close to gas stations in quantity nor refuel speed, lots of zero coverage, also guess no mexico etc

Glad you like your car, if it makes you happy thats all that matters

Still not even close to gas stations in quantity nor refuel speed, lots of zero coverage, also guess no mexico etc

If you're at a gas station, does it matter if there's another gas station a block away?

For most people, it's plenty fast. Drive 3.5 hours, plug car in, go in and pee, grab coffee or food for the next leg, go back outside, unplug and go for another 3.5 hours.

There are certainly spots where it's less than convenient, but those should pretty much be gone in the next couple of years.

There is some coverage in Mexico and Canada... The top map is from PlugShare and is crowd-sourced, the bottom one is Tesla's official map and you can see some of the Mexican Superchargers on it. I was focused mainly on ConUS so left out some of the Mexican and Canadian Superchargers.

Wow
That wouldn’t even be acceptable for a post accident car coming out of a body shop, (....)
LOL
You would not even notice most of the defects that Jason pointed out in the video. He has a trained eye and crawled all over the car.
BTW, he swapped that car our for another Model 3 and guess what

LOL
You would not even notice most of the defects that Jason pointed out in the video. He has a trained eye and crawled all over the car.
BTW, he swapped that car our for another Model 3 and guess what

Over 4,100lbs, long 4 door car, and it has “track mode”
Good marketing Tesla, good marketing lol
And Tesla lies about its weights, not like a little lie ie this isn’t the 130lb chick saying she’s 120, no we’re taking the 200lb chick on tinder who uses a decade old college photo from when she was 120 lol

It also doesn’t take a trained eye to see misaligned fenders, scratches and dirt in the paint, heck even Steve wonder could feel dirt clumps that big. Also not sure how trained he is when he doesn’t know how to use basic tools like a simple caliper.
From the video his only gauge of performance is stomping on the gas, about the same as my grandma, he doesn’t talk about the body roll, skid pad, or braking of that 4,100lb land yacht.

Last edited:
We're just back from our first road trip in the Clarity. A report on that trip that I posted to the Clarity forum:

I know parts of this have been teased elsewhere, but here goes.

The TL;DR version: the folks that said the Clarity would not be a good choice for long trips were wrong.

The details...

We had to go to S FL for a family commitment, and it was the first long trip in the Clarity we purchased last November.

Day 1: Drove straight through from N GA to Ft. Lauderdale, where my daughter lives. About 820 miles. Left at 5:30A and arrived 7:30P.
Day 2: No driving, re: family stuff and my daughter drove.
Day 3: Visited with friends in Pompano Beach, then to Jacksonville Beach to stay with relatives. Small detour to a Yard Art Emporium in Barberville, FL.
Day 4: Drove to Tallahassee to visit with a high school buddy and spend the night.
Day 5: Drove back home.

Summary: 1,663.5 miles, 39.054 gals burned, 42.6 mpg overall. In spreadsheet format:

47258551682_64d6cc9f94_o.png

Miscellaneous thoughts...

1) The car was quite comfortable. The seats were fine, with the addition of a mesh lumbar support that I always use.

2) The road noise was, overall, a bit on the high side when the road surfaces were the least bit rough. I measured 82db on one moderately rough stretch of State Road in S GA, albeit into about a 15-20 mph wind.

3) I intentionally did not charge during the trip, though I had opportunities to. Mainly because I wanted to see how the car did as a pure hybrid. Next trip I will, though the effect on the numbers above would have been pretty minimal.

4) My "flow" was habitual enough that I never accidentally drove off in EV - HV all the way. As mentioned elsewhere, over the entire trip the EV range dropped from 44 miles to 24 miles remaining.

5) I loved the driver assist features, especially the ACC. The LKAS was nice as well. Together, I think they do marginally reduce driver fatigue.

6) Only issues were minor ones with the infotainment system. Once it could not find my iPhone for CarPlay - a reset took care of that. A handful of times we got messages about some phone not being found. My wife, Karen, has an iPhone as well and it may have been Bluetooth hiccups.

7) No need to go into it again, but the car's fuel efficiency display was consistently optimistic, by 12% on average.

8) No angry bees. At speed, could not even hear the engine over the road and wind noise. Once in a while around town we would joke that the bees were maybe just starting to get a bit perturbed, but nothing obnoxious.

9) It did seem like 300 mile legs on gas alone would be pushing it. Logical, since 7 gals and 40 mpg only buys you 280 miles. Right around 225 miles is when we started planning a gas stop, with the gauge showing 2 bars and maybe 50 HV miles or so remaining.

As I prefaced this thread, the Clarity is, for us, a great cross country vehicle. The gas mileage is truly impressive for a car this size. The trip cost us just under $100 in gas. In our Ford Flex, the last car we've made the trip in, the cost would have been roughly double.

Anyway, this might all be kinda tedious to those who have owned their Clarities for a while and already taken trips. I hope its somewhat informative to those lurkers who might still be undecided.

Oh, and as much as we love our mountain home, it was nice seeing the ocean again - this at the Jacksonville Beach pier:

47261181052_cf1aca0c08.jpg

I wonder if the Clarity "behaves" when it runs out of gas? (ie, doesn't freak out and prevent you from using the battery to get to a gas station.)

Who told you it wouldn't be good for long trips? That's the whole reason you cart around an engine and transmission still!

I'm curious as to why someone told you your Clarity would not be a good road car. I drive the Fusion PHEV and it's the most comfortable highway car I've ever driven. Last November my daughter's flight out of State College, PA got canceled and I had to run up there to get her. I left Atlanta Friday afternoon at 3:30 PM, got to northern Virginia at 12:45 PM, left there the following day at 6 AM, got to State College just a few minutes after 9, left there at 9:15, returned home at 10:30. Friday's drive was about 600 miles and Saturday's was a little more than 900. The Fusion uses a little more fuel than your Clarity, I averaged 39 mpg on that trip, with the cruise set between 65 and 75 depending on the speed limit and road conditions. I was a little saddle sore from sitting that long, but other than that we were both fairly fresh when we arrived home.

It was just some random wag on a Clarity forum.

As an aside, we can “power through” long road trips like this pretty well. But on returning home, we often need a couple “recovery days”. We’re just starting to emerge from the fatigue about now.

Thinking back on it, I don’t think anyone said the Clarity would make a bad cross country car. It was more that if your routine mission took you well beyond the Clarity’s EV range, that something like a straight Accord or Insight Hybrid or equivalent might be a better choice.

Complicating the decision is that the Clarity base model can come in cheaper than an Accord Hybrid, and overall has more features as standard. And that’s before the $7,500 tax credit.

A thread was just started on the Clarity subforum about recent price drops.

https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/2019-honda-clarity-price-drop.5069/

It’s a developing story, but the gist is that...

1) Honda seems to be offering a $6k price drop, at least in certain states, and,

2) There seems to be little or no Clarity availability in other states.

#1 is great news if anyone is in the market and in the right locale. At least one person got that pricing at Costco.
$26k before tax incentives has been reported.

Not such great news for the resale value of used ones, at least for those who got in at the relatively higher prices.

The thread also mentions Chevy is offering $6k off on the Bolt, though I don’t see that on the Chevy site.

A thread was just started on the Clarity subforum about recent price drops.

https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/2019-honda-clarity-price-drop.5069/

It’s a developing story, but the gist is that...

1) Honda seems to be offering a $6k price drop, at least in certain states, and,

2) There seems to be little or no Clarity availability in other states.

#1 is great news if anyone is in the market and in the right locale. At least one person got that pricing at Costco.
$26k before tax incentives has been reported.

Not such great news for the resale value of used ones, at least for those who got in at the relatively higher prices.

The thread also mentions Chevy is offering $6k off on the Bolt, though I don’t see that on the Chevy site.

Wow.

The arrival of the $35K Tesla Model 3 has put a lot of pressure on the others to reduce prices and do better. They're not just hurting BMW and Mercedes any more.

Bought a 2 year old fully loaded Volt for $14,000 and I live 9 miles from work. With our solar at home with a Tesla Battery Backup our entire electric bill for 2018 was less than $50.

I don’t care about carbon foot print or being green. I just didn’t want to buy gas.

Have had the car now for 5 years and I’ve put less than 3 tanks of gas through it. It’s been problem free and in 5 years it’s not needed an oil change and I still have the tires on it that it came with. I haven’t spent $10 in maintenance on the car.

Now you're talking. That would be my reason for buying one. Cheaper to own and operate. No other reason would fly with me.

4) I had no idea the Grand Coulee Dam and some of its counterparts on the Columbia were so big, dwarfing the Hoover Dam and Glen Canyon Dam that I'm more familiar with.

Oh, yeah. GCD has a tremendous capacity. My only question is whether or not it can generate that capacity year around. The reason I ask is I had a coop job working for the contractor building Lower Granite Lock and Dam on the Snake River back in the early 1970s when I was an engineering student at WSU. It took 25,000 cubic feet per second to run one generator at that dam and it had (ultimately) 6 generators (150,000 cubic feet per second). Much of the year the river flow is less than that, but during the spring runoff it would greatly exceed that. 150 MW during that time. The generators were rated for something less, but the one time I looked, they were running a bit over rated output. I saw over 300,000 cubic feet per second one spring. Now, what is the flow at GCD and over what part of the year?

FWIW, the long-range one now starts at $49,900, but it also has AWD now.

Now you're talking. AWD was a requirement when we bought our last car in 2013.

<time passes>
<Tesla does something>

<time passes>

Oh, heck. I don't pay any attention to CR ratings on cars. The last time I paid any attention to them was back in the early 1970s. They didn't like my 1974 Subaru basically because it didn't ride like a Cadillac. No kidding, what did they expect?

Honda's best kept secret is this number right here:
Honda%20CB1000R%2011.jpg

The CB 1000r. Engine and chassis from the CBR. Italian styling, these were built in Milan. Honda quality and dependability. I call mine il Negrini. 55mpg last time I checked. You losers can have your go carts.

Honda%20CB1000R%2011.jpg

The CB 1000r. Engine and chassis from the CBR. Italian styling, these were built in Milan. Honda quality and dependability. I call mine il Negrini. 55mpg last time I checked. You losers can have your go carts.

Wow! That looks like a hoot. After so many years off the bikes I bet I'd scare myself silly on that.

Honda%20CB1000R%2011.jpg

What part of that is "Italian styling"?? Some things cannot be unseen....

What part of that is "Italian styling"?? Some things cannot be unseen....

Yeah, not sure I follow how a naked bike is "Italian", but whatevs. It's a crotch rocket CBR without the fairings and a more upright seating position. Still a cool bike, but it's not like it's a Duc knockoff (thank god for that).

Yeah, not sure I follow how a naked bike is "Italian", but whatevs. It's a crotch rocket CBR without the fairings and a more upright seating position. Still a cool bike, but it's not like it's a Duc knockoff (thank god for that).
Says the blind. il Negrini has ben mistaken for a Ducati on more than one occasion. Italian styling, but it won't break like a Duc, and I don't need my own Ducati mechanic to fix it if it does. And if it looked so horrid Suzuki wouldn't have copied it for their naked sportbike:
2000000001.jpg

Says the blind. il Negrini has ben mistaken for a Ducati on more than one occasion. Italian styling, but it won't break like a Duc, and I don't need my own Ducati mechanic to fix it if it does. And if it looked so horrid Suzuki wouldn't have copied it for their naked sportbike:

I didn't say anything about the Honda/Suzuki (or Yamaha FZ-bikes) looking horrid. They look good, I'm just saying I don't see anything particularly Italian about the design. They look like a sport bike without the fairings, that's it. I mean, sure Ducati has been making "naked" bikes with the Monster lineup since 90's, but if you put a Monster 900 and a CBR 1000 next to one of these nakeds and ask someone which bike it looks similar to, they'll probably pick the CBR 1000.

Says the blind. il Negrini has ben mistaken for a Ducati on more than one occasion. Italian styling, but it won't break like a Duc, and I don't need my own Ducati mechanic to fix it if it does. And if it looked so horrid Suzuki wouldn't have copied it for their naked sportbike

Funny. The most reliable motorcycle I’ve ever owned (and still do) is a Ducati Multistrada. Two oil changes, a set of tires, and routine fluid changes is all it’s needed. None of which required a Ducati tech. Next service due at 17,000. Least reliable I’ve ever owned was a Honda VF500.

If anything those things look closer to an S1000r than any Ducati model available today, so I’d call it European styling at best.

Funny. The most reliable motorcycle I’ve ever owned (and still do) is a Ducati Multistrada. Two oil changes, a set of tires, and routine fluid changes is all it’s needed. None of which required a Ducati tech. Next service due at 17,000. Least reliable I’ve ever owned was a Honda VF500.

If anything those things look closer to an S1000r than any Ducati model available today, so I’d call it European styling at best.

Well, let's not pretend Ducati has a reputation for reliability and long service intervals, lol. However, the Mutistrada was a bit of a different animal for Ducati and they pulled it off well.

My 2010 Multi 1200S was great for the first five years or so, but starting in spring of '16, it started having old Ducati syndrom bad. And anytime you take it in it's at least $700 to fix anything. Went back to BMW and got a GS water boxer. The R1150RT BMW I owned before the Multi went 90kmi without an issue and was still running fine when I sold it to the next guy.

Funny. The most reliable motorcycle I’ve ever owned (and still do) is a Ducati Multistrada. Two oil changes, a set of tires, and routine fluid changes is all it’s needed. None of which required a Ducati tech. Next service due at 17,000.
You're bragging about 17K miles? Really? A good way to keep a bike from breaking is to not ride it.

Why does everything have to degenerate to a ****ing contest?

My favorite bike of all time was my 1968 Ducati 250. When it was running of course. And only during the day because the lights would burn out after a few hours use.

Back